Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mangcubus

Why don't Pain Elementals leave behind corpses?

It makes sense to me why Lost Souls don't have corpses. They were always envisioned as a mook that would be generated by other monsters (before the pain elemental they had a scrapped wall-bound "blob" monster). If they left behind corpses, you could have PEs mass produce them until your crappy 90s PC crashes.

I don't get why PEs don't have corpses though. They don't get spawned by anything besides the Icon of Sin, and they're visually similar to Cacos, which DO have corpses.

When you're making a sequel in less than a year sometimes you gotta cut the little corners!

Their "corpses" are the lost souls they spawn. It also fits in thematically with the way lost souls die.

why would you want lost soul corpses they fucking suck and i don't think they deserve to have a reminder that you killed them

It does leave a corpse if the pain elemental is crushed :P (and that can end up spawning ghost pain elementals, a true horror!)

I imagine because there wasn't a ROTT-style giblet system in place, and having the body explode was a good excuse to draw fewer things on screen, which was kinda important for an enemy that spawned more enemies to render. Have you ever tried running Doom 2 on a 486?

45 minutes ago, zokum said:

Their "corpses" are the lost souls they spawn. It also fits in thematically with the way lost souls die.

Essentially.

There's basically no reason to leave one behind, they don't need to.

On 5/27/2020 at 10:49 AM, Mangcubus said:

It makes sense to me why Lost Souls don't have corpses. They were always envisioned as a mook that would be generated by other monsters (before the pain elemental they had a scrapped wall-bound "blob" monster). If they left behind corpses, you could have PEs mass produce them until your crappy 90s PC crashes.

I don't get why PEs don't have corpses though. They don't get spawned by anything besides the Icon of Sin, and they're visually similar to Cacos, which DO have corpses.

If memory serves me correct, lost souls left corpses in SNES Doom. They used the crushed corpse sprite. 

I always thought of them exploding into thin air and vanishing. Oh crap, we can now relate vanishing corpses into classic Doom Head cannon. Someone tell the corpse vanishing head canon guy. 

You wouldn't want PE's to leave behind corpses. I remember playing Sunlust with a cosmetic sprite mod and realized my mistake when Viles started reviving them.

my idea is that the meatballs were made from lost souls that were all squished together, and the PE shoots them out because it's too much weight. when you shoot it, there are so many Lost souls in it, that they just start gnawing at the puncture your gun made, which then the lost souls all pop out and the giblets are too small for the AV to notice. the crushed corpse is there because the LS are being exploded in the process, so the corpse is now large enough to resurrect. when it is resurrected, the PE can also resurrect dead LS in its body by an opposite digestion. 

2 hours ago, SYS said:

If memory serves me correct, lost souls left corpses in SNES Doom. They used the crushed corpse sprite. 

I always thought of them exploding into thin air and vanishing. Oh crap, we can now relate vanishing corpses into classic Doom Head cannon. Someone tell the corpse vanishing head canon guy. 

No, they don't leave any corpses in Snes Doom, what they leave is the "ungh" sound what Doomguy does. 

Sure, I'll tell him

22 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

No, they don't leave any corpses in Snes Doom, what they leave is the "ungh" sound what Doomguy does. 

Fun fact; the Doomguy grunt sound for lost souls' death sound has been around since the v0.4 alpha. The final releases, however, hard-code them to play the fireball explosion sound as their death sound instead. This is not carried unto the SNES port (which retains the Doomguy grunt sound for their death sound), since it uses its own engine and Randy Linden only referred to the Unofficial Doom Specs for its development.

On 6/1/2020 at 3:40 AM, Spectre01 said:

You wouldn't want PE's to leave behind corpses. I remember playing Sunlust with a cosmetic sprite mod and realized my mistake when Viles started reviving them.

haha. you see, that's what one gets from various "improvements"  :D

iirc smooth doom (otherwise great) had a bug that made spectres unkillable, it pretty much ruined the fun for me.

On 5/31/2020 at 9:23 PM, InDOOMnesia said:

Fun fact; the Doomguy grunt sound for lost souls' death sound has been around since the v0.4 alpha. The final releases, however, hard-code them to play the fireball explosion sound as their death sound instead. This is not carried unto the SNES port (which retains the Doomguy grunt sound for their death sound), since it uses its own engine and Randy Linden only referred to the Unofficial Doom Specs for its development.

The other thing I thought I "remembered" about SNES Doom was the E2M8 Cyber demon level having plasma rifle and cells instead of rockets. Looks like I'm wrong about that too. I'm going to with faulty memory rather than go full Mandela effect lol. 

12 minutes ago, SYS said:

The other thing I thought I "remembered" about SNES Doom was the E2M8 Cyber demon level having plasma rifle and cells instead of rockets. Looks like I'm wrong about that too. I'm going to with faulty memory rather than go full Mandela effect lol. 

I think you're replying to a wrong post maybe? :P
You know, it's Gerardo194 correcting you, not me.

I thought it would nest and include both quotes. Seems it does not.