Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zark

Nostalgic

What gaming moment (or moments) makes you most nostalgic?

For me, it would have to be Dark Forces, level 3, and the music. I was sitting playing it last night and I just got a wave of nostalgia, it reminded me when I used to play it all the time on my 486. The FM midi, the VGA graphics... ah, it took me back. Doom 2 does it as well, the later levels anyway.

Lemmings! Ah, the amount of time I wasted playing Lemmings in b/w VGA on my old ... whatever it was that came before the 286.

Grazza said:

Lemmings! Ah, the amount of time I wasted playing Lemmings in b/w VGA on my old ... whatever it was that came before the 286.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy text game for my old Apple 2E. I played that even before reading the books, and although there's not a single graphic to be found, it was still one of the most fun games I had on that old clunker.

Other old classics I used to play until my carpet had a permanent indentation:

Super Breakout
Megamania (I beat the game when the score hit all nines, with the next shot freezing the game. It took at least an hour.)

Nostalgic arcade games:

Gyruss
Arkanoid (An excellent time waster. It takes nearly an hour to beat it, getting a score that was practically out of reach of nearly everyone else)
Contra and Super Contra
1943 (Another good time waster. I could get to the last ship on one quarter, but never past it without spending more money)
Discs of Tron (Wasn't very good at it, but still fun)
Gauntlet (A regular quarter gobbler. Just try to have any kind of adventure with four players when one of them insists on going his own way.)

Hocus Pocus, PC speakers. That and Raptor with Adlib sounds. No seriously.

Oh yeah, how could I forget Team Fortress? I've played that for almost a year as [Nerd]Brain. I still play CustomTF every so often.

Not sure... probably nothing. The old games I've played can stay there in my memory, there's no need to place them anywhere else. As for DOOM itself, the early days don't conjure nostalgia, cause I used to suck at playing it back then, plus I like it now more than in the past.

The music to 'Space Quest' (Sierra RPG), and remembering how it sounded when coming through the PC speaker all those years ago.

Something akin to hearing someone playing an anal flute while suffering from chronic diorreah.

Super Mario 3 for the NES. I recently played through it again on an emulator and the nostalgia just washed over me sometimes. Such a thing of rare, transcendental digital beauty, contained in a 300K cartridge. I love Nintendo.

Any game from the SNES era that I own. Most N64 games I own (yeah, they've gotten that old now). And a couple of PC games too.

Ichor said:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy text game for my old Apple 2E. I played that even before reading the books, and although there's not a single graphic to be found, it was still one of the most fun games I had on that old clunker.

I remember that game. I also had several other text based games.. they came with the computer when my parents bought it from a friend.

I can't remember any games that gave me nostalgia though... maybe rush games, reminds me of spending money on crap food and playing rush 2 all night.

Playing any of these: OMF, Jazz Jackrabbit, Raptor, ROTT, Counter Strike (flight sim). And many others. Actually I haven't played ROTT, and Counter Strike in atleast 6 years, so if I managed to play them I know I'd get chocked up. =P

Among other things, I would have to say playing Duke Nukem 3D makes me long for the old days. I never really played it that much, so the bock of time that I actually did spend playing it will always be connected to the game itself in my mind.

I'd have to say the Amiga era, especially games like Moonstone, Dune 2, Brutal Sports Football, Pinball Fantasies, etc.

What makes me nostalgic is playing through all those levels I downloaded back when I first got Doom and Doom2. Ah, memories....I should go download them all again and play through them all, one after the other, sometime.

Scuba Steve said:

Sam and Max hit the Road

nxn said:

...Jazz Jackrabbit, Raptor...

deathz0r said:

...Dune 2...

ravage said:

...PC speakers...Adlib sounds...

OMFG YES

Nostalgiamania!

Spike said:

The music to 'Space Quest' (Sierra RPG), and remembering how it sounded when coming through the PC speaker all those years ago.

Something akin to hearing someone playing an anal flute while suffering from chronic diorreah.

Heh...yes, but its a classic tune and Sierra ruled back in the day.

Anyway, I have so many classic memories:

Watching my parents play the games that were too violent for me, but were content enough to let me sit behind them and watch for hours. My mom played Wolfenstein and Liesure Suit Larry, and my dad played Doom, Doom 2, and Duke Nukem 3D.

Playing games on my old Commadore 64.

Beating Galatix (or was it called Galactix?). It was some old vertical shooter like Space Invaders, but with high graphics (for its time),and upgrades and such. I remember thinking the intro was the greatest accomplishment ever made on the PC (IT HAD DIGITIZED SPEACH!). Oh yeah, and about 5 years later, the same people made Raptor. :P

Playing Super Mario Bros., Gyromite, Karnov, and Skate or Die at my friends house on his Nintendo so many years ago. BTW, we never beat any of those games. :P

Playing Goldeneye over at the same friends house for hours. I'd go over there right after school and wouldn't come home until dinner time. :P We always had at least four people, so there was never a lack of fun.

The intro to Civilization. It was just so cool to me for some reason, and the song has stuck with me for years.

Playing Quake 2 DM. I used to come home after school back in 9th grade or so and hog the phone line for a few hours while I played against my best friend. Later, when Wizards of the Coast opened up, we'd have Quake 2 LAN games over there for a few hours every week or until they decided to take it off in favor of Counter-Strike and Quake 3 (eew). I haven't played a good game of Q2dm since. :(

Xenon 2!!!

Too bad the drone was overpowered in relation to the other weapons.

And that stupid merchant always tells me to buy the back shot and the flamer. What for?

I remember Gyromite. I got good enough at it where I could play it without needing that robot or the gyroscopes (I still have them and the spinner somewhere, but I sold the bot).

Ichor said:

I remember Gyromite. I got good enough at it where I could play it without needing that robot or the gyroscopes (I still have them and the spinner somewhere, but I sold the bot).

Heh. My friend didn't have the robot either. I would be the guy controlling the thingies while he would play as the little dude. I remember getting good at it and fake-squashing him a few times, so that it would just smush the guy a little, but not enough to kill him.

I always played by myself. I used one hand to control the player, and the other hand to control the pipes..or whatever they were. Many times I would squish myself like that just for laughs, and to squeeze through tight spots. And I usually played it with Devo playing in the background.