Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

I was 6 or 7. Old enough to understand and enjoy the game, not old enough to avoid crying when I got to the Tower of Babel.

There was no computer in our home until late 1996, so I started with The Settlers II, GODS, Quake and DN3D instead. All pirated, of course. But at that time I had no idea what it meant. Doom was skipped entirely. I remember downloading it from some shady site in either 2000 or 2001 and running like ass with stuttering, low quality audio.

Edit: Oh yeah, I was 10 at the time.

Edited by SuperchargedEuthanasiaDiv

I was like 8 or 9. I dunno. I played the Gba port on a old Pc.

(I actually grew up with the PlayStation/N64 Era, I never had a actual GBA)

Edited by HitBoi64

2 hours ago, smeghammer said:

Up, up...

I'm 51. Started in early my 20's when it first came out... Probably many more who first played as teenager/early twenties who are now fifty-something :-)

Up a bit more.

54. So yeah I was 27 or something. Too lazy to do the math.

In the old days we had to walk 7 miles just to get to play. ;)

Probably about 4 years old and in the era where Doom 2 was still considered somewhat cutting edge. I was a lucky kid since my dad owned multiple 486 computers and didn't mind my brother and I playing games on them, even violent stuff like wolf, doom, duke, etc.

I was 6 when Doom came out, so 6 - I also turned out fine and still play to this day. Thanks Mom and Dad! Damn if I don't miss the 90s and that era of PC/PSX gaming though. It was a great time to be alive.

My fist thoughts about it:

The walls where tall... you moved fast.  Seeing a game when you where a kid seems better then seeing it when you are old, it just brings better feelings about the game. 

If my parents are to be believed, I was about 18 months old when I clacked some random keys on my father's computer and somehow bumbled my way into loading up Doom, starting a new game, then promptly doing absolutely nothing, and probably shit myself or something, because I was an infant. That would technically be the first time I played Doom, but my first time playing and actually being cognizant of the fact I was playing a game, and actually making progress? Probably about 2nd grade.

Probably 14 or 15 when doom 2 was out, my memory isn't what it used to be.

There are actually more younger members here than I would expect.

I started about 3 years ago, when I was 17-18 years old. My first experience of Doom was through Ultimate Doom running on Doom95. Looking back at it now it's awefull and due to the very outdated mouse protocols of doom95 I could only play with keyboard (never finding out that "," and "." strafed so I played with alt). One of the very few shooters I had ever played and the very first one on pc... It was like nothing else. I got hooked by the fast and simple gameplay of it and loved episode 1.

I was 6. My father bought a copy of Doom, i used to watch him play. That was 1995. Since then, i've been obsessed with this game.

When I started I was running around with iddqd and idkfa supplied by my uncle at around the age of 6. Im turning 19 this year so I started playing the classics pretty late.

I was 6 too. My old man had the shareware version of Doom 1 on a Floppy disk, so this would've been in 1996. He got the full-version of Doom 2 from a shop a year or so later.