Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FireballCaco

What's the most annoying thing in the classic DOOM games?

From the precise strafing needed, to the swarms of enemies, to the frustration, what's the most annoying thing about the classic DOOM games?

Lost Soul limit.

When I first encountered the sterile Pain Elementals, I thought it was some kind of bug. It was even worse than that... It was intended...

1 hour ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Infinitely tall monsters. THERE, I SAID IT.

1 hour ago, N1ck said:

Infinitely tall monsters. E1M5's yellow door is annoying as hell when the demons can hit you from the bottom of the elevator.

Use a limit removing source port.

For me...maybe the Sergeants?

The chainsaw. It could be so much better. Also the hitscan check code is awfull, not letting you melee wide monsters. After playing in gzdoom and being able to saw a mancubus or an arachnotron I got spoiled...

Okay, I'm not in rant mode so why not.

- The combination of blockmap bug and low damage rolls continually letting imps, shotgunners, and most specially pinkies, live longer than what they should.

- Redundant, but I can't ever stand more than one pain elemental infighting in open spaces, liberally vomiting souls everywhere, the redundancy is because these two monsters are successfully programmed to be inconveniences in any context. It's the waste of ammo and tracking lost souls that annoys me the most, so lately I've been ignoring them, the less salt the better.

- Hmm, vanilla engine bugs in general I guess, blockmap bug, hitbox collision detection, clipped fireballs, archvile bug, things you have to live with, elastic collision isn't as intrusive as others. When these appear to ruin a glorious moment, and later persist throughout a session, yeah that's when I start questioning my life decisions.

This really isn't easy without any rage inside...

I always found it annoying in the original game because it's episodic so you need to start each episode fresh so you can't carry over your weapons and health and armour bonuses.

The almost instantly recover from punch to fireball the Revenant have, its really unfair! You managed to get away from his punch but get fucked by one Fireball almost in the same frame.

This isn't an issue with the iwads anymore but getting lost / not knowing how to progress. I can handle getting assfucked over and over until I beat an encounter but when I start backtracking to figure out where to go I feel a real sense of dread. I hate that shit.

Several low damage rolls in sucession while berserk punching pinkies, imps and revenants.

learning curve in E4. 

Also, not for many, since most start on HMP, but for those that start on ITYTD and then after their playthrough, they switch to like UV or HMP or even Nightmare, just to have pure insanity. 

25 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Fuck this stupid "safety pin", that is always engaged when you switch to RL or BFG. Nobody needs that "child security", nobody wants it, either. Nobody likes spam clicking in decisive moments only to make sure they get their rocket or BFG round out as early as possible.

Yes. I've grown to love just about everything Doom has to offer - including infinitely tall monsters - but this will never cease to piss me off.

I'm going to have to go with infinite height as well. It's not exactly something I deal with anymore thanks to ZDoom, but I never find myself missing it either. Chasm was really only ruined by infinite height IMO. With it gone, that level is actually tolerable. Same with Downtown, Living End, and other, similar levels with lots of verticality.

Another thing I dislike is how long weapon switching takes. It's agonizingly long, and injects a lot of artificial difficulty into the game. Especially in challenge maps, where you're going to be switching weapons a lot.

No specific monsters or moments or anything like that. Nothing really sticks out to me in that way.

8 minutes ago, Maggle said:

I'm going to have to go with infinite height as well. It's not exactly something I deal with anymore thanks to ZDoom, but I never find myself missing it either. Chasm was really only ruined by infinite height IMO. With it gone, that level is actually tolerable. Same with Downtown, Living End, and other, similar levels with lots of verticality.

Another thing I dislike is how long weapon switching takes. It's agonizingly long, and injects a lot of artificial difficulty into the game. Especially in challenge maps, where you're going to be switching weapons a lot.

No specific monsters or moments or anything like that. Nothing really sticks out to me in that way.

This! One of my favorite things about Doom 2016 is the weapon wheel.  I actually liked how linear Doom 2016 was. VEGA was fascinating! A whole dedicated facility just for cooling for him. Of course Dr. Samuel Hayden was one of the most interesting characters I've seen in a game in a while. Would love to see a game centered on him and his back story. Sorry for going OT for a bit....

I first played classic Doom with the Doom 3 BFG edition, and I liked it for the first levels, so I did my research and end up with GZDoom (wich I love, I'm a slut ok), wasn't until later that I wanted to try a more vanilla style so I went full vanilla.

I couldn't understand why every once in a while I would get stuck in some edge or something. It did drove me mad in some ocassions.

Anyway, infinitely tall monsters.

Also, Revenants. I dont like hot flamming balls in my face goddamit.

The screen change when you pick up an Invulnerabilty sphere. It's a visual downgrade and almost makes you NOT want to pick it up.

Also, i wish there was a timed meter for when you have Invulnerbility or a rad suit, light amplification goggles etc. 

14 minutes ago, PeterMoro said:

The screen change when you pick up an Invulnerabilty sphere. It's a visual downgrade and almost makes you NOT want to pick it up.

Also, i wish there was a timed meter for when you have Invulnerbility or a rad suit, light amplification goggles etc. 

I also hate how the screen turns red when you pick up a Berserk pak. A flash would be better than a fade...