Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Mars War

MAP21: Highway to Hell

As a continuous player, I think I took the optimal route in this map. I ran forward immediately, causing the imp and demon behind me to infight, giving me a little space to clear the star-shaped room. I then took the lift at the top point, as mentioned above, which got me to a soulsphere. Now I had most of a megasphere's worth of health and armour, I could follow the path round to that horrendous DOORTRAK tunnel and unlock the blue skull key. I found my shotgun ammo draining rapidly going this way, as the SSG was very much a primary weapon against all the clumps of Demons (I'd have grabbed the invulnerability and chainsaw for that on a pistol start... Although I don't know how I'd have beaten the three Pain Elementals by the soulsphere).

I found health and armour rather generous on this map throughout, to be honest, but I think without all the ammo I came in with, I'd have needed the soulspheres I left, and wouldn't have had the luxury of leaving the megasphere until I'd finished the map so that I could carry it over. The strangest part was that there's loads of ammo in the room with the SSG, and four chainguns not far from it, and I never checked in either place until I'd made it to the exit! So there clearly is plenty of ammo, but it's cached away, rather than spread evenly.

I liked this map, all told. It had some great ideas (an ambush out of the sky!) and was competently put together. The secret with the RAM was an odd thing to have, but I think he was taking a stab at Bill Gates' infamous quote on how much memory you'd ever need. Damaging floors weren't ubiquitous like in the previous couple of maps, there weren't any crushers (that weren't decorative) and game play was reasonably intense, without being very dangerous. I will admit here, in this public forum, to using IDCLIP to escape the hole in the NUKAGE. I'd assumed jumping in there would trigger something, but evidently it didn't, and rather than committing suicide or waiting for my Radsuit and high health and armour to run out, I figured I'd save time. The switch wasn't too far, although it was easy enough to miss when I first walked in.

As a general note, I think playing with the music that you hear in GZDoom is definitely boosting the experience. I've seen complaints about the MIDIs from other players, but I've generally enjoyed the sound track. MAP21 was no exception!

MAP21:Highway to Hell was a lot of fun to play through. The combat felt fast-paced, and the Heretic/Hexen-ish midi amplifies that feeling. Progression is simple enough, though the elevator that lets you progress to the rest of the map isn't telegraphed very well. I initially took the route to the blue key, and was stuck for quite a while trying to figure out where to go next, even going as far as looking at the demo of the map in the titlescreen demo loop. But even then, the only reason I found the lift was by accident... At the very least the lift is almost guaranteed to lower at the start of the map thanks to a cacodemon passing over it. The toxic revenant pit also isn't the most obvious thing either, but at least the solution isn't "press use on a wall" lol.

I like the map overall, it had a solid theme, interesting ideas, and was a lot of fun to play.

Maps in order of preference:

Spoiler

MAP10:Transport Ship
MAP14:Civilian Center
MAP09:Death Management
MAP08:Bunker Zero
MAP06:Beta Base
MAP04:Alpha Base

MAP21:Highway to Hell (new!)
MAP16:Enlightenment
MAP31:Wolfenstein
MAP20:Land of the Lame
MAP19:The Foundation
MAP12:Operations
MAP11:Dropship
MAP32:Hell Labs
MAP07:Infestation
MAP17:Commercial Sector
MAP15:The Fringes
MAP13:Warehouse
MAP03:Manufacturing plant
MAP05:Crash Sight/Site
MAP02:Theta base
MAP01:Terraforming station
MAP18:The Edge

MAP21: Highway to Hell (Kills: 134/135, Secrets: 2/2, Deaths: 1)

Much more mean-spirited than the previous maps (any of them, barring perhaps the teleport ambush in MAP15). The death came in the Arachnotron and Revenant room after a few high-rolls from the Revenant rockets. Combat was more visceral, although still fairly incidental (not a bad thing). The visual design was more cohesive, but I really loved the DOORTRAK rooms, they were a terrible eyesore but i loved them, and they really made Spectres blend into the environment (which is I assume why they were placed there). Not much else to say.

MAP21: Highway to Hell (Mars War)

PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4, HNTR-PS, no saves, 100% everything

This one was tough! What makes it hard is not the difficulty of the encounters, rather the supply starvation. I didn't do myself any favours by picking the less optimal route though, if I went for the secret megasphere first instead of the secret backpack I wouldn't have had so much trouble. Still, levels like this encapsulate the ultimate Doom experience in my view - you're given just enough supplies along the way to stay alive just a little longer while you inch your way ever closer to the exit, making this a survival mission rather than a simple shooter.

Visually this seems a lot more refined than previous levels, there's a few misalignments (most noticeably in the super shotgun room) but other than that I enjoy how it looks, reminds me of E3M3 in places. The level isn't flawless though - progression is unintuitive at the start and the arachnotron/revenant room seemed to be a bit luck based. The DOORTRAK room with the spectres and the plasma gun encounter are fun moments that more than compensate for the flaws, I think. I like how you can see what the switch at the end of the DOORTRAK room does, a nice touch. Great level, looking forward to see what's next!

Levels in order of preference:

Spoiler

MAP32: Hell Labs

MAP15: The Fringes

MAP13: Warehouse

MAP08: Bunker Zero

MAP09: Death Management

MAP07: Infestation

MAP20: Land of the Lame

MAP16: Enlightenment

MAP14: Civilian Center

MAP19: Foundation

MAP04: Alpha Base

MAP10: Transport Ship

MAP12: Operations - Earth

MAP11: Drop Ship

MAP18: The Edge

MAP17: Commercial Sector

MAP31: Wolf 3D

MAP02: Theta Base

MAP05: Crash Sight

MAP06: Beta Base

MAP03: Manufacturing Plant

MAP01: Terraforming Station

MAP20 (marswar.wad)

I really don't know how to rate this. As a Doom level it sucks, it has plenty of lost souls, some imps and not much else. But this is a Heretic map transfered into Doom, I never played Heretic... I don't know how I would have rated MAP31 without having played Wolf3D. Some experts may tell me if it is a good or bad recreation. I watched a video of this level's playthrough (as Heretic ofc) but it is not the same.

MAP20 (marsw301.wad)

Yeah, after MAP15 another "great" BFG setup. Here it is actually useful, so I practiced the timing and of course in February I checked with the replay editor how many tics I had. The teleporting imps are best to be ignored. A warning to mappers: DO NOT design exits like that. If you accidentally skip the exit linedef, you are literally trapped in the exit pit. Make a height variation less than 25 units so you can step back and step in again.

MAP21

I am happy when I read that people like this map. It is great, especially weapon placement is cool. Also, in one room we have some sort of a 50shades.wad predecessor :)

map21 fda

i had similar issues to @elend until a friendly caco alerted me to the 'hidden' lift. i liked this. the progression was not obvious, but the layout of the map was fairly easy to keep in my minds eye and i enjoyed the 'puzzle' to find what i had to do next

the combat complements this puzzle aspect, with miserly ammo forcing you to choose between your weapon options to not leave yourself short. there are no massive unfair moments and the map is small enough that if you were to make a drastic mistake with your ammo and leave yourself in an impossible situation so even replaying it isnt too bad. very good map aside from that weird lift choice at the start.

im surprised at people struggling in the arachnotron/rev room; i just ran straight through it and found you can cheese the revs because the stairs are too steep

glBoom+ 2.5.1.7um, skill 4 then 3 then 2 then 1 pistol start, no saves

Ya'll weren't kidding. I tried to drop the skill to 3 but there was no change! Skill 2 still no change! Unless it's very subtle. So I took it all the way to skill 1. I still struggled but made it in the end.

I did love that door texture tunnel. It looked as if they mine pencil lead there.

edit: watching @rehelekretep trying to make a revenant and spectre infight to save ammo cured me of any desire to beat this on skill 4 hahaha

Spoiler

Edited by DuckReconMajor

MAP22: Xerox

This is a level that's satisfying enough to play, with progression that's straightforward enough once you settle into a rhythm while managing to avoid becoming tedious, and a succession of relatively punchy combat set-pieces as you make your way to first the blue key, then the red key, then finally the exit.  As with the preceding level there's a sense of greater maturity in the author's style here, a more developed set of skills and sense of the desired aesthetic which both are put to use to produce a more consistent and engaging experience than many of the middle-episode maps.

And if that's all there was to this level, then it would be enjoyable but not exactly noteworthy and I'd probably have forgotten its specifics by this time next week.  The map also functions, however, as something of a meditation upon the use of, and place for, symmetry and repetition within Doom mapping; I was slow to pick up on this, mostly dismissing the side-by-side secrets in the north-eastern section as perhaps a product of how sectors had been formed and space had been divided, or maybe as a quirk of the author's mapping habits, and by the time the second pair of symmetrical secret areas appeared I was quite prepared to ask "Come on, really?" and then I stepped into the cube farm of the eastern node and was bluntly reminded of the map's title.  Of course there are going to be duplicated, repetitive, and symmetrical areas here; it's right there in the title, it's part of the theme, it's what the map is doing, and it's to the author's credit that repetition is used without ever becoming tedious or feeling like it's just padding out a map with by presenting the same unengaging encounters multiple times in a quantity-over-quality ordeal for the player.

There's a boldness, too, in the author's decision to present an expansive vista of the warehouse and loading dock right at the start of the map, to show off this vast and cavernous space and its hitscanner denizens as though to tease the player with the foreshadowing of a climactic encounter, only for what whole area to be, as far as I can tell, entirely optional within the map's progression.  Yes there are significant power-ups to be found here (though they're of more use to continuous players than those pistol-starting each map, given that the area isn't accessible until the very end of the level) but I'm impressed that after a slew of maps in the middle of the WAD in which the author seemed unfocused and indecisive, that's been turned on its head here to create a map that's so confident in its own engaging gameplay that the author has gone to the trouble of building a large, distinctive, prominent, and visually appealing area and then leaving the choice of whether or not to engage with that content entirely up to the player.

Maps 16-18

I have some catching up to do!

I didn't much care for 16 or 17, but I enjoyed 18 well enough. I'm a bit too tired atm to write out much. Usually I don't like levels with the SS enemies, but this one was still a good layout.

Ranking: (preferred <---      ---> less preferred)

11, 8, 9, 15, 18, 10, 32, 13, 17, 5, 4, 6, 1, 16, 12, 31, 7, 14, 2, 3

The MAP21 lift lowers as you approach it, which is how I accidentally discovered it.

MAP20: Land of the Lame (UV/continuous)

28:42 | 100% Everything

Not too big a fan of this one. It seems pretty sprawling at first (and for a while I had no idea where I was as I wandered) but eventually it most boils down to four quadrants connect by the X-shaped intersection. Lots of damaging floors here, and not really enough radsuits/invuls to do much more than a first pass on everything. (Good luck if you want to revisit things.) And the crushers are obnoxious. (The secret soulsphere in the nukage that crushes you when you get it really adds injury to insult.) The theme's nicely done, and the map would actually be a lot of fun to explore if the architecture itself wasn't literally trying to murder you every other step.

MAP21: Highway to Hell (UV/continuous)

23:35 | 100% Everything

Holy wow what a hot start! I was laboring under all the cacos when suddenly the lift out of the star area activated, and I turned left and found more cacos and a swarm of PEs, so ran away back to the entrance where I tried to make a stand, thankfully with a ton of carryover ammo. I took a little detour over the two find the blue key (locked away.) Then I went back up the star-lift and to the right, and found myself running for my life for the entire northeastern section of the map {whew!} I really enjoyed how the blue key was revealed from the tunnels. This one ended up being a lot of fun (albeit a bit exhausting!)

100% kills, 2/2 secrets

Big fan of the pistol start here, as only having the RL creates some very interesting combat choices. Would've liked it more without the pinky immediately behind the player that'll probably take a chunk out right from the get-go, though. Health is plentiful but armor is rare and ammo sparse throughout. Overall the map was pretty good, though that hidden lift gave me trouble as well and I ended up having to look here (though more time on the minimap may have clued me in).

MAP22: Xerox (Kills: 100%, Secrets: 5/5, Deaths: 0)
    I very much liked this one, it's large and the emphasis is on the exploration. The mapping style seemed to meander trough E1, E2, E3 and suddenly jump from one style from another. The highlights have to be the bits of environmental storytelling, for example the Baron and the dozens of Zombies he slaughtered in the warehouse area, the truck (a la TNT's) filled with Chaingunners and the Red Key room.

Ah, the Red Key room. At first I was puzzled, what are these Doomcute things supposed to be, and then I saw the flashing lights, looked ad the map's name and realized - these Cacos are scanning/copying their bums! Perhaps the map's name is also the reference to the fact that it seems to copy a lot of different styles? The music is also pretty good and complemented the exploratory aspect very well. Good map.

Really good music for this map, and it's fun to play, too. One of the monster closets didn't activate for me where the rocket launcher "secret" is, so I left with a reduced kill count, but my experience was still very enjoyable. I liked exploring, and I was particularly happy that it didn't seem to matter where I went, I was making some sort of appreciable progress. I'm not sure what this would be like if you're not playing continuous, as my ammo reserves kept dropping significantly on whichever weapon I was using, but then topping up when I switched and used something else for a bit.

The warehouse section being optional is interesting, and the truck there was really well done (and would presumably look terrible if you could get outside and see it from another angle!) I couldn't help but feel like we're not really in "Hell" here, so much as a weird, warped corporate version. The endless cubicles of photocopiers (which are amusingly well-detailed) seem to add to that impression, but overall it's a mixed Doom environment. Each section is pretty well-made (perhaps the fleshy exterior section is a bit rougher than the rest), but as a whole it's very quick to change theme. Still, it does help you avoid getting lost, as every room being it's own colour scheme does at least mean you've always got landmarks for reference. Finding all of the secrets wasn't tough, yet the rocket launcher and ammo didn't feel like they were hidden at all.

Unless I'm mistaken, the next map has only 20 enemies. Intriguing...

Map22 - HMP, Continous Play

Haha, oh my, now I get why the map is called Xerox. The absolutely lovely photocopiers are a great idea and even have Cacos photocopying their butts on them. Amazing. Other than that this was a really neat little map which gives you constant progress, has a neat optional warehouse, incl. a delivery of chaingunners, which you can take out wonderfully with a well place rocket. It's the little things like this, that make Doom so much fun.

If it wasn't for TheOrganGrinder's post and some searching I wouldn't have figured out what Xerox was. Seems like it's like how a vacuum cleaner can be called a "hoover".

MAP22:Xerox starts off by being a bricky base, which can be a bit of a jarring transition from the hellish map we had before. Then again, we got here through a portal... so whatever. It flips through themes quite often, but the theme also still somehow feels consistent throughout. I also liked the look of the rooms, like the big triangle you get to be both below and ontop of.

Combat was sort of "there" for the most part, didn't think much of it except the archie with the barrels. He may survive that loud blast, but he also might not! It was overall pretty fun though.

Nothing about the map itself was all that annoying or bothersome. In fact, it was pretty fun. What did bother me though is the midi, and specifically the midi, not the mod tracker because I'm playing with the midis. I'm playing with headphones, and the midi has certain tracks entirely dedicated to one of the ears. And the ears feel so unbalanced in what they heard that it bothered me throughout the map. I'm actually overblowing how strongly I'm feeling about it, but it's still an issue IMO. The midi is otherwise fine though, I guess.

Since I didn't get the joke of cacodemons xeroxing their butts until like right when I figured out what a xerox was, I didn't really find it funny. I appreciate the effort though, it's the sort of thing I probably should know, and probably would've giggled at a little had I known.

Spoiler

MAP21:Highway to Hell

MAP22:Xerox (new!)

MAP22:Xerox

glBoom+ 2.5.1.7um, skill 4 pistol start, no saves

The combat here is much more my pace. As mentioned, another much more coherent entry as we get away from that crazy strange patch of beginner mapping experimentation, which I did like but I think we're all getting whiplash from the stark changes in pace and theme.

The caco xerox butts were great, but of course the text file also mentioned someone having been through here. I wonder who would want technology Xerox developed? Hmm.

I didn't do it in this run but I went back and sure enough, when you get into the warehouse at the end of the level all the servers and machines and such you saw at the beginning are gone!

Spoiler

MAP22 - “Xerox”

A mediocre level, very little to generate much interest in me, save perhaps the optional invuln fight. The prevailing feeling I got was why are we already back in a techbase? And yet again the texturing is completely all over the place. The difficulty is way down on the last level too.

100% kills, 5/5 secrets

I'm not sure I agree with @TheOrganGrinder's take that the bits of the map that are symmetrical like the paired secrets is purposeful given the map title, but I do agree that this map (and the one before it) definitely have a stronger sense of each room being designed with a purpose, rather than just sort of randomly laid down. It may not be apparent at first, especially since thematically the map kinda veers all over the place (which I think very much gives it an E2 vibe) but each discrete section feels cohesive and the layout ties together pretty well. That said, I'm not sure there's much memorable about the map, aside from the revelation of where all the damn cacoswarms over the years have come from. I found it fine enough while playing, but I doubt I'll remember much about this map months from now.

MAP22: Xerox (Mars War)

PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4, HNTR-PS, no saves, 100% everything

Here we have a subverted techbase. At the start you can see a warehouse populated by shotgun guys and it might seem like it's possible to jump down there, but it's not - in fact, we won't be seeing that area again until the end of the level, if at all! Going forward we have two choices, taking a teleporter or jumping down to a "hub" area. Both are viable as this level is much more forgiving in terms of progression than the previous one.

A bit after the blue key area is an arch-vile surrounded by barrels, like in MAP09. There's a fun battle in the scrolling flesh area for which you might want the BFG9000 and the "secret" invulnerability, but it's easy regardless. The most memorable section of the level is the red key area, with the cacodemons happily printing their undersides until you decided to interrupt :P The rest of the level is more or less a stroll to the exit, but the layout intertwines cleverly and leads you through familiar areas from a different perspective so it doesn't get boring. The warehouse mentioned previously is actually optional, but it's worth a visit to see the truck reminiscent of TNT MAP19 and a confrontation against a baron of hell that slaughtered all those poor zombies (only those who greeted you at the start survived). A pretty interesting level, some areas could be more densely populated with monsters but it's not a big deal.

Levels in order of preference:

Spoiler

MAP32: Hell Labs

MAP15: The Fringes

MAP13: Warehouse

MAP08: Bunker Zero

MAP09: Death Management

MAP07: Infestation

MAP20: Land of the Lame

MAP16: Enlightenment

MAP14: Civilian Center

MAP19: Foundation

MAP04: Alpha Base

MAP10: Transport Ship

MAP12: Operations - Earth

MAP11: Drop Ship

MAP18: The Edge

MAP17: Commercial Sector

MAP31: Wolf 3D

MAP02: Theta Base

MAP05: Crash Sight

MAP06: Beta Base

MAP03: Manufacturing Plant

MAP01: Terraforming Station

MAP22: Xerox (UV/continuous)

19:28 | 100% Everything

And we're back to the random hodge-podge offerings of some of the late-teens maps. This level, however, has much better progression than any of those; quite solid in fact. Still a big WTF moment where the entire southwestern area is not only completely optional, and not only can you access it only once you've found the exit, but it also hands out both a soulsphere and a megasphere, and a scattering of health/armor bonuses to boot! Okaaaay. (Plus I still had to backtrack to pickup a zerk pack I had left for later.) I had fun enough with this one, at least, though like Magnus says, it's not particularly memorable. I do like how you can start your journey by either taking the teleporter, or just jumping out the window. (I went for the latter, as I'll always prefer a route I can at least partially see to a blind teleport.) It took me a while to recognize the Xerox machines, even after having read about them here first. They were cute! As was the trailer full of chaingunners (shades of TNT there.)

MAP23: The Gates of Hell

It's a cute lil' joke map that at least engages you enough to ask that you find the secrets in order to get the whole of the joke, but this doesn't really do much more than fill a couple of minutes on the way from one level to another and I don't feel like there's enough substance here for me to spend more time talking about it than playing through it.

MAP23 - “The Gates of Hell”

Yes, this one was short alright. Over before it started pretty much. I did actually die once to the demon-shotgunner flank trap though.

Maps 19-21 (catching up!)

Phew, I did not like 19 or 21. 20 was fun though. I had some good advice from reading posts in advance, but I still was stuck on 21. I don't know if I messed something up, overlooked something, or what! 19 and those teleporters.... I played through it the first time, but I couldn't be bothered to deal with those teleporters again. Especially after seeing the exit teleporter right there.

Ranking: (preferred <---      ---> less preferred)

11, 8, 9, 15, 18, 10, 32, 13, 17, 20, 5, 4, 6, 1, 22, 16, 12, 31, 7, 19, 21, 14, 2, 3, 23, 24

MAP23:  The Gates of Hell (Kills: 100%, Secrets: 100%, Deaths: 0)
    What the ... is this ... oh, it's a reference for people older than me. This could've been a part of a normal map but ... your megaWAD I guess.

MAP23:The Gates of Hell is a joke. The joke is only clear if you get the secret all-map and then look at the automap, though. Otherwise it's a super-linear map that is quite different from the rest of the set (except for MAP31's inclusion of initials I guess) due to said super-linearity. Also really short, like this post.

Spoiler

MAP21:Highway to Hell
MAP22:Xerox

MAP23:The Gates of Hell (new!)

prboom+, no saves, uv pistol starts

map 19

Wow, this was brutal.  keeping invul for the crusher room was a smart move but hurt me later on for that drop-down into chaingunner soup.  the midi was great and i don't have much to say about the visuals. 

map 20 

it seems like routing for powerups in mind is going to be a recurring theme.  this map took me for a ride, straight up!! 

map 21 

little bit of a hot start.

marswar demos 19-21.7z

As soon as I saw people saying it was a joke map, I immediately assumed the "Gates" in question would be Bill of Microsoft fame. Sure enough, I was right. I feel like MAP21 had a secret that already covered this ground sufficiently and much more intelligently. There's a part of me that would have liked to have kept this review to just one sentence.

glBoom+ 2.5.1.7um, skill 4 pistol start, no saves

Reading other comments here and the textfile, my first thought was "I bet I'll still die anyway" and sure enough, yep. That shotgunner in the back was kind of unfair though.

I'll never complain about a short breather after some longer and harder maps.

Spoiler