Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WowozuelaSpammer

Why you shouldn't buy the BFG Edition

The title is self explanatory, so i will not make introductions.

1) Fast monsters: In the BFG Edition, fast monsters are abscent.

2) Bethesda.net: If i could ask Godd Howard 1 question about classic Doom, it would just be: Why? Seriously, why would you have to use an online platform with terrible optimization to run a 30 year old game?

3) Censorship: The BFG Edition is completely censored, the fun Wolfenstein levels? Gone, the red cross in the healing items? Gone (no seriously, i know why they did it, but c'mon, it's a really small detail, and personally, i think it's way better than having an ugly red and white pill)

These, and many other reasons were taken from this video by the amazing Dwars (I couldn't find the video, if i find it, i'll link it)

I haven't bought it yet for those reasons. I prefer the original ones. 

About the Wolfenstein levels, they were fixed in the classic Doom re-release a while ago but there's a StaatMeister's portrait instead of Hitler's portrait. 

The medikits and stimpack now have a green cross. 

Edited by Gerardo194

22 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

I haven't bought it yet for those reasons. I prefer the original ones. 

About the Wolfenstein levels, they were fixed in the classic Doom re-release a while ago but there's a StaatMeister's portrait instead of Hitler's portrait. 

The medikits and stimpack now have a green cross. 

Those guys did a good job down there!

I've got both. I bought the id Super Pack while that existed on Steam at a nice discount, and BFG Edition wound up being a later purchase somehow (or more likely, part of some sort of Humble Bundle or something).

That said... the problems mostly mentioned mostly only exist within the source port they provide (Doom Classic). You can take those WADs and use them in other source ports, and they'll work just fine (the fast monsters should be restored, obviously no Bethesda.net stuff to deal with).

The one thing that won't be fixed is the "censorship." The Red Cross thing is actually due to the Red Cross organization - games haven't used red crosses for health in almost two decades. Wolf was due to Germany (of course).

Of note, the more recent re-releases of Doom (the one that's built in Unity) have the cross restored but it's now green, IIRC.

Why you should: if you can get it cheap during a sale, you have no interest in 'Doom' 3 and only want it for the NERVE wads - I did :)

2 minutes ago, Martin Howe said:

Why you should: if you can get it cheap during a sale, you have no interest in 'Doom' 3 and only want it for the NERVE wads - I did :)

I'm talking about classic Doom, not Doom 3, i'm no one to talk about that one because i never played Doom 3 (and probably never will)

2 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

I'm talking about classic Doom, not Doom 3, i'm no one to talk about that one because i never played Doom 3 (and probably never will)

and why would you never play it?

As far as i know, Doom 3 is good. Certainly more in line with newer FPS, but a good reimagination of Doom 1 with really spooky vibes like Tom Hall originally intended for Doom.

Id make a great game, with heavy emphasis on atmosphere, mood and pacing.

BGF Edition nerfed it all of that, but the original Doom 3 is one game i played a lot only for it amazing and inmersive atmosphere.

Just now, P41R47 said:

and why would you never play it?

As far as i know, Doom 3 is good. Certainly more in line with newer FPS, but a good reimagination of Doom 1 with really spooky vibes like Tom Hall originally intended for Doom.

I don't want to play it because of that exact reason, Doom is an FPS, not a FNaF game, i don't want an Imp jumpscaring me, because it's dumb and isn't what the game's supposed to mean.

11 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

I don't want to play it because of that exact reason, Doom is an FPS, not a FNaF game, i don't want an Imp jumpscaring me, because it's dumb and isn't what the game's supposed to mean.

If Id software made the game that way, and they attached the Doom name to it, well, i think that yes, thats what the game's supposed to mean.
And the comparison to Five Nights at Freddy's is not even fitting. Whoever play that game know why it playing that: to get scared with a jumpscare.

Doom 3, on the other hand, is a good action game, WITH spooky elements on it. Jumpscares? Maybe, as its dark. But that also happens in UD and D2 wherever is dark and you didn't see it.
I recommend you to play it before telling it is not a proper Doom game.
I even feel its more Doom than the arena fight power fantasy the Doom 2016 and Eternal are by now. 

While the original Doom was scary, Doom 3 is a different kind of scary, and not in a way that meshed well with the fanbase.

I played through probably at least half of it. Never finished it. Got bored at how it was just jumpscare after jumpscare (and worse, predictable jumpscares - see something you need? IT'S GONNA BE SPOOKY), locations blending together, unsatisfying combat... you name it.

The only scare that was legitly good was this one. Everyone knows this one by now.

2 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

While the original Doom was scary, Doom 3 is a different kind of scary, and not in a way that meshed well with the fanbase.

As you said, yes it didn't mesh well with the previous entries of Doom and the fan base around them, but that doesn't make it a bad game, just different to what everybody was expecting.And yes, it has a different approach, or more emphasis on the scary things. The bathroom scene is optional, i didn't stumble with it i my first playthrough, and a lot of the scary moments are also somewhat optionals if you don't explore too much. Its predictable, so you know something will pop up so where is the jumscare there? Its the same when you play a megawad and need the key and a monster closet opens with revenants screetching and in a dark area. I don't say that there is no jumpscares because they are there, but well, once you start playing, you get the idea that if something is there to grab, something will appeard out of nowhere.

I rememeber looking a walkthrough on youtube in where the player doesn't explore at all, doesn't read any PDA, and there was almost no scary moments. Looking at that video i rememeber thinking that Doom 3 was like a better version of Half-Life.

What i hated, and also you pointed it, was that the combat was more camping safe than properly bullet fight, and that the game was a little too linear. And like you, i also quit playing it bored midway throug it. But i give it a chance, various chances for certain as i have to replay it like three times before completing it for first time, and i ended liking it.

It have a different flavor. And i think its a good experiment of what would Doom be if ID software followed Tom Hall's designs.
But maybe i'm wrong, maybe if we got that in 1993, this Doom we know today could be the black sheep of the family.
I Don't love Doom 3, but i don't think its bad or not Doom at all.

45 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

not playing a game, because it's something different than you think it's supposed to be is pretty narrow sighted though. doom 3 is a great game and anyone who enjoys playing first person shooters, should play it. it's also a technical masterpiece and still looks fantastic. bare in mind it was released almost 16 years ago.

as far as the bfg edition goes, i think this is the only way to "legally" play the no rest for the living episode on pc. 

2 hours ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

2) Bethesda.net: If i could ask Godd Howard 1 question about classic Doom, it would just be: Why? Seriously, why would you have to use an online platform with terrible optimization to run a 30 year old game?

I doubt Doom 3: BFG Edition is linked to Bethesda.net, at least the version I bought from GOG wasn't.

Regardless, you absolutely shouldn't buy it at full price, but on a discount (bought mine for a fiver) it's a nice buy even if just for the great No Rest for the Living episode.

It made sense at the time, for Xbox 360. But it's almost completely useless to a PC player if it wasn't for NRFTL. Nowadays any modern console could body OG Doom 3. Yet they keep insisting on using this dumbed down re-release.

Actually you shouldn't buy any version of doom 3 in general, bfg edition or vanillia.

Plus this is basically common knowledge at this point.

The Doomwiki mentioned some differences in an article but i'm sure there's more to it.

Like, even GGGman made a video mentioning a few things the Wiki didn't brought up while the Wiki had stuff he didn't bring up.

Even worse, the BFG edition didn't really fix any flaw or issue from base Doom 3, as far as i know.

Wow, the bit about 'no Doom 3' caused a bit of a ruckus :) I don't like jumpscare, spooky, horror games - so I don't play them. That's all there is to it. I don't care whether God, Satan or John Romero himself intended Doom 1 & 2 to be jumpscare, spooky, horror games; the cold hard fact is that they are not.

Doom 1 & 2 are pure FPS. So I like them. So I play them.
Doom 3 isn't. So I don't like it. So I don't.
That's it, folks, no drama required, nothing to see here :)

I got BFG edition last year because it was on sale really cheap and I was recommending it as the way to get No Rest For the Living (nerve.wad) for Doom 2 and you could use an iwad patcher to turn its doom and doom2.wad wads into the regular Ultimate and v1.9 versions.   Now that's obsoleted by NRFtL being available for the much better Doom 2 Classic 2019 and in buying that, it seems you can also install original dos Doom 2 for free.   It pisses me off that I just bought it on a steam last year and my steam account is linked to my Bethesda.net account, but it won't give the Red classic marine skin in Doom Eternal unless I buy the newer even more cut down rerelease.