Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Can't play on Nightmare

Do you play Doom 1 and Doom 2 on UV-Fast?

I finally joined UV-Fast players. It is really so much more fun. Since I finished them on UV 100 times already, I don't think there is any point to keep the difficulty the same. So yes to UV-Fast.

I started with Doom 2 yesterday on UV-Fast and damn, it is a lot more fun now. I am in level 10 now but I sadly have to have a break for a while due to some exams. It sucks.

When I move away from the fires of enemies on UV-Fast, I enjoy a lot.

Edited by Can't play on Nightmare

The content does not contain a question, so ill just answer the question in the title:

No, i don't play on UV-Fast. I am not a super skilled player as my focus is more on testing ports rather than playing maps.

When i do play maps, i play on default, so Hurt me Plenty, and when occassion allows, UV. Played Requiem this way, i believe.

10 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

The content does not contain a question, so ill just answer the question in the title:

No, i don't play on UV-Fast. I am not a super skilled player as my focus is more on testing ports rather than playing maps.

When i do play maps, i play on default, so Hurt me Plenty, and when occassion allows, UV. Played Requiem this way, i believe.

UV-Fast is still far easier than Nightmare as the enemies dont come back to life in seconds after they are killed. This makes a great difference.

As you see from my nick name, I cannot play on Nightmare but I am able to play on UV Fast but of course, I do it with lots of saves and loads.

Edited by Can't play on Nightmare

Sunlust, a megawad of new levels for Doom 2, on UV- Fast is more enjoyable than any map of Doom2. Give it a chance!

17 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

UV-Fast is still far easier than Nightmare as the enemies dont come back to life in seconds after they are killed. This makes a great difference.

As you see from my nick name, I cannot play on Nightmare but I am able to play on UV Fast but of course, I do it with lots of saves and loads.

I cannot provide a meaningful response to this that isn't the equivalent of saying ''okay''.

You play how you play.

24 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Sunlust, a megawad of new levels for Doom 2, on UV- Fast is more enjoyable than any map of Doom2. Give it a chance!

This map looks way too hard for UV-Fast.

I wouldnt play Final Doom on UV Fast. Neither TNT nor Plutonia.

Final Doom feels too hard even on normal UV :D

Played Ultimate Doom on UV-fast once, and it was generally fun, until I reached E4.

Never again. And forcing myself to play without saves was a horrible mistake, I tortured myself so much.

Just join any Salty/Duck server with tough and fast monsters and see how "fun" it can be.

1 hour ago, seed said:

Played Ultimate Doom on UV-fast once, and it was generally fun, until I reached E4.

Never again. And forcing myself to play without saves was a horrible mistake, I tortured myself so much.

Yeah E4 would bore me on UV-Fast.

Level 1 and Level 2 are hard even on normal UV.

The Plutonia Experiement is the hardest official classic Doom game. Even "I am too young to die" choice doesnt feel easy like the rest of the games. Never ever played it even on normal UV. Lol.

Nope, just ultra-violence. Sometimes i'll play with fast monsters other times i'll play with both.

Played them once on UV Fast, didn't like it. I actually found it easier than regular UV since monster behaviour is far more predictable.

On 5/28/2020 at 8:03 PM, Andromeda said:

Played them once on UV Fast, didn't like it. I actually found it easier than regular UV since monster behaviour is far more predictable.

It can be a double-edged sword but it always depends on the situation. The enemies can get stuck spamming projectiles into corners but if you are forced into the open, it gets much harder. One clear loser however, is the Arch-Vile. -fast really does a number on him.

But most other monsters benefit from it and it makes them more dangerous even though more predictable.

I like -fast, and I think it's good for the iwads.

That Sunlust video looks like almost pure memorization/rehearsal to me, which is not something I enjoy in any game.

soemone managed to beat the hardest megawad(sunlust and others) on uv-fast without tas or other crappy helper and 100% kill?

Ah? Plutonia is hard?

I played a handful of other things (eg: almost all the maps in 50 Monsters) on UV -Fast. It's just for occasional enjoyment. Personally I would say UV -Fast is something like NM or UV Max/Reality that sometimes makes me want to try it out, but not always I want to play with it.

2 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

Ah? Plutonia is hard?

I played a handful of other things (eg: almost all the maps in 50 Monsters) on UV -Fast. It's just for occasional enjoyment. Personally I would say UV -Fast is something like NM or UV Max/Reality that sometimes makes me want to try it out, but not always I want to play with it.

Plutonia's I am too young to die feels like Doom 2's Ultra Violence.

Generally, I'd rather just play harder maps on regular UV, but I have thought of trying Plutonia with fast monsters.

14 hours ago, Aaron Blain said:

I like -fast, and I think it's good for the iwads.

That Sunlust video looks like almost pure memorization/rehearsal to me, which is not something I enjoy in any game.

That's not UV -fast, and it looks like memorization and rehearsal because it's a competitive speedrunning demo, not a walkthrough.

Not really. I usually stick with regular UV. Been getting into NM lately and it's pretty frustrating, but rewarding at the same time.

9 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

That's not UV -fast, and it looks like memorization and rehearsal because it's a competitive speedrunning demo, not a walkthrough.

Oh, well there you go. I'm glad speedrunners enjoy Doom in their way, and I find speedrunning documentaries weirdly fascinating, but it's not a way of playing that interests me personally.

I would guess that speedrunners wouldn't be as interested in UV -fast because, as I understand it, enemies add a lot of brute-force rng manipulation to speedrun rehearsal.

I'm sure I could develop my reflexes considerably, but even when I'm not playing on -fast, a chaingunner ambush is something I need to know about beforehand much of the time.

On 6/8/2020 at 10:49 AM, Aaron Blain said:

[...]

That Sunlust video looks like almost pure memorization/rehearsal to me [...]

Kind of a tangent, but just wanted to talk about that run (more than the OP) and speedruns in general. Also not addressing the part where you say it isn't for you; that's totally fine and I get that. 

That run is a 1st exit by j4rio, who is a really good player. It's also a pretty finicky map where your time can depend a lot on RNG. (Which is why someone who is really nitpicky will spot lots of 'mistakes' there, for such a short run, because mistakes matter less than everything cooperating smoothly. His future run is a lot smoother and has better localized routing.)  

So basically, the memorization and rehearsal is far from pure there, and not really extensive for speedrun standards. After working out the route/plan, a capable runner could memorize/rehearse everything needed for that run (the 1:53) in a short amount of time, like a pretty small fraction of an hour.

Then the hard part is grinding and having everything cooperate and getting a sufficiently fast exit and not messing up the improvisation (which there's plenty of). 

Also, if j4rio wanted to post a time of like around 2:10, that run would probably look super fast to everyone if they hadn't seen that video before. But starting from a decent route, and then giving himself some slack in what actually happens, that time might take him maybe 5-10 minutes of real-life time to accomplish.

Something related to that: a lot of why speedruns can take time to grind is not because they inherently have to. (They rarely have to unless there are fluky tricks/conjunctions that make the run really unlikely to come together, or the map is just really hard to survive, at any marginally fast pace.) It's because shaving off progressively more time, which speedrunners tend to decide to do, ramps up in difficulty and how much time it takes to accomplish.

2 hours ago, Aaron Blain said:

I would guess that speedrunners wouldn't be as interested in UV -fast because, as I understand it, enemies add a lot of brute-force rng manipulation to speedrun rehearsal.

Opposite. -fast's behavior is more consistent and reliable. People run it less because runners tend to run what they'd actually play (or enjoy playing), or find abstractly interesting (which is why stroller runs are a thing lol). A lot of what I've heard about -fast is runners tend to think of it as a 'shitty version of max', although some occasionally take interest in it. ;)

I'm not clear on what you mean by 'brute-force rng manipulation', but literally manipulating RNG tables is a very rare thing in any run.

Edited by rdwpa

On 5/28/2020 at 7:03 PM, Redneckerz said:

i play on default, so Hurt me Plenty

image.png?w=680

jk, jk

2 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Opposite. -fast's behavior is more consistent and reliable. People run it less because runners tend to run what they'd actually play (or enjoy playing), or find abstractly interesting (which is why stroller runs are a thing lol). A lot of what I've heard about -fast is runners tend to think of it as a 'shitty version of max', although some occasionally take interest in it. ;)

I'm not clear on what you mean by 'brute-force rng manipulation', but literally manipulating RNG tables is a very rare thing in any run.

I never would have guessed that! Fascinating! I'd never heard of 'strollers', so thanks for that.

By brute force, I just mean restarting until the monsters zig instead of zag when you need them to.

On 6/8/2020 at 6:42 PM, GarrettChan said:

Ah? Plutonia is hard?

about this. occasionally only. one should play what he/she enjoys. especially as i don't get to play that often, and -fast requires more practice.

6 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

I finished all 4 episodes of Doom and also Doom 2 on UV Fast. 

That reminds me of something.

But good to hear that you also finished Doom on it.

14 hours ago, Vic Vos said:

image.png?w=680

jk, jk

Is that from a Monty Python movie? My memories are shady about this image reaction.