Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rizera

The amazing "identify that Doom song" thread.

Any help for the following four tracks would be greatly appreciated (I am planning on using these in my WIP WAD, and having them credited would be ideal). Thanks! 

MIDIs.zip

EDIT: #1 is from the Doom Tribute Project

#2 is from Hellebarde

#3 is from 2048 Unleashed

#4 is from Demon Eclipse (though I feel this one existed for much longer).

Edited by TheV1perK1ller : More info.

I've been working on identifying all the tracks from Sacrament- not very easy, the text file only lists them vaguely rather than specifically-

"Music from:
                          Chaser (Game)
                          Vampires the Masquerade Bloodlines (Game)
                          Elfen Lied (Anime)
                          Angel Beats! (Anime)
                          Resident Evil 3 Nemesis (Game)
                          Lain - Serial Experiments (Anime)
                          Nightwish (Band)
                          Bond (Band) (+Interitus)
                          Atomine Elektrine (Performer)"

I managed to ID these with Youtube to listen to soundtrack samples, using Slade to export the music files(most are OGG format), with the internal file name noted-

Angel Beats - Enemy Country (D_RUNNIN)

Chaser - Jailhouse (D_THEDA2)

Chaser - Little Tokio (D_STALKS)

Chaser - Montack City & Gulag (D_DOOM)

Chaser - Ravi Vallis (Edit) (D_DEAD)

Elfen Lied - Yureai (D_DM2TTL)

Interitus - Explosive (D_DDTBLU)

Nightwish - Nemo (D_STLKS2) - the only MIDI in the set

Resident Evil 3 - Coldhearted Soldier (D_COUNTD)

VtM Bloodlines - The Prince's Dream (Unused) (D_READ_M)

no IDs yet on these-

D_BETWEE

D_DM2INT

D_DOOM2 - the one I wish to ID the most, it's the final level music. I want to say it's Atomine Elektrine as it matches the style but I could not find the exact song

D_IN_CIT

D_SHAWN

D_THE_DA

Any help on identifying this MIDI from LBDWANGO.WAD's MAP22 would be thankfully appreciated. I plan to use this MIDI for my WIP Deathmatch compilation PWAD. Thanks!

LBDWANGO_MAP22.zip

EDIT : Heheh, I beat myself to it, found it!

image.png.1037c6abd8efc743fc639bce594ce19e.png

Starfluxx by Mempheria (But it's modified by Gemstorm)

EDIT2 : With a quick research, this MIDI's earliest use for a Doom PWAD was in 1994 called "Cyberdeath" and also used in DWANGO5 (MAP11), possibly Unidoom DM 1 (MAP02) and such. The Gemstorm game from 1995 appears to have not used the original MIDIs according to the Youtube comment from Whyareall (aka Whyareall2)

There's also a module around in Nov. 1999 called 'Starfluxx' at the ModArchive which was 5 years ago after G1 came out.

Edited by Baratus II : Found it!

On 5/18/2019 at 8:07 AM, diosoth said:

I've been working on identifying all the tracks from Sacrament- not very easy, the text file only lists them vaguely rather than specifically-

D_BETWEE

D_DM2INT

D_DOOM2 - the one I wish to ID the most, it's the final level music. I want to say it's Atomine Elektrine as it matches the style but I could not find the exact song

D_IN_CIT

D_SHAWN

D_THE_DA

D_DM2INT -  Chaser game soundtrack - 16.Portland & Anadyr

D_BETWEE -Unreal 1995 Tech Demo - UNREAL.S3M 

D_IN_CIT  - Unreal Gold Soundtrack - SETI

D_SHAWN - serial experiments lain ost - Lain's theme  

D_THE_DA - Resident Evil 3 Soundtrack: Nemesis Final Metamorphosis

On 5/25/2019 at 10:26 AM, Сhaingunner said:

D_DM2INT -  Chaser game soundtrack - 16.Portland & Anadyr 

Thanks for these

This one I missed as Sacrament uses a trimmed segment of only a few seconds, rather than the full song.

Slaughterfest 2012 map 25- Fourtress. The text file does not name it, but I think I've heard it use din other map projects before.

On 12/9/2015 at 8:17 AM, gaspe said:

Music of Killing Adventure?
So far I recognized only these few more popular tracks:
-MAP06 : Final Fantasy VI - Boss Theme
-MAP07 : Final Fantasy VI - Battle Theme
-MAP08 : Chrono Trigger - Battle Theme
-MAP15 : a remix of Super Mario Invulnerability Theme
-MAP18 : Final Fantasy III - The Invincible

MAP15 is actually Metallic Mario from Super Mario 64. Here are some new ones i recognized.

-MAP05: Killer Instinct - Cinder's Theme

-MAP23: Resident Evil Code Veronica - The Theme of Alexia Type 2

-MAP29: Jurassic Park (Sega Genesis) - Visitor's Center

Not sure if these have been answered but i looked through the replies and seen none.

Two songs in Don't Be A Bitch Remastered remain unidentified, the map11 music and the title screen music. Does anyone recognize them?

dbab-music.zip

On 4/5/2019 at 3:43 AM, TheV1perK1ller said:

Any help for the following four tracks would be greatly appreciated (I am planning on using these in my WIP WAD, and having them credited would be ideal). Thanks! 

MIDIs.zip

I think #2 might be a song by the band "Blind Guardian" (the names of the MIDI tracks include the names "Marcus", "Andre", "Hansi" and "Thomen", fitting the names of the band members.)

Edited by JudgeDeadd

7 hours ago, JudgeDeadd said:

I think #2 might be a song by the band "Blind Guardian" (the names of the MIDI tracks include the names "Marcus", "Andre", "Hansi" and "Thomen", fitting the names of the band members.)

Thanks! You were right, the track was indeed by them with their song, "Time, What is Time".

10 hours ago, JudgeDeadd said:

Two songs in Don't Be A Bitch Remastered remain unidentified, the map11 music and the title screen music. Does anyone recognize them? 

The title screen music is a modified version of un31.mid from the Doom unreleased midis, which in turn is based off of "Rusty Cage" by Soundgarden. The other song I've heard before in Mega Trickster's Mistake, but upon checking that wad, the midi there has no useful metadata, only that it was converted with DeePsea at some point.

On vendredi 5 avril 2019 at 3:43 AM, TheV1perK1ller said:

MIDIs.zip

EDIT: #1 is from the Doom Tribute Project

#2 is from Hellebarde

#3 is from 2048 Unleashed

#4 is from Demon Eclipse (though I feel this one existed for much longer).

#1 is a Jimmy song, simply entitled "Birds".

Metadata from #3 says title is "DIXIE". Cannot help you more than that.

#4 corresponds to D_OUTPST in Demon Eclipse ca. 2011, but that did not help track me down further.

On 9/9/2019 at 9:17 PM, Gez said:

Metadata from #3 says title is "DIXIE". Cannot help you more than that.

Just found that this track was also used in Scythe X MAP07. An original composition by Joe Beahan (Nixot).

I have been curious about the second to fourth tracks I posted here.  Also does anyone know the track in the Blessed Trainer in the infamous The Sky May Be WAD?

Regarding the finale map of Sacrament, Memfis posted the source in a different topic several years ago.  Good luck digging it out of the Wads & Mods subforum, and if the Youtube post still exists.  I thought the album had the phrase "at the edge of tranquility" somewhere in its title but failed to track it down in a Youtube search so I don't remember the title as well as I'd hoped.

6 hours ago, Crusader No Regret said:

Regarding the finale map of Sacrament, Memfis posted the source in a different topic several years ago.  Good luck digging it out of the Wads & Mods subforum, and if the Youtube post still exists.  I thought the album had the phrase "at the edge of tranquility" somewhere in its title but failed to track it down in a Youtube search so I don't remember the title as well as I'd hoped.

I think I've tracked it down: it's Euthymia by Necrophorus from the album Underneath the Spirit of Tranquility. Here's a link: https://raisondetre.bandcamp.com/track/euthymia

On 8/6/2014 at 10:20 PM, Doomkid said:

I wonder if all of these will end up discovered one day, or if the world will come to an end with these last few tracks remaining a mystery.

I'm going to reopen the DWANGO investigation. It took 25 years, but Dwango5 Map01 did end up identified after so many years of wondering, so I'm never going to rule out the possibility that answers will surface some day.

Here's all of the unknown (or misidentified) tracks from Dwango: un-dwango.zip

Dwango6 Intermission music. I have a strong suspicion that this MIDI came included as a demo for some sequencing software. Obviously not certain, but it has the very definitive sound of trying to 'show off' what the sequencer was capable of. These kinds of demo MIDIs were common, but this one rules so I want to hear the un-MUS'd version and maybe even know the name of the person that wrote this wonderful track.

Dwango10 Map10. When I first heard this MIDI as a kid I was like "oh, that's definitely a Team TNT track right there". But I guess it's not, surely one of the composers would have stepped forward and owned it by now. So, if not from Team TNT.. Where did this very Doom-like MIDI even come from?

Dwango12 Map07. Much like the D6 intermission MIDI, I have a very strong suspicion that this was a demo MIDI meant to show off the capabilities of some long-forgotten MIDI sequencing software. Just a guess based on too much time spend digging through obscure MIDIs and software...

DC Dwango Map14. Yet another MIDI that I just kinda absent-mindedly credited to Team TNT when I was younger, but once again I guess it isn't. Were people all over the internet in the 90's just accidentally pooping out really cool "Doom, specifically TNT" style MIDIs or what?? They remind me of Map11 from Icarus (Stomp.mid) but clearly they weren't by JDoyle or he would have told us forever ago.

DwangoX Map12. This is a total unknown for me. I always got a Donkey Kong Country vibe from this one but I've played all 3 DKC games and this song isn't even in them.. Not to mention those games were brand spanking new when DwangoX was made - actually DKC 3 wasn't even out yet, so this is just another giant question mark.

...Now there's also the issue of the two (well, three technically) improperly credited MIDIs:

Dwango1 Map07 / Dwango5 Map20 which are bizarrely credited to "Dance" by Mitsuru Minamiyama and "danc.mid Dance Party Theme" which tells us next to nothing. I urge you to go through the pain of listening to most Mitsuru Minamiyama songs just to learn that the DoomWiki is wrong as hell. Even the song called "Come on and Dance" sounds almost nothing like the MIDI in question. Damnit!

I remember the story behind this misidentification. Someone got a (bullshit) copyright claim on an upload of this MIDI to YouTube. YouTube, which has a famously AWFUL song detection system, mislabeled it as simply "Dance" by Mitsuru Minamiyama, which as mentioned before doesn't actually exist. But, desperate for answers, we latched onto it as the truth at the time. Fuck me, I wish I could get that wasted time listening to weird J-Pop rubbish back. Much like some of the unknown MIDIs above, this one positively smacks of "demo MIDI included with sequencing software". The Dwango5 version is even slightly updated from the Dwango1 version - likely from a newer release of the aforementioned nebulous, unknown sequencing software.

There's also Dwango5 Map11 being incorrectly credited to "MIDI version of "Starfluxx" by Mempheria (Modified version from Gemstrom)" which is known to be false beyond any shadow of a doubt. Baratus II even brings evidence just a few posts above:

this MIDI's earliest use for a Doom PWAD was in 1994 called "Cyberdeath" and also used in DWANGO5 (MAP11), possibly Unidoom DM 1 (MAP02) and such. The Gemstorm game from 1995 appears to have not used the original MIDIs according to the Youtube comment from Whyareall (aka Whyareall2)

The shitty piano-only version of this MIDI that came with Gemstorm is very, very clearly the edited version. I can't believe this was ever a point of contention (there's a big ancient argument about it over on ZDaemon). Unless someone 1) bought the game, 2) took it back in time a year, 3) edited the MIDI and gave each instrument a way better choice than simply "Grand piano". Yeah, no way... It seems far more likely the people who made Gemstorm thought they could get away with piracy and no one would notice (and history proved them right, to be fair).

On the note of modified MIDIs though, I am 99% sure the Dwango5 Map01 MIDI was modified by Aikman himself to simply remove the whistle instrument, change the charang and slightly boost the tempo. I spoke to some old deathmatchers and Dwango alums about this on IRC some time ago, apparently a stunning amount of planning and thought was put into the MIDI selections for the Dwango wads. Some users loved the music for Dwango1 M1, aside from "that annoying UFO thing" so he found some free software and went in and clipped it himself. Now, that's how the fourth-hand story from 20 something years after the fact went. I can't verify it obviously (how could I) but it seems like a very reasonable - even likely - explanation. The version with the whistle is the 'true original'.

I figure I may as well list this unkown track as well: Dwango20 Map07

I'll also take this time to soapbox about how dwango9 and dwango13 are for some reason listed on the

DoomWiki DWANGO page despite that they're known to be "not legit". If there ever was an original Dwango9.wad from the mid-90's, it is seemingly lost to time. The commonly circulating "Dwango9" was compiled by Da_ManiaC back in 2004 (iirc). Here's an old ZDaemon thread from 2005 confirming it's unofficial nature. This is proven by the fact that is uses a song from Sonic Adventure Battle 2, which was released in 2002. The same story is behind Dwango13, no such wad ever existed in the 90's.

I'm of the opinion that post-2000 Dwango fan compilations should not be on the "semi official" Dwango page... Otherwise, why the heck aren't things like Dwango20 and Dwango Unchained there? I know it's a shame to obliterate that information about Dwango9 and Dwango13 from the web since it probably can't be found elsewhere, but considering they aren't actual Dwango wads from the actual Dwango era it just doesn't feel historically accurate to have them there.

Any info you guys might have would be greatly appreciated. It wasn't so long ago there were 40+ unknown Dwango MIDIs.. We're down to the last small handful! A decades long set of MIDI mysteries is almost totally solved! We gotta get there.

Edited by Doomkid

To answer your soapbox: Dwango Unchained is a subtitle to a 32in24 entry, so it's already filed in the 32in24 series. As for Dwango20, it simply didn't exist back then when the list of all dwango things was added to the article (that was in 2012), otherwise it's not unlikely it would have been added too.

I think what would make the most sense would be to add a little note that D9 and D13 were not actual, official DWANGO entries. And D20 and DU certainly deserve to be added to the "See also" list.

I've filled in most of the ZPack songs in the wiki, there's only three levels that I haven't identified.

• E2M5: Fanboy
    MIDI format. 10096 bytes. SLADE metadata dump:
    Music (MIDI)
    MIDI format 0 with time division 192
    Title: Symphony Template
    Text: By <Name>
    Copyright: Copyright © 2004 <Name>
    Copyright: All Rights Reserved
    Text: Generated by NoteWorthy Composer
    All I know is the author used Noteworthy Composer but didn't know how to configure his or her name.
  • E2M8: Tearing 'n' Temptation
    MP3 format. 1890432 bytes. SLADE metadata dump:

Sound (MP3)
    ID3v2.3.0
    Comments:
    eng

What's the point of even having metadata when you don't even use it? Since it's an MP3 one of these song identifier services might work.

• E2M9: Abyss to the BBQ
    Two songs, MIDI format.
    The first: 6700 bytes. SLADE metadata dump:

Music (MIDI)
    MIDI format 0 with time division 255
    Text: XMI2MID.EXE by Markus Hein (heinm@cs.tu-berlin.de)

It's quite similar in the beginning to a Shadowcaster song, so I think it's possibly from Marc Schaefgen. That it's converted from XMI means it's from a game that used the Miles Sound System.
    The second: 28190 bytes. SLADE metadata dump:

Music (MIDI)
    MIDI format 1 with 18 tracks and time division 480
    Marker: pj
    Marker: loopStart
    Marker: loopEnd
    Title: MELO1
    Title: MELO2,PIANO
    Title: TROMBONE1
    Title: TROMBONE2
    Title: TUBA
    Title: STRINGS1
    Title: STRINGS2
    Title: STRINGS3
    Title: HIT1
    Title: HIT2
    Title: BASS
    Title: CYMBAL
    Title: TAMBA
    Title: PERCUS1
    Title: TOM
    Title: TIMPANI

No luck finding a lead from this either.

4 hours ago, Gez said:

The second: 28190 bytes. SLADE metadata dump:

Music (MIDI)
MIDI format 1 with 18 tracks and time division 480
Marker: pj
Marker: loopStart
Marker: loopEnd
Title: MELO1
Title: TROMBONE1
Title: TROMBONE2
Title: TUBA
Title: STRINGS1
Title: STRINGS2
Title: STRINGS3
Title: HIT1
Title: HIT2
Title: BASS
Title: CYMBAL
Title: TAMBA
Title: PERCUS1
Title: TOM
Title: TIMPANI

No luck finding a lead from this either. 

This midi is "Jenova Absolute" from Final Fantasy VII

4 hours ago, Saltman said:

Anyone knows the music that plays on Map 1 of Finely Crafted Fetish Film?

Well, finely_crafted_text_file.txt says:

MIDI:
01 :: "Jincuba" by Benjamin Lewis
02 :: "Come to My Circle, Chichiburrin" by Zan-zan-zawa-veia
03 :: "Clouds" by Sambi Katano
04 :: "Grosstown Traffic" by Zan-zan-zawa-veia
05 :: "Niko" by Garret Thomson
06 :: "Cross" by Zan-zan-zawa-veia
07 :: "Strange Times" by Robert Inventor
TP :: "Pixie Dust" by Zan-zan-zawa-veia
IP :: "Strolling Away From A Dark And Dangerous Place" by Robert Inventor

and a SLADE metadata dump says:

Music (MIDI)
MIDI format 1 with 20 tracks and time division 480
Text: Composed And Sequenced By Benjamin Lewis  ***MJN***
Title: jincubaexp
Title: Sweep 
Title: Fingered Bass
Title: Z Drum effects
Title: Pad 
Title: Z Bongos
Title: Synth Bass
Title: Z Kit: Bd + Sn 
Title: Z: Ride
Title: Organ
Title: Ocarina 
Title: Gtr solo
Title: Z Toms
Title: Steel Gtr 
Title: Z: Timbales 
Title: Piano 
Title: Z Shakers 
Title: Rev 
Title: Kalimba 
Title: Seq Benjamin Lewis

and it's identical to the file jincuba_bl.mid you can download from http://midkar.com/original/original_02.html.

4 hours ago, Bashe said:

This midi is "Jenova Absolute" from Final Fantasy VII

I should have thought to check that title because someone had added it to the wrong boss level... Thanks!

On 2/13/2019 at 1:59 PM, Synthbat said:

Been trying to figure out what this is from, it's from one of Cutman's old platforming wads, Anarchy:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M02nRyT_WpfTlFVIJF0YxhVBkeLmmmGX/view?usp=sharing

The Grand Cathedral from Serious Sam: The Second Encounter

I might be a bit late on this, but I occasionally check back on this thread and noticed this post. It's always worth trying an app like Shazam if it's not a MIDI!

I was able to, I strongly suspect, finally identify the source of an older midi that has made the rounds. In an older post I made in this thread, I asked about the source of a few midis from Doom 2 X-Treme and Doom 2 X-Treme Gold. Among one of them was a midi used on map25 of Doom 2 X-Treme that typically goes by the name of "alien.mid" when hosted on various old pages. At first I saw that it was once listed on vgmusic.com as being "Underground" from Donkey Kong Country 3, but that couldn't have been the case because D2Xtreme came out before DKC3. One version of the midi had metadata that read "ALIEN LEGACY", which led me to my current suspicion that the midi is a bad conversion of something from that game. There's music in Alien Legacy that features a similar ascending/descending scale that is present in alien.mid, though that's one of the only things that sounds consistent between the two. Regardless, this is the explanation I'm going with, since none of my other leads went anywhere.

Unfortunately, the other unidentified midis from those two wads still remain as such. Haven't heard any of these midis in any other wads or sources of media to date. I have some suspicions on where they might come from, but it's all conjecture. D2X_map04.mid sounds very much like a mid-90s action/thriller movie theme, but not one I recognize. The other D2X midis sound like they could be from video games. I like D2X_map13.mid in particular. D2XG_map23.mid gives me JPRG vibes bigtime, but obviously not one I've played...

On 10/18/2019 at 2:45 PM, Doomkid said:

Dwango1 Map07 / Dwango5 Map20 which are bizarrely credited to "Dance" by Mitsuru Minamiyama and "danc.mid Dance Party Theme" which tells us next to nothing. I urge you to go through the pain of listening to most Mitsuru Minamiyama songs just to learn that the DoomWiki is wrong as hell. Even the song called "Come on and Dance" sounds almost nothing like the MIDI in question. Damnit!

I think I might have a lead on this one. I was sifting through a midi archive in an attempt to source some other elusive tracks, and I played a file called ANOTHER1.mid that sounds just like the midis from those two Dwango maps. However, this supposed "original" version sounds much different in that all the instruments are playing together right from the outset, whereas the Dwango versions seem to delay the accompaniments before they eventually play together. Unsure if that's an artifact of conversion or an intentional edit.

I found a driver package through Google for something called Kurzweil (looks like a synthesizer of sorts), and in the zip file was ANOTHER1.mid, dated 1992. This leads me to believe that ANOTHER1.mid was some sort of sample track for showing off the hardware, which has been discussed in this thread numerous times before. The metadata for the midi doesn't provide anything useful unfortunately.

Holy. Woah.

IIRC the second generation Kurzweil gear came to be in like 1990-1991 and did support early MIDI (the GM-MIDI standards weren't quite defined by then), so the general timeframes would match.

I guess we still can wonder who did the rearrangement of that 1-minute demo into a whole long song, but this is still a gigantic progress - and already better than we could have dream of. :)

On 10/18/2019 at 2:45 PM, Doomkid said:

There's also Dwango5 Map11 being incorrectly credited to "MIDI version of "Starfluxx" by Mempheria (Modified version from Gemstrom)" which is known to be false beyond any shadow of a doubt. Baratus II even brings evidence just a few posts above: 

this MIDI's earliest use for a Doom PWAD was in 1994 called "Cyberdeath" and also used in DWANGO5 (MAP11), possibly Unidoom DM 1 (MAP02) and such. The Gemstorm game from 1995 appears to have not used the original MIDIs according to the Youtube comment from Whyareall (aka Whyareall2)

The shitty piano-only version of this MIDI that came with Gemstorm is very, very clearly the edited version. I can't believe this was ever a point of contention (there's a big ancient argument about it over on ZDaemon). Unless someone 1) bought the game, 2) took it back in time a year, 3) edited the MIDI and gave each instrument a way better choice than simply "Grand piano". Yeah, no way... It seems far more likely the people who made Gemstorm thought they could get away with piracy and no one would notice (and history proved them right, to be fair).

Some more sleuthing led me to find this zip file that contains the midi in question, called TZ_THEME.mid. According to the NFO included, it's the theme song of a group called "Twilight Zone," some kind of demoscene thing I'm guessing. The song itself was composed by someone named "Wonder." I have a feeling this is probably its very truest origin.

@Bashe for president!

The MIDI itself has a messed up timestamp of 1981 (probably from DOS machine with bad / no real time clock) but the NFO does mark it as 1993.

You can see full names of the demogroup members in the other NFO file in the ZIP, too.

Spoiler

The Wayback Machine has bits of their website, but they made the frontpage menu a server-side image map (x,y coordinates are sent to CGI script on the server, which decides what data to reply with) so none of the subpages are archived unless they've been linked to directly from elsewhere.

And in one 1998 capture where index.html was gone and the server presented the directory listing instead.

https://web.archive.org/web/19980801000000*/http://www.tzsoft.no/

https://web.archive.org/web/19980523194921/http://www.tzsoft.no/

https://web.archive.org/web/19980523194928/http://www.tzsoft.no/about.html

https://web.archive.org/web/19980523195048/http://www.tzsoft.no/interpose.html

https://web.archive.org/web/19980523195126/http://www.tzsoft.no/people.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20021004214717/http://www.tzsoft.no/people.html

And hm.

Having listened to that Starfluxx track again, the opening notes remind me very much of an old Necros (Andrew Sega) track Point of Departure.

Considering that and that "oldskool syndrom #1" comment in Starfluxx, it might be the author of the latter made that song as a tribute referencing some of their favourite 90s demoscene music tracks.