Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LucidLocomotive

jumping in doom 64?

1 hour ago, LucidLocomotive said:

is this only in the Doom 64 TC? the doomwiki seems to act like its a feature in the normal vanilla game

The real DoomWiki most certainly does not say anything of the sort. https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_64

And no, jumping was not a function in the classic Doom games. Doom3 was the first.

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

The real DoomWiki most certainly does not say anything of the sort. https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_64

And no, jumping was not a function in the classic Doom games. Doom3 was the first.

it does. thats where I got this from, thats the whole reason I made this post. i’ve been using the individual walkthrough sections, and a few of the levels it will say something like “jumping is helpful in this section, provided you previously completed Hectic” without mentioning anything about that being exclusive to TC. Also, I have always used doomwiki.org, but just recently I looked at a few articles on the infamous and highly hated fandom one, and that one seems to have more content on it. a lot more levels from main-series games have empty or absent “trivia” sections in doomwiki compared to fandom, as well as the majority of the levels for Doom 64 are completely missing item/weapon/enemy statistics. ive also just noticed there will be generally an extra section or two, or an extra paragraph here and there, on the fandom site, with the rest being verbatim copied from doomwiki. with that being said why is doomwiki considered better when it is missing content compared to fandom?

1 hour ago, Gerardo194 said:

Hmmm... Source?? 

its here and there mentioned as a useful tactic on certain level walkthroughs (such as for map 29) without mentioning its exclusive to TC

Oh, I got it. It is not an actual jump, it is a "jump" or "leap" from a sector to another by running, e.g. from the sector where you touch the wall to reveal the unmaker to the sector you push the button in the big yellow area where the red demon key is located. 

I haven't read that article yet... 

44 minutes ago, LucidLocomotive said:

with that being said why is doomwiki considered better when it is missing content compared to fandom?

Because Fandom has overseers that don't care about validity and don't respond either. Just because random editors included more details does not mean its superior. Doomwiki moved away from Fandom because of the limitations Fandom has.

Besides DoomWiki also has several things on content that Fandom does not have, like a complete AmigaDoom history page, Source modifications, for instance. I would know, because i wrote those things myself.

I have offered to translate whatever is relevant from Fandom to DoomWiki in the past.

All in all i really, really wish that Fandom was just removed. It just causes confusion, on some instances they rank higher on the SEO list than Wiki does, and it bothers me to hell that it has the status that it has - Its no good for anyone.

10 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

Oh, I got it. It is not an actual jump, it is a "jump" or "leap" from a sector to another by running, e.g. from the sector where you touch the wall to reveal the unmaker to the sector you push the button in the big yellow area where the red demon key is located. 

I haven't read that article yet... 

actually it says “Get a bullet weapon ready and run there, passing two chasms (jumping helps a lot here, you should have completed MAP32: Hectic before). Hit the switch and a platform will temporarily lower back the way you came.” without saying anything about TC

Jumping in Doom 64 EX was added as a bonus for beating Hectic. It wasn't in the original Doom 64 at all, and it's not in the 2020 version of Doom 64, either.

4 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

actually it says “Get a bullet weapon ready and run there, passing two chasms (jumping helps a lot here, you should have completed MAP32: Hectic before). Hit the switch and a platform will temporarily lower back the way you came.” without saying anything about TC

Not anymore it doesn't. 

Of the Doom engine games not involving ports:

Only Hexen and Strife had jumping, while Heretic and Hexen had flying.

None had crouching or swimming.

Out of just official games called Doom:

As mentioned, Doom 3 is the first official Doom to have jumping.

I think Doom Eternal might be the only Doom to have swimming (though Quake was the first id FPS to have it).

I don't remember if Doom 3 has crouching but Doom 2016 does and Doom Eternal does not.