Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clippy

Clippy's new Doom 2 map : Monster Jail Mayhem !! - try it and share your thoughts :)

Download it here -- http://www.levelgame.net/doom/elevator.wad

Well guys I put a lot of work into this the last few days

All difficulty levels supported + deathmatch and multiplayer. In multiplayer you have to free your buddies from cells at the beginning haha

Recommended Zdoom / Gzdoom - but is vanilla style map - no jumping/crouching - freelook is fine

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot-Doom-20200522-225216.png
Screenshot-Doom-20200522-231603.png
Screenshot-Doom-20200522-231628.png
Screenshot-Doom-20200522-231737.png
Screenshot-Doom-20200522-231858.png
Screenshot-Doom-20200522-232042.png
Screenshot-Doom-20200522-232048.png
Screenshot-Doom-20200522-232112.png
Screenshot-Doom-20200522-232139.png
Screenshot-Doom-20200522-232159.png
Screenshot-Doom-20200522-232232.png
Screenshot-Doom-20200522-232516.png
Screenshot-Doom-20200522-232607.png

Video:

Story:

Many years ago an old mine-shaft was built on an Indian burial ground. Some force of evil pushed it above the ground making it no longer functional for mining so it was converted into a jail. Following your successful mission of saving Earth in Doom 2, a few surviving monsters were left around. Some misguided activists put them in this makeshift mine-shaft jail and they are starting to break out! It's up to you to save the Earth ... AGAIN!! Only this time you have to be sure to destroy all monsters and I mean all of them, if you miss even one the Earth is doomed and nobody shall ever lay with you. Good luck!

Download it here -- http://www.levelgame.net/doom/elevator.wad

Edited by Clippy

PS this map is probably quite tricky / hard

Especially if you don't know it haha

I hope you have fun exploring and developing a strategy / finding the secrets etc

This was pretty fun! RNGsus was with me tonight because I didn't die but I came pretty damn close a lot (2% health at one point). Working out the progression of the map was interesting, never felt overly complex, and the combat kept me engaged. I only found 6/16 secrets (would've explored a bit more but didn't really have the time unfortunately). If I have one criticism, I felt the fake exit sign trope was a bit overdone. Minor thing though.

FYI, you call the map Monster Jail Mayhem in your thread title but in the automap/end screen it's called Mineshaft Mayhem. 

@Horus thanks for vid!  Wanted to find something to watch while winding down and this was it. 

I was worried that this might be too hard and maybe confusing but your video was awesome 

Yeah I never really had a good lock on the name. Even the wad is called elevator.wad

that's how it all started I had this concept for elevator and that was the room I made first and I just added all the other stuff around it

I put some tricky secrets in here to haha

At one point the exit really was the exit but then I decided to add this whole outside area and I probably should have removed some signs 🥴

Cool map man! Clippy style for sure. Just one thing that bothered me, dunno if Im just dumber that I thought but couldnt get out of one outdoor secret, so I had to use noclip, but yeah great map. Made a video first attemp (now I can watch Horus vid), saved some times but didnt die, I took my time for sure.

Good play through buddy

I'm glad you didn't die

Also good job grabbing the chain gun right off the Hop. I was hoping people would do this otherwise you just have a pistol for a minute

As for that secret yeah that was the last secret that I implemented. Took me a lot of work to figure out how to make this happen. But once you get into that little place you press the one switch button and it should lower the steps. however if that lift is still lowered when you press the one switch button the steps won't lower so that's why I put that eyeball switch before it to give them enough time to raise back up. but looks like you bumped your head keeping left in the down position longer than expected. anyway it got all screwed up so I'm going to make a line def inside that lowers the lift so this never happens again

If any of that made any sense

@Soulless so that error you found I think is rare

(Never happen to me during any game testing)

But either way I just replaced the file with a fix that I think should work good

I'll explain more later

2 hours ago, Soulless said:

Well Im glad I helped somehow haha.

You did haha

4 hours ago, Steve88 said:

I really like this map clippy

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks so much for the video buddy

And that thumbnail is perfect 😆

Just finished the map, didn't find most of the secrets but that is a good thing! I enjoyed the vertical aspects of the level and returning to the central lift to access new areas, gave a nice sense of progression.

Damn, I found the mega secret! haha. Just a thing, 

Spoiler

in the room with all the dead players, sometimes light dont change, and I guess it should go pitch black just after the actual secret door.

Heres my 100% run!

Spoiler

Edited by Soulless

This was quite the noodle-scratcher, Clippy, you kept me guessing and had me running around like a mouse in a cardboard maze looking for them key-shaped bits of cheese. They're there, I can see 'em, but how do I get 'em?! Clippy, you bastard, what you got me doing here?!?! hehehe really good fun. Had me a couple of "Aha!" kinda moments. Really enjoyed myself with this one, mate.

5 hours ago, Soulless said:

Damn, I found the mega secret! haha. Just a thing, 

Hide contents

in the room with all the dead players, sometimes light dont change, and I guess it should go pitch black just after the actual secret door.

Heres my 100% run!

Reveal hidden contents

That was a weird room - The left side door opens and the right side makes it dark . No real point just being random at that part of the map since I figured so few would find it

About to watch your vid now!!

3 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

This was quite the noodle-scratcher, Clippy, you kept me guessing and had me running around like a mouse in a cardboard maze looking for them key-shaped bits of cheese. They're there, I can see 'em, but how do I get 'em?! Clippy, you bastard, what you got me doing here?!?! hehehe really good fun. Had me a couple of "Aha!" kinda moments. Really enjoyed myself with this one, mate.

That's awesome buddy - I hope my map was puzzling in a fun kinda way - I had fun making this one :)

MY fave thing is to hide secrets in an interesting way so you feel rewarded when you get em

Played it, and found all the secrets! My video playthrough should be up sometime tomorrow; included with it are expanded thoughts and first time reactions.

3 hours ago, BluePineapple72 said:

Here's my playthrough! Had a blast!

Fun watch bud thanks so much 💪👌🏆

5 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I beat your map.

Great buddy thanks for video. Top notch good times 💪🏆

This was a pretty fun little map. Some unorthodox texture usage with DOORTRAK that I liked to mix it up. The level design itself was condensed and fun. Spent a bit too much time running around because I thought I had already pulled the G1 switches that allow the final platform to be raised, but oh well.

This is awesome! I looked up my map to see what results and I find another clip themed doomer playing this map!

3 hours ago, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/660454574

Starts at 3:24:10. Quirky map. Needs some work on the visual end (particularly the very slow lowering monster closets in the main room), but gameplay was decent enough. Nice choice of music also for such a quirky map.

Hey friend I seen you around - what a pleasure to see you play my map

You missed plenty secrets but didn't needed them

You got mad skills bro

I seen many play this map and nobody did the baron barrel trick - good job

As for the bars - I like that they open one at a time, it's my choice :P

This is the map I think is my best so far - I have other crappy maps out here somewhere

I need to make another haha

Great wad! It seems so difficult to make a clever map like this!
I got outside of the building but ill have to play it later.

Great number of monsters and clever use of keys and switches.
I kept thinking i was near the exit and i was surprised each time finding out there is more to it!

Seeing how this WAD's getting some more attention, the attention it deserves I might add, I've been inspired to give it a replay. I even had a go at it on UV (my first time) and recorded the playthrough for ya, @Clippy

I'm surprised I managed to remember as much of the level progression as I did. It's a terrific map, mate.

Edited by Biodegradable