Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Something About The Doom Movie...

If Doom 3 hadn't come out, maybe the movie would have been more like Doom. The movie took more from Doom 3 than Classic Doom, and then threw in its own stuff. What do you think? Do you think the movie would have been more like The Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 if Doom 3 wasn't released? Maybe it would have been more successful as well. Even if Doom 3 came out, do you think edits to make the movie more Doom would have made it better?

Hollywood generally doesn't have a very good track record as far as video game movies are concerned. The knowledge of the source material at display is often superficial at best. Even if Doom 3 never happened and even if the movie had been made based off of the classic games, I hesitate to think it would've been much better. I find that movies based on video games are a job better left to actual fans - the production values may not be nearly as astronomical, but the end result is more faithful to the source material most of the time.

I have actually thought of this thing many times, but I really don't know how a doom movie would be like. It would be a great challenge for a film maker to make a movie out of doom, since they would have to come up with something to drive it forward, a story. Doom is notable for not having that kind of thing :P. I am really curious, though.

Some map packs would be more suitable for movie content than the main game in my opinion. Imagine sunlust as a movie! All there is to it is to find a reason to why all this started happening and then it could be a story of a man being stranded in hell (the most spectacular and brutal places in hell, that is) in a lord-of-the-rings-like epic setting, immediately being confronted by other-worldly creatures that come in great numbers and seek to give him only eternal suffering. The only way is through, to fight and always come out of it victorious, all the while other damned people or demons would talk about his accomplishments as a legend: "That man, that got thrown in here has actually made it through the great Malestrom leaving only death to his pursuers that wanted to bring him eternal damnation!" "That's impossible!" "Yeah, but there is no way he'll get through God Machine alive. Oh what great grief awaits him..."

This might sound cheesy, dude, I know... But I would pay for such epic cheese, make it happen!

Edit: Or it would at least be a decent DnD campaign idea :P

Edited by Lokatzis 007 CJ

I dunno, if Doom 3 didn't happen, they would have still mucked it up somehow.

I don't think a good Doom movie has to be all that fancy and shit with the story. It just has to be fun and stick to the damned lore. Take Aliens (the 2nd Alien film) and Battlefield Los Angeles (minus the shaky cam crap) and do something similar. A squad of marines goes to / is stationed on (enter whatever location here: moon base, Mars, fucking Pluto, some alien outpost or space station) and have some portal shit happen eventually and the demons show up. Demons from hell, not some chromosome, disease shit... it's Hell and it's evil and bloody. The squad eventually gets wiped except for the Doomguy and he takes on the rest of the hordes of demons and kick ass, closes the gate and gets to go home, battered and bloody with a grin on face. :D

No, Hollywood's track record for making movies based on games is horrible, with very few exceptions, such as the first MK movie, are they worth anything other than becoming a laughing stock, so even if there was no Doom 3, it would've still been quite awful, if not even more so due to the classic's often abstract design, and some of the highlights may not have existed at all - I think we can kiss goodbye to the evocative locations.

No because they would've had even less material to adapt for the screen. If another movie were to be made now, it'd be a better idea to adapt the narrative established and carried across 2016 and Eternal since both games injected much more story material that the prior two movies simply didn't have to work with.

I would be cool if somebody take the portal idea of Doom Anihilation, and use the better atmosphere of the first movie to make something good.
I constantly laugh when i think that somebody may use the two films, and after some cutting and pasting here and there, made an interesting frankefilm.

Come to think of it, Doom_Dude's idea is quite interesting. Make alien but with kicking ass instead of horror :P

If they had said "fuck the story" it would have been a lot better. John wick doesn't have a story any longer than the paragraph that sets up the original doom, and people love it. What they should have done is introduce a handful of marine characters, give them thirty seconds of exposition while en route to the mission, and then thirty seconds where their overconfident asses get slaughtered in the moon base. All except the lone marine who stayed behind in the transport. That's all the story you need. The rest could be literally 90 minutes of grotesque demons, broken facilities, finding cool guns, blasting shit, maybe a couple scientist logs to give you a voice to hear briefly before they scream out their last breath. Finally doomguy shuts down the teleporter and flies back to earth... But radio contact isn't working. Then he sees demons crawling over the streets of humanity. Roll credits.

1 hour ago, magicsofa said:

If they had said "fuck the story" it would have been a lot better. John wick doesn't have a story any longer than the paragraph that sets up the original doom, and people love it. What they should have done is introduce a handful of marine characters, give them thirty seconds of exposition while en route to the mission, and then thirty seconds where their overconfident asses get slaughtered in the moon base. All except the lone marine who stayed behind in the transport. That's all the story you need. The rest could be literally 90 minutes of grotesque demons, broken facilities, finding cool guns, blasting shit, maybe a couple scientist logs to give you a voice to hear briefly before they scream out their last breath. Finally doomguy shuts down the teleporter and flies back to earth... But radio contact isn't working. Then he sees demons crawling over the streets of humanity. Roll credits.

That's an awesome idea! I'd like to see the director of John Wick make a Doom movie. :D

It would have been exactly the same thing but using totally new desings for the demons and weapons and maybe it would be less dark (in the sense that most of the movie wouldn't happen in a blue sewer with shitty lighting)

I don't know why it's so difficult for hollywood to adapt doom, just take any cheesy 80s/90s action movie and set it on mars, replace the main hero for doomguy, replace the people/monsters he kills for demons, thrown an scene with a bfg on there and you just made a good doom movie