Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TenenteZashu

Thoughts about the Slayers Club?

I just wanted to hear the community's point of view on the Slayer's Club,

tbh i think that it's idea isn't that bad if it wasn't for the fact that it's pretty much abandoned by bethesda (yeah they added some new articles, i know) and gaining points to unlock skins like the 25th anniversary slayer or the imperial marauder is just tedious as hell

Don't care about it, don't need it. The real club is the one we are all already members of: Classic Doomers.

The writers are cool and I like their articles, especially their attention to classic Doom, even if there are occasional gaping holes.  This is the place for the meaty classic conversation and projects though.   The writers might have just been on vacation for a while because there's now a sudden string of articles day after day.   I still don't have much interest in Battle mode though.

It updates too slowly sometimes. The screenshots/concept-arts/wallpapers sections has been untouched for ages. Sometimes news articles come out everyday or sometimes they take a week. The completed final monthly challenge for Doom 2016 is still up there for some reason. The "share up to three articles a day" limit is also unnecessary.

Some of the articles are nice, like interviews with featured mappers. I also like the fan art page, there are some great pieces there that you can find. I appreciate the inclusion of "secret" articles that are hidden when normally viewing. The avatar creator is amusing but lacks some features (for example, there's no ability to create a female avatar).

It also feels like a missed opportunity to not include information/pages for the other Doom games in the series. They could also go much more with just Eternal, for example including a bestiary of all enemies found in the game or an armory of all the weapons. Currently, it's more of a news machine than a place of Doom.

5 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

It's that level in Plutonia that's kinda like Circle Of Death, right?

More like "'O' of Destruction!". :)

Is everyone aware that you don't actually have to share stuff to get the points?  Just clicking the share links gives the 5 points each and you don't actually have to post them anywhere.   I'm all caught on "sharing" every article plus media.   At over 9400 points it's going to be slow going now to 11000 for the Imperial Marauder and 13000 for the Silver Slayer though.

I'm not interested in Doom's multiplayer and I believe the Slayer club is heavily focused around its online community and rewards. I joined it, I like to unlock some skins for single player but it's a low priority.

If they had Snapmap in Eternal, it would be a different story.

Edited by Chezza

I only use slayers club for the skins in eternal because im a completionist and sometimes for the news. But If I want a true sense of community then I come here from time to time. Most of the news is garbage anyway, mostly stuff about old wads that we already played or about that abomination that people call "battle mode" that believe it or not some folks actually only got the game for.

On 6/19/2020 at 11:19 PM, The MemeMind said:

We are the classic fans

They are the New age fans 

Straight facts. The new age doom community does not have that same magic as this one.

I got a free doom shirt and a lithograph because of it, so that was cool i guess, other than that i don't care much for it, except for when they release interviews for the mods they're adding to the official port

what is a slayer club? is that some sort of cult? 

Actually, I had to search it up. this is my reaction to some of it's amazing writing. 

Join the Slayers Club today and help celebrate DOOM's 25th Anniversary with the most pas.

right, 2020-1993=25. yep!

Create a FREE Slayers Club account and join the first official DOOM fan club. The club will provide unique benefits, exclusive opportunities, and bring the best of DOOM to the best fans in the world.

The First official DOOM fan club? Seriously, like it compares to Doomworld in it being official, and Doomworld not! 

MARCH COMMUNITY CHALLENGE

seriously, you can't update it so a challenge from 3 months ago doesn't appear. 

on a scale of 1-10, I say it is a 4.3 

I don't look at it so much as a "fan club" is more of a simple marketing move by... Bethesda. It doesn't have the high activity and the interface of the page itself it doesn't promote you to interact with the community, on the contrary, it promotes you to get the " points" to unlock the skins in Eternal and then say goodbye.

Of course there's lots of marketing BS, but for funny and good articles check out stuff like the ones about Double Impact where they photoshopped the Doomguy's head onto Van Damme's body.   It's not Doomworld but there's some good stuff.

Dumb. And the fact that they force you to register to give you stuff in Doom Eternal is even dumber.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:20 AM, LiT_gam3r said:

The First official DOOM fan club? Seriously, like it compares to Doomworld in it being official, and Doomworld not! 

Official in a sense that it's a fanclub hosted by Beth, and Doomworld isn't

Actually, I had to search it up. this is my reaction to some of it's amazing writing. 

right, 2020-1993=25. yep!

while 2020-1993 equals 27, considering how birthday works, Doom is currently 26 until December 10th this year. They did launch Slayer's Club when it was properly 25 (December 10th 2018) and didn't bother to update, at least I believe until it's 30.

seriously, you can't update it so a challenge from 3 months ago doesn't appear. 

Community challenges stopped running when Eternal went live.

5 hours ago, ZeroTheEro said:

Official in a sense that it's a fanclub hosted by Beth, and Doomworld isn't

but what they are trying to do is get people to think that it is the first ever fanclub, without actually lying. it's the same thing as those Trident gum commercials or a gum company commercial where it says 4/5 dentists who say you should chew gum, say you should chew Trident, which seems like 4/5 dentists say that you should chew Trident, but it is saying that out of those very very few dentists who say you should chew gum, tell you to chew trident. 

while 2020-1993 equals 27, considering how birthday works, Doom is currently 26 until December 10th this year. They did launch Slayer's Club when it was properly 25 (December 10th 2018) and didn't bother to update, at least I believe until it's 30.

I get that it is 26, but it would take 13 seconds to simply add this

Community challenges stopped running when Eternal went live.

similar to my last point, it would take 13 seconds to delete this. 

I was just pointing out that the Slayers Club is silly when it comes to updates and being the best. 

41 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

but what they are trying to do is get people to think that it is the first ever fanclub, without actually lying. it's the same thing as those Trident gum commercials or a gum company commercial where it says 4/5 dentists who say you should chew gum, say you should chew Trident, which seems like 4/5 dentists say that you should chew Trident, but it is saying that out of those very very few dentists who say you should chew gum, tell you to chew trident. 

No need to post analogies that don't make sense tbh.

@ZeroTheEro It's my writing style. I usually post analogies, it helps me and I hope other people to understand what I'm saying. But, I don't think what I wrote doesn't make sense, it's pretty straight forward. I was saying that they gave you facts that you would misunderstand, even though the information given was 100% true. 

On 6/27/2020 at 9:49 PM, Marcinski said:

Straight facts. The new age doom community does not have that same magic as this one.

Gatekeeping and Elitism is exactly how a community grows and comes together.

Im not any better of a Doom fan by being in Doomworld instead of Slayer's Club. Straight Facts.

What do gatekeeping and elitism have to do with the fact that our community grew out of the Doom games and people who enjoyed them, and theirs is a hastily constructed facade of a community used to ride the DOOM™ gravy train?

I have no interest in this Slackers club. ;) I haven't even looked at it. At the end of the day, I just want to blast demons.

6 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Gatekeeping and Elitism is exactly how a community grows and comes together.

How's the weather there in Opposite Land?

2 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

What do gatekeeping and elitism have to do with the fact that our community grew out of the Doom games and people who enjoyed them, and theirs is a hastily constructed facade of a community used to ride the DOOM™ gravy train?

Because people who join the slayer's Club can't possibly be Fans of the Series right? Only Doomworld members are considered Real while others is just Fake bandwagon fans right?

Who gives a flying fuck how a community was constructed, Manufactured or not, its the members that make a community.

1 hour ago, Biodegradable said:

How's the weather there in Opposite Land?

Pretty good, lots of "facts" being thrown around here