Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: 25 Years on Earth

MAP02 (Crispy/UV/continuous): A bit more interesting. I liked the yellow and red key room. Reasonably fun combat encounter and I liked both the process of lowering the platforms and having to go into the small cubbies to actually open the doors. Nothing spectacular, but fun. Wasn’t entirely sure what was going on with the raising platform for the blue key, but in retrospect, it was probably the first hint of the platform raising/lowering puzzle dynamics that would feature more in later maps. Saw the platform rise and honestly am not sure whether I lowered it by doing something or whether it was designed to do that. Probably the former, but can't recall since I've played a ways ahead now.

Edited by ironicmoustache : playstyle

MAP 2

It's a quite step up from the previous map. The map is straight-foward and action-focused, with a nice techbase feeling and some small puzzles and challenges to get all the keys.

Got myself dead again, though, because I entered in the 64-wide HK closet and he trapped me in the right moment haha While I wished to have a stronger weapon to deal with the HKs, in other hands they're optional to kill, so I decided to let them live.

Anyway, really fun map.

Map preference:

2, 1

Edited by Deadwing

3 hours ago, Capellan said:

no music

:(

@TheOrganGrinder Well done on finding the MAP02 chaingun! I've not seen or heard of many people finding that so far!

Doom II: 25 Years on Earth

I started making this megaWAD last year when I realised September 30th 2019 would be the 25th Anniversary of Doom II being released (obviously). However, it was something stupid like July or August last year when I had this realisation, so to capitalise on this opportunity and celebrate the game I've comfortably spent the most time on in my life, I thought "MegaWAD! Quick maps! Limit-removing, because that's easier!" - then I thought about a gimmick, because I like those, and decided that I could probably use every line and sector action in 32 maps. How hard can that be, right?

Well... My deadline came and I'd made maps 20-32, 15, 16 and 01-03. I started at MAP30 and worked back to MAP20, before hitting "key" maps like 16, 32, 31 and 15 (in that order) and then working on the first "cluster" (01-06), hoping to have a 6-map demo together as I was clearly not going to be on time. The "problem" was I kept getting too into my map ideas and making longer, more complex maps than originally intended. Hard to believe at the moment, I'm sure, but those of you who've played the demo will know that MAP16 is rather heavily detailed and that there's some funky puzzles later in the set. Having failed to meet my deadline, I kept getting distracted by life and other projects, leading to a full release that was approximately .666 of a year late (I hope). Hopefully the extra time paid off!

I've rigorously tested each map through from pistol-starts, also in the target compatibility of prboom+ on complevel 2 (don't worry - default compatibility is fine - you'll just get a slightly different experience of the lighting effect in MAP13), so hopefully this is a nice, big-free experience for everybody. I'm going to play for fun and do the whole thing UV continuous in GZDoom (with freelook and the odd save where I know things are getting a bit hairy). This is actually my first time to play the whole thing as a set, so I'm kindof excited!

Those of you playing on lower difficulties will probably experience an excess of ammo pretty quickly (particularly playing continuous), as my main method of implementing difficulties is removing monsters on the lower settings. On UV, we'll probably find that ammo stacks up on whatever weapons we're not using on continuous, whilst pistol-starters may find some maps kind of tight!

MAP01: Drop Pod Excursion

I decided to follow the tyson crowd here, which isn't the most efficient way to play. I used the shotgun to pick off the two elevated imps, and tanked a load of damage. Still, a couple of medikits at the end of the map meant I finished over 60 health, which should be fine for MAP02. A cheery music track of a triumphant return was chosen to encourage you to blow through this one quickly and have a bit of fun, although I will concede that the MIDI including a vocal track is a bit dodgy.

I have to admit, the invisible walls in the street are inelegant. I justified it to myself at the time as Doomguy being mission-oriented, but in practice it's just that I didn't have any decent in-game story reason to wall it off! The drop pod leaving a crater and violently blasting the door off through some enemies are decent examples of how I wanted to use hints of in-game story to explain both the light opposition in a large space and how you get a shotgun straight away.

The house that you go through is actually a pretty reasonable representation of my apartment, albeit with a bit more space and less furniture. I blew up the upstairs neighbours here so that I could fit the Doom engine better, whilst the street outside and the park you've dropped into are completely fictitious. The garden is reasonably accurate, bar the giant concrete bunker. Probably my first proper MYHOUSE.WAD map, so that was a nice new experience for me. In terms of meeting the line and sector specials objective, this map was useless, but I wanted to make a nice scene-setter and this felt like it fit the bill. If you missed the chainsaw here, or are playing with pistol starts, you won't see another for quite a while!

On a final technical note, the berserk secret was a bit awkward and was one of very few things I changed from the demo release. In the original version, you could step up the sides of the compartment and accidentally step over the berserk, missing it or not triggering the secret. Now you're slightly more likely to need to step into the sector itself and trigger the secret to collect the powerup, but the impassable walls are a bit fiddly to get around. One of those little things where the visual design gets in the way, unfortunately!

MAP01, UV pistol start
100k/100s

Man, this is not too great impression - it serves well as first level, but bit slow for my tastes and the midi.. might be bit crusty.
The road being surrounded by invisible walls isn't best choice imo - I have just come to prefer visible walls to invisible walls even if they don't make too much sense (just conveniently placed trash and maybe bunch of road raised by whatever calamity got the house). 
The last secret is bit purposeless since you are at end of the level, but I guess if playing continuously it does work. 

MAP02, UV pistol start
100k/0s

I guess it's slow burn. This midi rendition is somewhat better than previous. The map01 does connect to map02, which I always enjoy (although sometimes it does limit on what you can do with exit or opening at times). 
The map's fine itself and I like the structuring of it. It looks good using stock textures and being 'relatively' vanilla. I did not find any secrets, which were more well-hidden than last map.
The gameplay at least starts introducing mid-tier demons, thankfully sparsely enough so affairs with shotgun isn't tedius ordeal. Blasting just zombies with shotgun never gets old though, and I appreciate levels where you get to enjoy that sort of gameplay. Bonus points for generous number of barrels in the map!

MAP02: Bunka Busta (Kills: 90/92, Secrets: 1/2, Deaths: 0)

This is geometrically an incredibly simple map, consisting of concentric circle sections. You start on the outside and make your way towards the inside of the circle. I like this geometrical simplicity and it reminded me of Eviternity MAP01, which has the similar shape. Now, how we got to the bunker from the residential apartments seems to be largely glossed over. Continuity?

The first time around I was a little tight on ammunition so this time I used the shotgun more sparingly. I wish I found the secret Chaingun, since I was drowning in bullets! The 'secret' Soulsphere (I think everyone will find it) was super useful since I could just zip around in the inside courtyard and soak up the damage without care for my life. Even without it the combat is fairly easy though. Only thing I was uneasy about were those pillars that come down after entering the central area, I was always anxious they would crush me if I loitered around the door. Not much else to say.

One thing I will say about the music in general is that I am not a huge fan of rock/metal MIDI music in DooM maps, even though I generally like the genre. It just does not 'fit' DooM in my mind.

MAP02: Getting some real action and already 3 keys in this small layout. The secret chaingun is something you wish to find sooner, it would help a lot to clean the courtyard with the toxic pools but with even only the SG it wasn't a grind. Kinda nice the BK platform, it gives me some ideas.

I like the choice of using rock/metal songs as soundtrack, it's something that gives the wad a more personal feel.

MAP02:Bunker Buster is a small map with a simple layout, whose progression is a noticeable contrast from the previous map's straightforward path to the exit. Three keys and a few pressed/pulled switches are necessary to pass, but the progression isn't all that tough to understand. Throughout the map I was also sort of asking myself "when's the chaingun coming?", but that's mostly because I had a bunch of bullets and wanted to use them easily. I did use my pistol throughout the map because of this.

I like the overall look of the map, and I feel the music choice works nicely for a map of this type of mood. In fact, those two are probably the parts that stands out most to me on this map. Combat didn't feel particularly interesting, it probably was because it got a bit samey easily grinding down a beefier enemy's health with the regular shotgun.

Map ratings:

Spoiler

Maps get rated on different lists (which I'll add as I deem necessary) depending on which part of the map I liked most, and the placement on said list is dependent on what I think of the map as a whole.

Maps I liked for their simplicity:
MAP01:Drop Pod Excursion

Maps I liked for their aesthetics(visuals & music combined):
MAP02:Bunker Buster

glBoom+ 2.5.1.7um, skill 4, continuous with saves

GET UP!

Something something four horsemen something

I did not find the secret chaingun. But having to pistol some imps and caco was actually quite fun.

After the past few months of decidedly non-modern megawad, the aesthetics and gameplay of this is still catching me off guard. Another great map.

Left the MIDI on OPL2 and this song sounds great too, despite a couple bum notes that sound hilarious.

Spoiler

MAP02: Bunker Buster (25 Years on Earth)

PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4, HNTR-PS, no saves, 100% everything

This one's longer than it looks. After the previous Tyson friendly level, here we get to use guns liberally. You won't get anything more powerful than a chaingun, but it's still enough to deal with the low ranking monsters easily. The blue key area features our first puzzle which is fairly easy to solve. The secret supercharge section bears a passing resemblance to Underhalls, the other secret is harder to find and contains another IWAD homage, no spoilers but it's worth searching for it.

The level's main event takes place in the central large area filled with barrels, hitscanners and a few demons. Nothing too difficult, just make sure you don't get killed by a stray barrel explosion. This section contains two keys and they lower in different fashions, I prefer the way the red key lowers personally. The way the level's constructed seemed susceptible to break easily but I couldn't hack it, so kudos on keeping it bug free :) Visually it looks fine, not much else to comment on that front. Another good level.

Levels in order of preference:

Spoiler

MAP02: Bunker Buster

MAP01: Drop Pod Excursion

Got all 3 keys already in this short little base romp. I love the visuals and details, all great stuff. Lots of curves, judging both from playing this map and all the other screenshots in Phobus’ thread. Gameplay here still isn’t very big, only getting us as far as a few cacos on HMP. Again, not much to say, but I’m very interested in where else the WAD takes us.

MAP02: Bunker Buster. Played in UV using Brutal Doom and LZDoom.

Pretty curve map. Wink. Quite fun and fast enough, with well placed monsters and enough items to go around. Really liked the yellow lights in the ramps, and the key hunting was simple enough to be effective and fun. I'm not a big fan of maps that make you go around, get you lost and have you brake your keyboard after 30 minutes without finding the last key. So far, so good, so what ?

Okay, I'll give this a try on UV. GZDoom/continuous/saves, as usual.

MAP01: Drop Pod Excursion (UV/continuous)

3:30 | 100% Everything

A short little opener. I didn't want to waste (?) the early berserk, so I start pistolling everything outside, then got tired of that (and down to like 75% health) so I went back and zerked the rest of 'em. I too was not a fan of the invisible walls on the street; I saw the shotgunners in the windows, and tried dodging to the side only to slam into a wall I wasn't expecting. Actually, I found myself getting hung up on a lot of corners once inside the building, owing to either the cramped architecture, or the samey textures that made doorways blend into the walls around them. Fun enough map, though. I dig the music in this WAD.

MAP02: Bunker Buster (UV/continuous)

11:42 | 100% Everything

Ammo starting to squeeze a little bit. I switched to the pistol a couple of times to conserve shells. I like the main conceit here where you have to navigate around a central area to lower and grab the keys. I was expecting some ambushes upon key pickup, but none were ever forthcoming. And I didn't see the point of the blue bars lowering each time you entered. (I didn't know that's what that switch did the first time I went in.) Also not a fan of the initial blue key pickup, where there's a switch that (near as I can tell) only serves to cut off access to the key, lowering again once you leave the room. The last thing I found was the chaingun secret, of course. I couldn't even figure out how to straferun over to it initially, so I managed to open the alcove from ground level, sending out the two HKs. It took me probably 6-8 tries to make that jump (keyboard-only!) and discover the chaingun that would have been a big help just a minute earlier, instead of taking on HKs with a pistol and a dwindling supply of shells! Still, another fun level.

The wad is apparently set up for continuous play, but this map (and others I've looked at) works just as well from a pistol start, with a shotgun and chaingun available pretty much straightaway and a green armour plate within easy reach. It's enjoyable knockabout stuff once again, with varied, not too difficult action and good atmospherics in the gloomy opening section.

I was puzzled by one thing, as seen in the video below. What was that exit door at 5:00 all about? It's visible from the balcony opposite, and is apparently accessed via a red key. A secret? Or a joke? I seem to have got 100% secrets, the only one being that box of shells near the beginning. No doubt Mr Phobus will elucidate this matter for us!

(No title pic showing up for the video it seems, but it plays okay)

Edited by Summer Deep

@Summer Deep according to the _MAPS text file in the zip, MAP03 is built from the inaccessible areas of one of Phobus' previous maps, which in turn serves as "a backdrop" to this one. So just a bit of extra fleshing out of the world, I'd guess.

Since it's already the third where I am, have my thoughts on said map:

MAP03 (Crispy/UV/continuous): Chaingunners and arachnotrons, nice. The secret was a bit underwhelming in both content (definitely great for pistol starts, but Phobus encouraged continuous play and I decided to go along with that, so...) and ease of discovery, but I guess it makes some sense given the gloominess of the opening section and how the lit-up door is designed to draw the player's attention. I liked the presence of the inaccessible outside area and second exit door near the final chaingunners, made it feel like the level exists in a bigger world. Did make wonder the same thing as Summer Deep for a while, though!

The room with the crates and imps up on the high ledge was probably my favourite, but I also liked going through the corridor towards the end and having walls open up once you reach what seems like a dead end. Nice touch. Not a spectacular level or anything, but the combat is fun and the map definitely has a flow to it.

Edited by ironicmoustache

100% kills, 2/2 secret

For a map called "bunker buster" I was a bit disappointed to not find a single rocket. Jokes aside, I liked the design of this one - wasn't clear until I went past the first blue door, but I liked the design of the central area with the outer rings around it, good sense of place. The hell knights guarding the blue key were a bit strange, at first I thought the one on the key teleported, only to then realize they were two separate guys... I suppose the intent is you kill the first one and the key is being taken away? Really liked the chaingun secret, took me awhile to find but felt obvious once I did.

MAP03 - Urban Renewal

Not too shabby. The addition of chaingunners and arachnotrons was neat and the combat for this one was fun on a bun. The map's overall layout left me a little underwhelmed as I thought I was going to be able to explore an urban street but was disappointed that most of that aspect of the map is closed off and not really utilised. I certainly don't dislike this one, but after Bunker Buster, it falls a little short.

The more I think about it, having to play these small maps on a day to day basis may be doing the WAD a slight disservice for what Phobus was ultimately going for, so I think I'm going to blast through this WAD again in one playthrough session at a later date when the club has moved on to next month's megaWAD and see how that changes the overall experience.

MAP03: Urban Renewal (UV/continuous)

7:58 | 100% Everything

Not a bad little map, albeit incredibly linear. I all-but-maxed the entire level barring the secret in about 4½ minutes, the spent the next 3½ retracing my steps to find the secret... which turned out to be the box of shells tucked around a corner that I had been saving until I was ready to leave... :facepalm: I do wish I had been able to visit more of the outside area, but I did appreciate that it was almost nonstop action from start to finish. Fun stuff.

The more I think about it, having to play these small maps on a day to day basis may be doing the WAD a slight disservice for what Phobus was ultimately going for, so I think I'm going to blast through this WAD again in one playthrough session at a later date when the club has moved on to next month's megaWAD and see how that changes the overall experience.

I decided to just play maybe two or three levels per day, and jotting down my thoughts about the levels after playing all of the day's levels. Probably going to take some breaks from it so as to not get too far ahead, too. Not sure if it's entirely in keeping with the spirit of the DWMC, but the levels are really too short to play one a day I feel.

Edited by ironicmoustache

MAP03

Not a fan of the bind leap into demons, or of the general stringiness of the layout, but I did like the opening with the two 'trons and clumps of troopers.  Got things off to a blood-pumping start, even if they rapidly became more tepid thereafter.

MAP03, UV pistol start
100k/100s

Map03 is another step up and introduces chaingunners (and consequently the chaingun), as well as arachnotrons - who are thankfully completely neutered by the weapon. Going is starting to get tougher, although very easy so far. 
If there is anything these three maps have so far shown, all of them have very strong sense of place. Map03 succeeds in it particularly with its city streets, corpse-filled hallway.. Far cry from abstractions of Doom 2 and some other mapsets (although this is not a flaw, just a preference of mine to extend).

@Summer Deep as @ironicmoustache said, I built the map out of the inaccessible backdrop of a previous release, which is part of the fun of making backdrops and fleshing the world out a bit when making levels, IMO. I'll go into it a bit more tomorrow. Thanks to you and @DuckReconMajor for posting videos, as well! It's interesting to see how the maps get approached by people who aren't familiar with them.

The main benefit of taking the risky tyson approach in the previous map, for continuous players, is you get plenty of shells to take this map on with and can avoid using the pistol at all. Of course, playing the last map carefully does mean that you can often leave the green armour until the end of this map and pick it up to go into the next map topped up, so there's already an element of strategy here. I agree with the general sentiment that the Chaingun/KISS/E4M1 secret does come a bit late for when you'd best use it in this map, but it's an early-access weapon that I didn't want to give away too easily for fear of trivialising this map. Unlike later early-access weapon secrets, this one isn't very timely, however. In hindsight, that secret should be accessible earlier or easier to get to when the action first kicks off.

As for the map itself, we're in a concrete bunker that links the suburbs (and MYHOUSE) to a city centre. I'd seen Kiss live not long before making this map and was on a bit of a high, hence the music and logo secret. I don't often approve of vocal tracks in MIDIs, as they're often high-pitched and annoying, but this one contributes some amusing bum notes to the mix, whilst still being fun and upbeat. I like the heavy use of STONE and CEMENT here to make a kind of concrete bunker, and made heavy use of line actions here to "use some up". Hence one key coming down with a Donut special and the other using a lower-to-8-above special. The bars behind the blue key doors serve to trap you in to an intense firefight the first time, but as there's two entrances and an awkward-to-use repeatable line type, it turned into an awkward repeatable thing that isn't too intrusive if you're clear on where you're going (I think).

The little control rooms with computers and key switches are a mix of lore and using up line actions (a trend you may notice on a fair few maps, TBH), but I like that it let me make use of an odd room shape and have windows showing you what's behind the key doors. I think I say this in the _MAPS text file, but this is definitely a favourite of mine from this set. Fast-paced Doom that's not too threatening is something I enjoy.

MAP03: Urban Renewal

This is a neat little map that succeeds at feeling much bigger than it is - or, at the very least, at creating an impression of a large environment of which the navigable, playable portion is but one small part.  Not every city map has to do that - there's nothing wrong with a self-contained environment, and it's all too easy for attempts at enclosure to feel artificial - but I'm always happy to see a level that can pull it off.  Mostly, then, you're presented with a barricade and tasked with making your way through a small building in order to circumnavigate it, only to find at the level's end that another barricade bars your path and you need to head west instead of east and south.  There's some neat illusionism present in the environment here, with a red-trimmed door marked at the exit which you can't get to, in a map that lacks a red key, and which doesn't even function as a foor anyway, or the passages that lead you over and around the enclosed exit room to suggest a multi-level structure.  Gameplay is mostly low key with chaingunners and arachnotrons puttin in their first appearance; one of the latter lurks in an out-of-bounds area and serves mostly to try and push you forward into the other spider's territory.

MAP 3

It's another step-up from the previous both maps. As others have said, chaingunner is introduced and the arachnotron, which adds a nice amount of variety.

Regardless, the progression is really neat and classy, especially with the walls opening themselves which is a lot IWADish. Difficulty is easy, but monsters are smartely placed, with nice mix of hitscanners + projectile monsters combining snipers, ambushes and lots of meat to kill with your chaingunner :D

Anyway, loved the moody garage intro and the in-house adventure!

Map preference:

3, 2, 1

MAP03: Another simple layout with some nice tricks like areas that keep opening and the urban scenery that keeps to establish the theme. Finally a chaingun and a couple of arachnotrons too, which was a good thing to spice up the low-tier gameplay.

MAP03: Urban Renewal, while simpler and mostly shorter than the last map, is more interesting throughout the whole of it's run. Not only does it feel like there's more to the place you're at than what you can play in(without being immersion-breaking like MAP01), but the combat flies by at a more entertaining(compared to MAP02) pace by default since you get a non-secret chaingun on this map. That trap when you went in a sort of circle was also pretty creative. Nice map, all around.

Map ratings:

Spoiler

Maps get rated on different lists (which I'll add as I deem necessary) depending on which part of the map I liked most, and the placement on said list is dependent on what I think of the map as a whole.

Maps I liked for their simplicity:
MAP01:Drop Pod Excursion

Maps I liked for their aesthetics(visuals & music combined):

Maps I liked for their sense of place:
MAP03:Urban Renewal

Little underground tunnels and a building within them. Do these levels take influence from their analogous levels in Doom II? The exit area reminded me of an exit area in the original game, but I’m not sure if it’s the one from MAP03 or not, it’s been a long time since I played those levels. This one introduces chaingunners and arachnotrons, always a pleasure. Visuals here are great again, making all sorts of fun shit out of only stock textures. Going Down has always been one of my favorite WADs, I always really like this kind of thing.

MAP03: Urban Renewal (25 Years on Earth)

PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4, HNTR-PS, no saves, 100% everything

Didn't like this one as much to be honest. Very linear, obvious secret and a blind leap at the end that can be a bit tricky to execute with infinite tall monsters. On the upside it was fairly challenging and letting the player look at the detailed out of bounds areas was a neat touch. Decent level, but a bit of a downgrade over the previous.

Levels in order of preference:

Spoiler

MAP01: Drop Pod Excursion

MAP03: Urban Renewal. Played in UV with Brutal Doom and LZDoom.

Decent area, cool visuals with some fun monster placement but nothing extraordinary or truly majestic, just fun. The one secret is just so obvious is not even secret tho, still, this map gives you the feel that you have to play non-stop, kinda like Scythe. Maps are small but well packed, and so far there hasn't been a difficulty spike, but I'm kinda expecting already one at the next 10 maps. Still, pretty fun.

glBoom+ 2.5.1.7um, skill 4, continuous with saves

More difficult, at least to me, this time. I definitely played more carefully than in other maps, despite the fact I'm using saves still.

The chaingunner taking itself and a lost soul out with the barrel was great.

This map made me glad I've switched to software this month, here the "i cannot see the poopoo, captain" school of lighting was used to great effect.
The stairway of stacked boxes kind of walked a line between uncanny and natural. Someone definitely was using those boxes as stairs before me. Or something.

The song sounded somewhat familiar but I do not recognize the original. It is a great song though.

Spoiler

Map03: Another map set in a city, but with another traditional, linear layout. You start in a closed off tunnel being attacked by monsters in the surrounding city, and the goal seems to be to escape the tunnel and head into the outside, however, the map doesn't exactly play out like this. You never really get to explore that area which is somewhat disappointing, the rest of the map is still pretty fun, wrapping around a small building, eventually reaching the upper area which has an interesting corridor that you loop around before opening up several walls leading to an ambush that I didn't really notice until I turned around and realized what I had done by crossing a linedef. This map brought to me the realization that there aren't really any traditional city maps in this set, no sandboxes. There are maps set in a city however they lack the distinction of their tropes as set by the man himself, Sandy Petersen.