Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
digithead100

Do you like Doom platforming?

Light platforming is a nice addition in classic Doom.

In Doom Eternal it's a truly great part of the game, apparently inspired by the game Deadcore, which I've finished.

I'm neutral towards it. I've seen platforming sections in maps and games I like, and I've seen platforming I utterly hate.

If it's done right, it's fun.

I have no issues with platforming, unless they are almost pixel perfect super tight jumps.

16 hours ago, lazy91geek said:

What makes that more appealing than WASD + mouse?

It just came natural to me to use the numeric keypad for movement because I'm right-handed, and also because I started playing Doom on a Mac. The Mac version of Doom made it easy to play that way.

I plan to buy a half-keyboard pretty soon so I can use WASD with my right hand and the mouse with my left. I don't plan on keyboarding forever. ;)

Every time I run through some small bridges or edges, I fell like Mario and its super annoying.

I have ptsd from The Chasm.

I like it in reasonable doses and it can make for a nice change of pace.

Unless it is too long and overly strict as in "You make a single mistake and have to go to the beginning", I am fine with it.

Ever since I got a mechanical keyboard which also allowed me to also SR50 to the left, I haven't encountered a platforming segment that made me quit or annoyed.

Platforming is fine and can be a lot of fun when implemented correctly. HOWEVER, there are three major types of mapping transgressions for which Doom level designers deserve a slap in the face:

1) Place an obligatory tricky platforming section smack dab in the middle or towards the end of a huge map with inescapable pits.

2) Make it impossible to progress further in the map without SR50.

3) Make a platforming section with a crap ton of infinitely tall demons running amok somewhere at the bottom - assuming you can't kill them somehow first.

As far as secrets are concerned, anything goes as long as it's possible. It makes perfect sense to make the player work hard for whatever goodies await them after pulling off some crazy parkouring.

22 hours ago, TheLoneliness said:

I personally dislike all and any platforming in any game, just not my jam.

Yeah man, it really ruined Super Mario Bros.

Yes, I think platforming in Doom is very fun to do. It mixes up the gameplay loop and provides a player with a different type of challenge than usual.

Though I'm not a fan of difficult platforming combined with many monsters attacking you at once. Like this has always been one of my least favorite rooms of Stardate:

12 hours ago, Steve D said:

It just came natural to me to use the numeric keypad for movement because I'm right-handed, and also because I started playing Doom on a Mac. The Mac version of Doom made it easy to play that way.

I plan to buy a half-keyboard pretty soon so I can use WASD with my right hand and the mouse with my left. I don't plan on keyboarding forever. ;)

Doesn't that make you "left-handed". Most folks are right-handed and they play with mouse on right hand and use WASD keys from left hand.

i was hoping there'd be a Precarious-inspired scaffold-fu map by now
instead of super-tough platforming between arenas A and B, have multiple, more-forgiving platforming routes during fights with arachnotrons and cyberdemons
and if you fall off you lost

can someone recommend a map like that??

platforming is really cool
it's one of the dependable elements of doom which turns braggarts into whiners on the spot lol

Some platforming is good, my only gripe with that specific part of Optical Hopscotch is you can only try it once, sure it's optional and a secret, but still feels bad to lose something because you messed up. That being said that section is not very hard, so just the right amount of platforming works good.

Platforming works best in optional areas or when it feels natural and not a puzzle.

4 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Doesn't that make you "left-handed". Most folks are right-handed and they play with mouse on right hand and use WASD keys from left hand.

Ah, but here's the thing -- I don't use the mouse. Therefore, the natural thing for me to do back in 1995 was use my skilled hand for movement on the numeric keypad, as opposed to using my unskilled left hand for WASD. I got along fine, got better, play and make difficult maps, but I do come a cropper with slaughter and with modern shooters where you have to fire at things above and below you, although I keyboarded my way through Unreal, the Quakes, Half-Life, RTCW and a few more without much trouble.

The only thing I use my left hand for is shooting, and I use the 'A' key for that. So when I start using the mouse, I'll do it backwards from most people, and keep my skilled hand on the keyboard while mousing with my left.

When speaking of the concept itself, yes, I like seeing creative ideas in maps so things like dynamic platforming or some funny gimmicks involved are for sure going to amuse me. One of my favourites is exactly what rdwpa showed above, that combination of hazards, strict timing and fluidity between sub-segment inspired me to make a segment dedicated to it for Interception 2 that is on my skill level (relatively low difficulty next to harder examples in Dimensions or TOTG) while it keeps some mild movement-check challenge on it. 

On another side, there is no RNG in pure platforming that doesn't involve monsters, so that alone can make it for a complete change of pace.

8 hours ago, Jayextee said:

Yeah man, it really ruined Super Mario Bros.

I didn't enjoy any Mario game I played, doesn't mean they were bad, but as stated in the post you quoted; just not my jam.

Heck, I remember when the platforming in the secret stash room of E1M9 felt difficult.

Just now, dr_st said:

Heck, I remember when the platforming in the secret stash room of E1M9 felt difficult.

Haha, yeah. Nowaways, I most definitely never screw up any of those jumps anymore.

Yeah, I even made a mod :) (shameless plug) as you long as you don't go overboard, it's not janky, doesn't have excessive backtracking for failing jumps and isn't so repetitive, it's fun.

Also worth checking out Mirror's Edge, Titanfall, Dying Light and Ghostrunner if you like First-person platforming.

Edited by sluggard

On 6/15/2020 at 5:32 PM, Steve D said:

The only thing I use my left hand for is shooting, and I use the 'A' key for that. So when I start using the mouse, I'll do it backwards from most people, and keep my skilled hand on the keyboard while mousing with my left.

Why not use the usual - arrow keys for movement and ALT, CTRL, SHIFT strafing, shooting and running? What made you pick numerical keyboard over arrow keys? More comfortable hand layout or something else?

On 6/15/2020 at 4:46 PM, 4shockblast said:

Yes, especially if the platforming is timed, involves strafe50, and requires rocket jumps and archvile jumps

I don't mind Arch-Vile jumps but it has to be obvious you are supposed to do one. Nothing like killing an Arch-Vile, saving the game and only later finding out he was needed for a secret :/

Perfect SR50 are pretty annoying, much better if there is at least a slight tolerance.

Timed is OK if it's not a once only thing. As in "You miss it, bye bye Supercharge".

And Rocket jumps are so rare I don't much care :D

But all at once? No thanks.

@idbeholdME

I'm also one of those who prefer the numpad and not the arrow keys for movement in games most of the time. I guess it's because in some of the first games I played, I would also use Pad5 and Pad0 for actions. In some other games I use the Ins/Del/Home/End/Pgup/Pgdn keys for actions, and it really would not be convenient to use the normal arrows together with those, as they are directly one above the other.

Post more videos of Doom platforming as long isn't a gimmicky level (like 100% platforming focused) :x

Awesome video! :D

About the gimmicky thing, I'm just curious to see some mix of platforming with combat haha

Edited by Deadwing

On 6/19/2020 at 5:43 AM, Nine Inch Heels said:

Why not? :P

...the heck have I just seen!?