Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Can't play on Nightmare

Can you play Doom 2 on Nightmare?

Never bothered.

Quake on Nightmare is totally different. It keeps the spawns from Hard, but ups the enemy attack rate and makes them harder to stun. (The entrance is also hidden in a secret rather than selectable from a menu.) I don't usually play Quake maps on Nightmare, but sometimes I'll do so for an extra challenge if I consider a particular map too easy on Hard. I would never do that with a Doom map.

37 minutes ago, Lane Powell said:

Never bothered.

Quake on Nightmare is totally different. It keeps the spawns from Hard, but ups the enemy attack rate and makes them harder to stun. (The entrance is also hidden in a secret rather than selectable from a menu.) I don't usually play Quake maps on Nightmare, but sometimes I'll do so for an extra challenge if I consider a particular map too easy on Hard. I would never do that with a Doom map.

Heretic's and Hexen's 5th difficulty is a Nightmare without enemies coming back to life. They attack fast but dont come back to life. If Doom's Nightmare had been like that, it would be manageable. I can finish Heretic on 5th difficulty since enemies dont come back to life after they die :D

Edited by Can't play on Nightmare

I finished Doom 2 on Nightmare once (it was a continuous playthrough), though that was with GZDoom and infinitely tall actors were disabled, still no jumping or freelook. I set a rule on myself to only save from the beginning of the level, so no quicksaving every 5 seconds.

I could do it again on something like PrBoom+ (-complevel 2) or Chocolate Doom, but I haven't done all levels from a pistol start and I don't think I am brave (and skilled) enough to do a single run without dying. MAP22 oddly took longer than MAP09 and MAP29 combined for me if I can remember.

I passed the level 3 for the first time in my life today but I am stuck in level 4 this time. These dudes with chainguns piss me off.

I replay the same save more than 20 times and I die in 2 seconds. It looks like I will replay the same save more than 100 times.

I play Doom 2 on Nightmare like I play it on Ultra Violence because When I speedrun, I die in no time. I can't keep going further at all by speedrunning. Not at all.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:28 PM, axdoomer said:

I was only able to complete the episode 1 of Doom 1 on nightmare. I think the rest is too hard because you have to abuse the "save game" and "load game". In episode 2, E2M3 is hard to go through and I can't remember about episode 3. The first level of episode 4 is very hard on nightmare.

I think the farthest that I got in Doom 2 without loading and saving was level 5.

I prefer playing on Ultra-Violence with fast monsters. When the monsters respawn, it makes it the hardest because you can't take your time to complete a level.

Episode 3 should be the easiest of the bunch on Nightmare in Doom. All of the levels are wide open so it's pretty easy to avoid enemies. Several of the levels have Invincibility Spheres as well so if you can get them you and run you can finish the level while Invincible. Even E3M7 the map is large but with so few monsters (30something not counting Lost Souls).

For episode 2, I remember getting the Plasma Gun early on and just blasting through the levels with it. The double ammo really comes in handy here as you'll have plenty of plasma cells to get through the levels, provided you make the pitstops for ammo.

The only issue I remember on Nightmare is that if you saved your game, quit, and then reloaded the game at some point, the monsters would lose their fast attribute, so I'd do the Nightmare runs in one sitting.

On 12/13/2018 at 1:30 PM, Can't play on Nightmare said:

How can I even try Ultra Violence with fast enemies? There is no such difficulty level in the game. After  regular Ultra Violence, comes Nightmare in the game?  Is it a diffrent version of Doom games? There is no such difficulty level in normal Doom games.

https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Parameter

This should help you. Playing on UV with the -fast parameter is like NM, but without the respawning or getting shot at immediately. Quite fun actually.

I really should try to play on NM more. I've only just gotten back into Doom recently though. Played it as a kid but not on a serious level. Just kinda dicked around.

Edited by NerdyButLazy

OK I've bee looking for an excuse to ask this an this thread is a good a place as any: Seeing as doom is a game where you can save anywhere and can be played with a number mods and source ports, what conditions would you put on any player wanting to brag that they've finished Doom on nightmare? No brutal doom? Strictly vanilla? No saving? only saving once per map?

32 minutes ago, Captain red pants said:

OK I've bee looking for an excuse to ask this an this thread is a good a place as any: Seeing as doom is a game where you can save anywhere and can be played with a number mods and source ports, what conditions would you put on any player wanting to brag that they've finished Doom on nightmare? No brutal doom? Strictly vanilla? No saving? only saving once per map?

Brutal Doom is a little easier because of the lack of hitscan, IMO. You can basically bob and weave through every level. Still a great mod in its own regard. I've been trying to save once per map.

Beating NM in any way at all is a feat. It's all about improvement though.

7 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

I replay the same save more than 20 times and I die in 2 seconds. It looks like I will replay the same save more than 100 times.

I play Doom 2 on Nightmare like I play it on Ultra Violence because When I speedrun, I die in no time. I can't keep going further at all by speedrunning. Not at all.

Well you already know the problem. Unless you are willing to speedrun many maps will drain all your health and ammo. Saving will help but you will barely improve if you are just save spam brute forcing nightmare.

You don't have to speedrun as quickly as zeromaster btw. His vids don't show all the deaths, hundreds of marines were harmed in the making of those runs. Try beating UV with -fast then with -respawn; Smooth that difficulty curve.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:30 PM, Can't play on Nightmare said:

How can I even try Ultra Violence with fast enemies? There is no such difficulty level in the game. After  regular Ultra Violence, comes Nightmare in the game?  Is it a diffrent version of Doom games? There is no such difficulty level in normal Doom games.

Read this to get a better idea of what people are talking about. https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Parameter

Shortcut to the -fast part (but read the top of the page of the previous link first): https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Parameter#-fast

I finished Doom 2 on UV-Fast. It was fun.

In terms of difficulty, I would say UV Fast is closer to UV than Nightmare.

Everything is cool when enemies dont come back to life seconds after they are killed. This is what makes Nightmare unplayable.

I also finished all 5 episodes of Heretic in the hardest difficulty, which is like UV Fast except 50 percent more ammos.

2 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

This is what makes Nightmare unplayable.

Good God, this guy was trolling Doomworld already back in 2018.

1 hour ago, dr_st said:

Good God, this guy was trolling Doomworld already back in 2018.

I finished all 4 episodes of Doom and also Doom 2 on UV Fast.

In terms of difficulty, UV Fast is closer to UV than Nightmare.

Enemies that come to life seconds after they are killed make it unplayable.

22 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Enemies that come to life seconds after they are killed make it unplayable.

Did you deliberately or just accidentally skip over Edward's link to a full Plutonia playthrough on Nightmare...? It's not unplayable, it's just masochistic. 

15 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Did you deliberately or just accidentally skip over Edward's link to a full Plutonia playthrough on Nightmare...? It's not unplayable, it's just masochistic. 

Those are exceptional players, aren't they?

Zero Master, for example, does strange tricks in Doom 2 like what he did in level 2 and level 4 on his nightmare videos. I tried them all but nothing he did happened when I myself played. I tried too many times. Those didnt happen.

As a person who plays on UV Fast, I still see myself better than average. But Final Doom is hard. I speak for Ultimate Doom and Doom 2.

Did you finish Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 on Nightmare yourself?

17 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Those are exceptional players, aren't they?

That's probably a fair characteristic of them, yeah. Nightmare is for exceptional players ;D

Which I am not. So I don't play Nightmare. Boom, easy. 

I want to ask something.

In GZDoom, Fast Monster mode yes or no does anything for the game when the difficulty is Nightmare?

If you choose Fast Monsters with Nightmare, does anything change in the game like monsters being more faster in Nightmare? Nightmare is already fast so does it make enemies any faster when fast monster mode was yes?

2 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Zero Master, for example, does strange tricks in Doom 2 like what he did in level 2 and level 4 on his nightmare videos. I tried them all but nothing he did happened when I myself played. I tried too many times. Those didnt happen.

He's speed running. Glides aren't necessary for completing nightmare, he's just doing the level quickly. 

50 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

If you choose Fast Monsters with Nightmare, does anything change in the game like monsters being more faster in Nightmare? Nightmare is already fast so does it make enemies any faster when fast monster mode was yes?

No, I don't believe so.

4 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Did you finish Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 on Nightmare yourself?

Nightmare is a troll difficulty, nobody but speedrunners play on them seriously or casually.

Also, Final Doom is NOT hard, there are DIFFICULTY SETTINGS.

One of Plutonia's creators said despite the strict development timeframe (about 4 months), they still balance difficulties and make UV/Nightmare as hard as possible, so they don't give a shit if an UV player complain the WAD being too hard.

And TNT is absolutely not hard at all, they are more leaned on exploration and adventure.

I see you like playing on UV -fast. Did you know that you can also apply -fast to HMP, HNTR and even ITYTD itself? You might be able to beat Plutonia that way while still claiming yourself to be a decent player.

For example, you apply the following launch commands before playing Doom on HMP -fast: 

-fast -skill 3

How many threads about doom's difficulty do we need?

Can't Play on Nightmare is on a quest to ensure the entire world knows that indeed, Nightmare is too hard for him and that He Cannot Play on Nightmare.

It's getting a little tiring tbh

8 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Nightmare is a troll difficulty, nobody but speedrunners play on them seriously or casually.

Also, Final Doom is NOT hard, there are DIFFICULTY SETTINGS.

One of Plutonia's creators said despite the strict development timeframe (about 4 months), they still balance difficulties and make UV/Nightmare as hard as possible, so they don't give a shit if an UV player complain the WAD being too hard.

And TNT is absolutely not hard at all, they are more leaned on exploration and adventure.

I see you like playing on UV -fast. Did you know that you can also apply -fast to HMP, HNTR and even ITYTD itself? You might be able to beat Plutonia that way while still claiming yourself to be a decent player.

For example, you apply the following launch commands before playing Doom on HMP -fast: 

-fast -skill 3

Play Final Doom on UV and play Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 on UV. Then speak.

Final Doom is hard.

Does Fast mode does anythibg in Nighmare for GZDoom?

10 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

So fast mode doesnt do anything in the game when on Nightmare (GZDoom)?

Fast mode does the exact same thing as Nightmare does to enemy speeds, and thus by extension doesn't do anything in Nightmare. Though only speeds, -fast does not change initial reaction times.

3 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Play Final Doom on UV and play Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 on UV. Then speak.

Final Doom is hard.

It is, yes, not when you have memorized the layouts and actually willing to drop down at least 1 difficulty; and play with the right equipments. Plutonia on HMP is comparable to Doom 2's UV.

I have completed Plutonia on UV, fyi; with big thanks to an useful invention people called mouse.

8 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

It is, yes, not when you have memorized the layouts and actually willing to drop down at least 1 difficulty. Plutonia on HMP is comparable to Doom 2's UV.

I have completed Plutonia on UV, fyi.

To be honest,

Plutonia on I am too young to die difficulty feels like Doom 2 on Ultra Violence difficulty to me.

But Doom 2 should be played on UV Fast anyway. It is a lot easier game than Final Doom. Even its level 30, it was still easy on UV Fast.

7 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Plutonia on I am too young to die feels like Doom 2 on Ultra Violence to me.

That's because you are resistant to change. As shown in other posts of yours, you are not willing to let go your keyboard-only gameplay  - even some skilled players found a keyboard as a painful way of beating most new levels nowadays.

If you are going to ask "why is keyboard not good" in Plutonia:

Plutonia is known for its excessive spam of chaingunners, revenants and archviles.  These monsters fight you with hard-to-dodge attacks (homing fireballs, instant to target bullets), which may cause trouble to keyboard players due to its slow/uncontrollable turning. With mouse, you have more freedom of dodging those attacks. 

If you are not used to playing with mouse, well, you have to, if you want to beat Nightmare. Trust me, you shouldn't try playing Final Doom with keyboard until you are more skilled.