Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smeghammer

finding assigned and USED sector tag numbers

Question

I have a big-assed map and have used >120 sector tags for various action specials.

When I use the assign fresh tag button, it will always assign the next highest number, even if a smaller tag number is now available for use, so clearly a flag is set somewhere for the highest tag number currently assigned.

sector-tag.png.bdc9b9d31214550fd393dcc330a381d4.png

As I have progressed, I have changed my mind about certain things and no longer action some of the previously assigned sector tag numbers. I'd like to re-use these, if possible without manually going back and checking all my flagged sectors and linedefs. In other words, I want to re-use one that has been assigned to a given action in the past, but is now available for use for a different action (because I removed the script or linedef action).

I am using Eureka on Ubuntu, so it *might* be specific to that editor..

In any event, is there a way (scripted or otherwise) to find the following:

- which sector tag numbers have been assigned

- which of the assigned sector tag numbers are actually used

Now, as a programmer in my real life job, I do understand that this is not necessarily a trivial task, particularly I suspect for determining which sector tags are used by scripts. I am however (now) using sector tags only in conjunction with linedef action specials (i.e. does (g)zdoom have an internal stack/array of assigned and used sector tag/action objects that is exposed) if that helps...

6 answers to this question

Thanks for the request, I'm putting it on my tracker so I remember to improve that feature.

Ah - I see who you are now :-)

Eureka is pretty cool. Particularly as it runs well on Ubuntu...

I came across something to do with custom things as well. If you want details I can start a new thread or post here?

Yes, I'm now the developer of Eureka, @andrewj gave it to me to continue it.

14 minutes ago, smeghammer said:

I came across something to do with custom things as well. If you want details I can start a new thread or post here?

If it's a continuation of your question, post it here. If it's something else but still related to Eureka, maybe it would be better to start a new thread :)

The Check Tags dialog will show you the lowest and highest numbered tag, but there is no facility to show all the used tag numbers.

Note that in the Doom format, tags can go all the way up to 65534.

2 hours ago, andrewj said:

The Check Tags dialog

Doh! Thanks - missed that one completely after using the check menu many times...