Find results in...
Average

Does Anyone Play at 35 fps?

Framerate  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Still Play at 35fps

• YES
    • NO

Every now and then, I play Doom at higher frame rates (I have a 144Hz monitor) but I always end up going back to good ol' 35 fps.  The main reasons are two-fold.  Firstly, anything higher feels a little strange to me.  It's almost like one is ice skating around the map.  Secondly, it means any really demanding WAD (looking at you Frozen Time!) runs consistently and plays the way I am both used to and expect.

It seems to me that I am probably just a dinosaur with the majority of people playing at at least 60 fps.  Am I correct in this assumption?

Does anyone else play at 35 fps?  If so, any particular reason?

60 fps is often achieved by interpolation (But internally it still retains the 35 ticrate? Ill let an actual Doom expert tell you that), though a few ports do offer an actual 60 fps update.

I know GLBoom and PrBoom can deliver completely whack framerates of 500 to 2000 fps. But such is obviously not realistic.

35 fps is simply the Doom standard and all logic expects that. To achieve a proper 60 fps, you have to take that into account.

Someone far more intimate with Doom code can tell you a more exact answer. My forte is not in exact knowledge of every function of Doom code, i am a few layers closer to the surface :P

Edited by Redneckerz

I never deviate from 35 fps. Higher frame rates tend to give me severe motion sickness, not to mention aiming feels somehow more delayed. I can aim directly where I want to in a pinch with 35 fps. I'm sure that last point is mostly psychological, though. I'd use higher frame rates occasionally if not for the nausea..

Anyone who still uses ports such as Choco at least occasionally still plays the game at 35 frames, yes 1.0 .

I do, for one, even though I prefer 60fps.

Unless I'm playing a modern map in which 640x480 is necessary due to long-distance fighting, I always play Doom at the original resolution and framerate. The visuals are much more cohesive this way.

In its original state, Doom is a "world of pixels" and everything blends together. As you start raising the framerate and resolution, the geometry looks more spare (and the levels need more sector detailing), the textures look flatter, the sprites look more different from the geometry, and the sprites seem to need more in-betweens.

Strictly speaking, are we talking 35 fps nowadays? I would assume that with modern displays it's a choice between 60 and 30. But the logic runs at 35? I'd love to read a technical ramble about reconciling 90's crt specs with modern hardware.

When I play under DOSBox, I guess it's 35FPS. Although on a 60Hz LCD it must not be smooth.

1 hour ago, Aaron Blain said:

Strictly speaking, are we talking 35 fps nowadays? I would assume that with modern displays it's a choice between 60 and 30. But the logic runs at 35? I'd love to read a technical ramble about reconciling 90's crt specs with modern hardware.

The ports that target 35fps still output at 35fps.  While I've never done any frame-time analysis, I suspect it means with a 60Hz monitor you'll typically have three frames of 33.3ms followed by one of 16.7ms, in a given second.

While I generally prefer the look of higher framerates (especially since I recently upgraded my second-hand monitor to a fancy new 144hz one,) I seem to actually play better at 35fps. I'm not sure if it's just out of familiarity, or if it's because what's on screen better matches the internal logic of the game, but with Doom in particular I seem to guage my position/movement and the actions of enemies better at the OG framerate- though this doesn't seem to hold true for deathmatch.

Personally can't stand 320x200 on anything other than a CRT though.

I really don't know what to select here. From the one hand the game runs at 75FPS (ideally for my monitor) but the game logic runs at 35 FPS (I could go up to 40).

i play at 320x240 with 35 fps in Doom Retro.
In the config setting it said that it is at 640x480 but i use the low graphic setting to make it extra gritty.
And after a long time testing compatibility with vanilla, i get in love with the 35fps. It feels slippery at 60 fps or more.
I love the pixel face of my enemies!

No, I find it too choppy. A bit ironic considering I happily chug along on modern games that run on half that framerate on my toaster :P

35 fps and software is it for me.

Why? I tried it once while running maps at the beginning of 2016 and liked it. No other reason. Renderer is a different story but that is off topic.

I typically play at capped fps most of the time because i like the choppy look of the original game

Also kinda off topic but what is the deal with framerates above the 60 mark? You can't really go any smoother than that imo

I play 35fps from time to time on my 15" 70Hz CRT. the way it means to be played. Looks pretty normal to me, at least better than on 60hz lcd

4 hours ago, Aaron Blain said:

Most of the monitors back in the day worked at 60, 70,72, 75 or 80Hz. Maybe even higher with lower resolution. So 35 fps was a nice choice at the time. Wolfenstein 3D works at 70 HZ IIRC, and Quake was capped at 72(?). I can't remember numbers now, but it was suitable for the hardware at the time

41 minutes ago, pc234 said:

I typically play at capped fps most of the time because i like the choppy look of the original game

Except you can.

The difference in responsiveness when coupled with a 144 or 210hz screen is enormous. But it is simultaneously overkill when used for non-competitive games, where the improvements just don't pay off much.

I like the capped fps, it's jarring if I go back to it after being at 60 for a long time, but I get used to it again quickly.

Mostly high res/framerate but sometimes I'll switch over to chunky pixels and 35 fps for a bit just for fun.