Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redneckerz

''AAAHHHH yourself!'' - Serious Sam 4 coming in September 2020

I don't really see, unless they have something in mind, you know like weapons that absolutely dwarf the power level of the BFG, how they think fighting that many enemies in a level wouldn't take way too long and not just get a bit tedious. 

Going over the top for the sake of it on something always reaches a point of going too far. But you know, if they give you a weapon that can kill a 1000 enemies in one shot, then maybe it would make more sense. 

Glad to see SS4 get some real love and, by the looks of it, return to the series roots in terms of gameplay. Apart from the shotguns I don't see any annoying reload animations that cripple the flow of the game and HOPEFULLY don't have cheap as hell AI mechanics. (I'm looking at you SS3 >:( )

I gave up on Serious Sam after being locked in too many arenas with toads and only the way forward being unblocked.

18 minutes ago, Doom_Dude said:

I gave up on Serious Sam after being locked in too many arenas with toads and only the way forward being unblocked.

Heh, this is unironically one of my favourite fights in The First Encounter. Also, very impressive @GarrettChan!

But this is easily my most anticipated game this year and I'm happy they are sticking to the more Serious SS3 aesthetic and atmosphere.

8 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

Heh, this is unironically one of my favourite fights in The First Encounter. Also, very impressive @GarrettChan!

But this is easily my most anticipated game this year and I'm happy they are sticking to the more Serious SS3 aesthetic and atmosphere.

I remember that fight. lol

I only played the first game and part way through the 2nd. What would be the best game in the series?

27 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

I hope they consider putting it on GoG along with SS3.

SS2 still isn't on GOG either.

Two words: SERIOUSLY HYPED.

It's too bad I only have $1.20 on my Steam Wallet... (I KNEW I shouldn't have spent so much last year...)

Looks promising after the disappointment of Serious Sam 3. For that title, supposedly Croteam were pitching a serious military shooter, but when they found no publishers they pivoted to making it a Serious Sam game. Unfortunately you can really tell because SS3's drab pseudo-realism didn't suit SS at all. But this looks much more like it.

2 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

I only played the first game and part way through the 2nd. What would be the best game in the series?

My favorite is The 2nd Encounter (which confusingly is not the same as Serious Sam 2). The only downside to it is the final boss isn't as cool as The 1st Encounters'.

3 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

What would be the best game in the series?

Gameplay wise that would be 2, though 2nd Encounter is better overall imo.

First and Second Encounter definitely my favourites.  Yeah, SS3 was thematically wrong - waaay to - er - serious.

Roll on SS4 if it really is like the originals again.   

7 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Introduction:

But was this not announced for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One? Well yes, but it was confirmed that will only come in 2021.

Serious Sam games have always been PC focus as SS3 on Xbox 360 wasn't release til nearly a year later and on PS3 roughly TWO years later and by that time the next generation consoles were already out.

Honestly I'm pretty excited for the new game especially this "100K" legion system which sounds intriguing.  

I see a lack of enclosed areas, reloading, or sprinting. I can't wait!

Imagine...100k Kleers...

Edited by Mr. Freeze

4 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

I remember that fight. lol

Unironically Serious Sam 2. Many dislike it for its deadpan humor, but i consider it one of the funniest games ever made (No hyperbole). I am just a sucker for stupid humor like that.

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

Looks promising after the disappointment of Serious Sam 3. For that title, supposedly Croteam were pitching a serious military shooter, but when they found no publishers they pivoted to making it a Serious Sam game. Unfortunately you can really tell because SS3's drab pseudo-realism didn't suit SS at all. But this looks much more like it.

Having played the main game on X360, i agree that stylistically it is far removed from Sam. But Serious Sam 2 was criticized similarily for being too colorful.

All in all, i do feel the game was quite memorable and very playable, especially the gorgeous static lighting was a sight even on X360. On PC, you could go wild with the visuals.

Sam 4 obviously looks better than Sam 3, but it looks very current-gen. I feel the Legion system is what will kill PC's (Sam games have been used as benchmarks after all) but The Black Masses does something similar with immense hordes.

52 minutes ago, Philnemba said:

Serious Sam games have always been PC focus as SS3 on Xbox 360 wasn't release til nearly a year later and on PS3 roughly TWO years later and by that time the next generation consoles were already out.

Honestly I'm pretty excited for the new game especially this "100K" legion system which sounds intriguing.  

This seems to do similar. I cant imagine the Legion system running well on current-gen hardware, seems a CPU intensive task.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I see a lack of enclosed areas, reloading, or sprinting. I can't wait!

Imagine...100k Kleers...

''....aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh!!!!!!''

If they can avoid Marshhoppers, Flying Invisible Gnaars and Cave Monkeys (whatever they were actually called) then I can't imagine what the flaw will be. I couldn't be any more hyped for a game release!

As for favourites... I actually think SS3 is my favourite, but it was also the one that I played first, so got to imprint the series on me and be what I compared the others to. Honestly, any of the four I've played are something I'd happily have more of.

"Ah yes we can have literally thousands of enemies on screen"

Oh excellent! That's great! can't wait to have engaging and interesting battles where I have to focus on certain horde types and work my way into thinning out the ranks of more dangerous enemies

*Second trailer shows an actual flood of Kleers*

Or... You could do that, again, like the 50 other times you've already done it.

Those Kleers better have a great new mechanic or a few tricks up their sleeve otherwise they are going to be a waste of 10000 enemies, we've learnt the Kleer dance already, but then Croateam's meme at this point is exactly that so why even complain about it.

First, what an odd way of promoting the game. All those really short videos could have made one video that would still be pretty short.

Oh, this looks good. I enjoyed the First and Second Encounters, I liked the addition of vehicles in Serious Sam 2, and the new environments looked cool, even if I wasn't a big fan of the more cartoonish style.

Might they put vehicles in this game? That would shake up the formula if combined with this Legion system. 100,000 enemies at once is just asking for the addition of superweapons of some kind. 

Anyone else notice the chess analogies the developers were using? I wonder if there was any inspiration there...

18 minutes ago, NoXion said:

Anyone else notice the chess analogies the developers were using? I wonder if there was any inspiration there...

yes, SS4 is going to be a Real-time strategy game where you play as beheaded kamikaze, each of which have different moves depending on their placement on the board. 

• there is the PAHHHHHHHHHHHHWN!
  • a ROOHHHHHHHHHK!
  • a KNIHHHHHHHHGHT!
  • a BISHOHHHHHHHHHHP!
  • a QUEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHN!
  • and most importantly, a KIHHHHHHHHHHNG!

A tried a couple of the Serious Games in demo form back in the day and found them deeply, deeply tedious. I have to say though it looks like they have done an very impressive job with the tech here. Lots of activity but generally good looks and smooth framerates. 

10 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

Serious Sam 3 played through Fusion (the most updated version) is the most polished of the main 3 games (which excludes SS2), and the one with the most coherent storyline and atmosphere. My opinion is based on playing them on Serious difficulty, which is like a combination of classic Doom's UV and new Doom's Nightmare that gives you the most/toughest enemy spawns and maximum enemy damage.

What I like most about SS3 from a gameplay perspective is the larger and more open sandbox environments, compared to the much heavier setpiece arena focus of the previous games. It allows more freedom in how you approach encounters and feels more dynamic in the way enemies spawn and move around the environments. Also, it is largely devoid of trollish deathtraps like spawning rocket Biomechs or Kleers in your face after grabbing a random pickup or lone health/armour bonus. The First Encounter has a lot of that, and feels quite cheap until you memorize each death trap. The Second Encounter suffers from infinite ammo syndrome and the ridiculous Sniper Rifle. You can basically always spam the best weapons available and not worry about resource management. SS3 on Serious has the best weapon variety and ammo management to encourage use of your full arsenal. Also, the most interesting bestiary with Hard+ special attacks which make fodder engaging to fight and high-tier enemies even more dangerous. Oh, and it's got a Mancubus/Baron equivalent which are both great.  

Now the final point regarding story and setting is more subjective, as some people like their Sam silly and incoherent. Aside from Sam's one-liners, SS3 is mostly played straight as an end of the world alien apocalypse. If you think about it, it's quite bleak and depressing, especially the final quarter where you no longer have communication with your military HQ. But I love that tone shift and the more realistically grotesque enemies. Also, the final map is pure art, in addition to being a 1.5k monster slaughterfest.

11 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

yes, SS4 is going to be a Real-time strategy game where you play as beheaded kamikaze, each of which have different moves depending on their placement on the board. 

• there is the PAHHHHHHHHHHHHWN!
  • a ROOHHHHHHHHHK!
  • a KNIHHHHHHHHGHT!
  • a BISHOHHHHHHHHHHP!
  • a QUEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHN!
  • and most importantly, a KIHHHHHHHHHHNG!

Does capturing an enemy's unmoved pawn near the beginning of the game cause the rest of their pieces to explode in a sympathetic chain reaction?

Having boarded the hype train a couple of days ago, I listened to all of Damjan Mravunac's music on Spotify (really good mapping music, I thought!) and have started playing The Talos Principle - a game I've had for a couple of years now, but never got round to. Despite the slightly dated foliage graphics, it's still a gorgeous game that, when running at everything maxed out, still taxes my PC (to the point of too-low frame rates, so I've reined it in a bit). I'm quite enjoying myself, although finding some of the puzzle elements is proving tricky.

I look forward to hitting up Fusion 2017 in July to further prepare myself.

Good to hear they are continuing with the series. I just hope it's optimized better than SS3. I enjoyed what I played of that one a decent bit, but am struggling to find the will to finish it simply because it runs like a dog on my system. Anywhere from 30 to 60fps, always fluctuating in between constantly regardless of detail settings. A system where Doom Eternal runs at 150+ fps on the highest settings without breaking a sweat. It should be the other way around, but I digress.

Hey, at least that will mean that I'm more likely to have my new computer when it drops.

Cool protagonist aside, I don't get what people see in this overrated franchise. People Can Fly are much better at this style of gameplay than Croteam ever was. 

40 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Cool protagonist aside, I don't get what people see in this overrated franchise. People Can Fly are much better at this style of gameplay than Croteam ever was. 

We talking about painkiller?

Having played them both I'd say:

Painkiller is good but it is different, Painkiller focuses on the battles set in arenas that are more close encounters or special encounters with special enemies for each level, the particular level's design also determines the foes you fight (unless you play the infamously bad expansions) as it is more focused on one particular aspect than a broad scale, it is more toned down.

Serious Sam is more focused on wide open engagements where you take on a large variety of enemies, it leans more towards assessing which threats to destroy first and taking on huge hordes of foes who vary significantly and the ranks of said foe remains unpredictable due to the quantity and variety.

Basically, Painkiller is where you go to fight 100 men, Serious Sam is where you go to Fight 50 men, 100 dogs, 50 birds, 8 bears and a train.

And I don't need to explain the tone differences.

I hate Painkiller, I think its total and complete garbage. I'd be scared to play the expansions/rereleases that are generally all considered terrible based on the base experience. 

Serious Sam... eh I don't like it much more, I think its less rote perhaps, I could stand to play it for a while, but its really built on a novelty that gets old fast.

And yeah I don't like slaughter gameplay wads people make in Doom for the same reasons.