Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BassSlapper89

Ultimate Jazz Jackrabbit Doom - Episode 4 (Out Now)

Fuck yeah, dude. Gratz on the release. It's been cool to follow the development of this project and see just how far it's come.

1 hour ago, xvertigox said:

Fuck yeah, dude. Gratz on the release. It's been cool to follow the development of this project and see just how far it's come.

Thank you buddy. It has been awesome to see as well. I am close to finishing with any updates. :)

Hey guys, I've been playing this wad in virtual reality and it was fantastic! If anyone here have a vr headset then you should try it out by yourself with gzdoomvr. Extra thanks for Bass slapper 89 who made this possible!

I have to say that this is a fantastic mod, really well and quality, but I have a few suggestions for a potential v10.0 if you want to call it like that - something to make it really feel perfect, not only very good:

• Widescreen support for graphics (TITLEPIC, etc; GZDoom 4.4 can do that, check my Austerity and TCotD1 remakes to see how it works, it's a new flag)
  • Replace all the remaining Doom assets (like textures, switches, lamps) with original stuff that fits the comic style of Jazz Jackrabbit (lights, computers, etc; I always have the feeling that it is out of place and I think this can be done easily, like the book shelf texture in MAP01 that is already more fitting)
  • The projectiles hitting the enemys from your gun don't make a death (impact) sound, feels like something's missing.
  • Hud sizes smaller than 10 show the Doom 2 texture border, this could be replaced as well
  • SMALLFONT and BIGFONT in the normal menu is still original Doom stuff, this could also be improved by using the fonts you already have for the tc.
  • Working with dynamic lights in GZDoom (as well as fog, colored light) could heavily improve the atmosphere, some places would benefit a lot from these next-gen features (e.g. blue-tinted light in the fridge in MAP02)
  • When it comes to map design, the later levels feel much better, much more in common with their 2d counterpart.
  • In MAP19 I'd suggest changing the fog to a color like #8B0A3F that fits the sky, or changing the sky to something that fits the yellowish fog better. Currently it looks very wrong.
  • Infighting should be deactivated completely. I don't remember seeing turtles infighting in the 2d original :)
  • The the-final battle against Devan is a bit frustrating as the teleporting (use original sprites for the teleport-fog) is not predictable at all, it's more like try-and-error. Maybe you can improve this to make the battle more interesting.
  • The real final battle would benefit from a health bar of the boss actor.
  • The ending sequence provides an error "D_ENDING" not found, grpahics are also not widescreen friendly.

It's a solid work man, but you can turn it into a perfect product with some further work - so keep it up :)

1 hour ago, Tormentor667 said:
  • Widescreen support for graphics (TITLEPIC, etc; GZDoom 4.4 can do that, check my Austerity and TCotD1 remakes to see how it works, it's a new flag)
  • SMALLFONT and BIGFONT in the normal menu is still original Doom stuff.
  • The ending sequence provides an error "D_ENDING" not found.
  • Regarding the graphics for the Title screen, intermission and such, those ones are on me, because I made these with 4:3 in mind (I used majority of OG assets, which are 320x200), because I didn't know about GZD getting proper 16:9 support for these graphics. The animated intermission shouldn't be hard to do, I think and I'll do the same for the new pic for the text screen after 'Battlefield',
  • I think I could replace the small font used in the options with the small font from Jazz 1.
  • I have the music files on my drive, including this one, but I also have plans to try and expand the ending, with proper credits for everyone involved and such.
  • I also have some personal updates of my own in works for the projects, like making sure you don't sequence break most maps (Medivo & Crysilis for example), fixed offsets, return of the jump sprites with removal of color range (color range screws up Jazz's colors) and so on, but given the fact I am still busy with school (thank god my classification is getting closed off by the end of the month), I haven't had time to send these to him, but I will try, once I have more fixes ready.

Jazz Jackrabbit Doom Update:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/jazz-jackrabbit-doom-tc/downloads/jazz-jackrabbit-doom-v92#downloadsform

• Added a few more easter eggs.
  • Fixed a jump pad on map05.
  • Added more ammo and powerups in the final boss level.
  • Ammo amount has been raised.
  • Some enemies attack percentage was raised.
  • Fixed an area in map03 where player might get stuck.
  • I added a screen color change to Invulnerability Power Up.
  • Rocket sprites were backwards some how, so I fixed em.
  • I removed the mugshot in the larger stats SBarInfo.

@Tormentor667 thank you for the feedback. I've been busy with Corridor 666, that I didn't get check out any feedback from here.

I will work what you mentioned. :)

Edited by Bass Slapper '89

I changed the Doom textures in the first 2 maps where they were used the most.

I also swapped the Doom light obstacles with Jazz Jackrabbit graphics. It made a big difference. ;)

2B8f3j9.png

8YLazIn.png

zUujEIk.png

Update:

• I added alert and attack sounds to enemies.
  • Added a death sounds to projectiles.

Not a lot I did but it does make a difference. The sounds were from Jazz Jackrabbit 2.

Update:

• All weapons ammo pool were increased.
  • Railgun has a zoom in feature. ;)
  • Some of the enemies HP were lowered.
  • Changed the Textures in Map16.

issjeqO.png

bsNcq7b.png

Just done a playthrough, I absolutely love it, I will say it does feel unpolished in some spots, but honestly, I thought it was great. I love how faithful Tubelectric's stage was to the original, and the Hocus Pocus reference is brilliant.

On 5/30/2020 at 2:04 PM, Salahmander2 said:

Just done a playthrough, I absolutely love it, I will say it does feel unpolished in some spots, but honestly, I thought it was great. I love how faithful Tubelectric's stage was to the original, and the Hocus Pocus reference is brilliant.

I am glad you loved it! Yes I agree, there are spots that need to be looked upon for sure.

I have a few things changed or added like you've seen in my recent posts. There's a few things that need to be added, which I am in no rush at the moment.

There's one thing I want learn and that is adding a boss health bar.

@Tormentor667 I checked out the Austerity mainly to check out this step you mentioned

• Widescreen support for graphics (TITLEPIC, etc; GZDoom 4.4 can do that, check my Austerity and TCotD1 remakes to see how it works, it's a new flag)

I have to mention this, it was fun to play. I like the taste in music choices. Material from OMF 2097 and Epic Pinball! The gameplay was a fun challenge. Great job!

I need some help with certain things you pointed out. There's some things I need help with. Thank you in advance.

• Small font and big font? How do I go by that?
  • Hud sizes smaller than 10 show the Doom 2 texture border, this could be replaced as well. -  Is this where you are viewing the map?

This is all I can think of at the moment that I have questions on.

Regarding your questions, what are the issues with what I've written regarding the fonts and also the texture border? (the latter, yes it's when viewing the auto map but also when decreasing the screen size, when the hud sizes are smaller)

15 hours ago, Tormentor667 said:

Regarding your questions, what are the issues with what I've written regarding the fonts and also the texture border? (the latter, yes it's when viewing the auto map but also when decreasing the screen size, when the hud sizes are smaller)

Do I need a separate lump for the automap? Or through the sbarinfo?

Edit: Lol, I figured it out.

Edited by Bass Slapper '89

15 hours ago, Tormentor667 said:

Much better. Did you know that you can define colors for the automap in GZDoom? :)

Thank you bro. Yeah I know, it rarely comes to mind for me to make color adjustments. lol

I rarely use the automap unless I'm lost. lol

Fun fact. :p

I won't be able to mod for awhile. My work from home computer is on the fritz, so I had to swap with my personal computer.

Hopefully I'll get my work computer fixed soon. It's been a few days but I miss modding...

😞😞😞

Hi everyone! I got my work computer repaired on my own. It just needed updates.

Now, I can work on my mods again, YAY! :)

So, I worked on Jazz Jackrabbit Doom some more. I added an alternate fire to the Freeze Rifle (Frostbiter).

You can still freeze the enemies.You can also use the alt fire will shoot out an ice shard to shatter the enemies, without having to switch to another weapon.

I'm sure that was a feature that needed to be there. ;)

YxgH8aR.png

Enjoying this so far, though I wish the regular/non-fullscreen HUD also showed your weapon's ammo.

On 7/22/2020 at 6:58 AM, InDOOMnesia said:

Enjoying this so far, though I wish the regular/non-fullscreen HUD also showed your weapon's ammo.

Sorry for the late response. I've been busy and had to get a new personal computer.

Glad you're enjoying it. I'll see what I can do about that.

It is currently getting a polish and new maps added I'm at the moment. A new version will be posted June of 2021.

Hello, Doom Slayers!

Hope all is well.

So I am back at it again with Jazz Jackrabbit Doom!!!

@Salahmander2 and myself are currently polishing up the mod and adding new maps for your turtle slaying pleasure! 🤣

We are gonna release the new version around June of 2021! In the meantime, be safe and well.