Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Kernel-mode anticheat is a huge nope

1 hour ago, seed said:

No idea about the latter, but the first one seems sensible enough. I've actually tried to find more answers but as usual the internet is always fucking useless when you actually need it... also MS removed the support article they wrote for True Play, despite not being very comprehensive.

Looks like not even MS bothered to fully document it for some reason.

This is very inaccurate from what I'm reading. TruePlay can only block you from online features in games. And it only ever applied to UWP games of which there are maybe 10 in existence. Microsoft is already deprecating some of that stuff since nobody liked their crappy store.

Hmph, since when did anyone bother to use their store anyway?

10 minutes ago, Quasar said:

This is very inaccurate from what I'm reading. TruePlay can only block you from online features in games. And it only ever applied to UWP games of which there are maybe 10 in existence. Microsoft is already deprecating some of that stuff since nobody liked their crappy store.

It could block you if it was disabled, if I recall correctly.

But if it's getting deprecated it could explain why the info has seemingly... vanished. Or I'm not looking where I should, that's equally possible.

9 hours ago, printz said:

I wonder how will id ever fix this problem... The only socially acceptable way I see it is if Microsoft themselves introduce their own anti-cheat framework, which yes would use kernel powers and even beyond (hypervisor, trusted platform module, if available). And certified developers can leverage it for their games. It would reduce the popular worries that it's bug ridden (because hey, it's officially supported and tested by MS).

33 minutes ago, HavoX said:

Hmph, since when did anyone bother to use their store anyway?

Microsoft's supposedly going to be making a significant push for the Windows App Store as a games platform soon, which wouldn't be the worst time for them to roll something like this out. People have been speculating that this is likely part of Valve's interest in developing Proton, fwiw.

23 minutes ago, Smouths said:

Microsoft's supposedly going to be making a significant push for the Windows App Store as a games platform soon, which wouldn't be the worst time for them to roll something like this out. People have been speculating that this is likely part of Valve's interest in developing Proton, fwiw.

If it is to ever really happen, it's not anytime soon. The store is too much of a joke at the moment for that to be viable.

Not even MS seems to know what to do with it lol.

6 minutes ago, seed said:

If it is to ever really happen, it's not anytime soon. The store is too much of a joke at the moment for that to be viable.

Maybe through the upcoming Xbox PC-service then?

I'll stop with the shoddy guesswork and hearsay for now though, haha.

Glad they're removing it. Fantastic news. Glad to see all the outrage actually fixed this (without the review bombing and people refunding their orders and uninstalling I doubt we would have seen this reversal).

It also looks like if they try to add it back in, they'll at least give single-player people an option to say NOPE.

I'll take this as a WIN.

18 hours ago, Gez said:

So, the solution here is either to let people host their own servers again, or install rootkits in players' computers. Decision, decision, what will the corporation do?

What is the justification given for not allowing people to host their own servers? Surely enabling private servers is more conducive to forming the kind of long-term communities that can generate so much of that "engagement" that I've seen Doom Eternal devs mention.

Edited by NoXion

5 hours ago, NoXion said:

What is the justification given for not allowing people to host their own servers? Surely enabling private servers is more conducive to forming the kind of long-term communities that can generate so much of that "engagement" that I've seen Doom Eternal devs mention.

For many games it's a matter of planned obsolescence. I don't know what id's justification for abandoning them as of Rage was but I remember it was controversial at the time.

6 hours ago, NoXion said:

50 minutes ago, Quasar said:

For many games it's a matter of planned obsolescence. I don't know what id's justification for abandoning them as of Rage was but I remember it was controversial at the time.

To add, RAGE being the first game they did that lacked a CD Key server meant they suddenly had no authentication system at all and would have had to spin up something completely new. Likely couldn't justify the cost in the development and would have decided to just used whatever platform service existed (Steam's Matchmaking, Xbox Live, PSN).

Not soon after the only system that was still doing third party servers, GameSpy, shutdown and took a whole bunch of EA games (and a few others) with it. Since then, not a single thing has replaced it. Right now the only multiplayer services that exist a things like PlayFab, whose current implementation of dedicated servers requires access to a single private key that has access to everything, something you absolutely must never share out. And while a limited use key or keys seems to be in the roadmap, they have other priorities.

In short GameSpy died, nothing replaced it, and no individual publisher wants to maintain their own public use dedicated server list and the security for it. Such a concept will come back (Minecraft Bedrock partially has this on mobile and PC and even over LAN on Xbox, so not even Microsoft is against it), it's more of a question of when and who.

I'm actually kinda surprised they decided to ditch DAC. From now on we should keep an eagle eye on everything id/Bethesda do - who knows what'll happen next at this point.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it here but i wonder how this could've affected ripping models, sounds, textures, files etc from the game.

Like, for SFM stuff or even classic Doom/GZDoom mods based off Eternal.

I know people already ripped some models from the game and i think there may be some software for it, like how 2016 had its dedicated extractor.

4 hours ago, whatup876 said:

Not sure if anyone mentioned it here but i wonder how this could've affected ripping models, sounds, textures, files etc from the game.

Like, for SFM stuff or even classic Doom/GZDoom mods based off Eternal.

I know people already ripped some models from the game and i think there may be some software for it, like how 2016 had its dedicated extractor.

I'm not sure about MD6 asset "rippers", but I made a FBX to MD6 exporter https://github.com/jmarshall23/IcedTech/tree/master/code/Engine/MayaImport this works with Rage MD6 meshes, I haven't tried to import these meshes into Doom 2016 or Doom Eternal. This would only work if they left in the ability to load MD6 meshes in ascii format in the retail executable. Wouldn't be that hard to modify this to export to their binary format if its been decoded already.