Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rajerel

What's the hardest map pack out there?

I want to suffer, so what's the map pack the community considers the hardest? or at lest one of the hardest.

(edit): Of course it has to be doable, and it can be pretty much any type of map pack honestly.

There is no consensus on which pack is "hardest", and at any rate the skill ceiling is so unbelievably high that you are unlikely to make any progress on any of the serious contenders without having played many other challenge wads first. It is not something that you can just jump into, any more than you can pick up a violin for the first time at the music score and play Stravinsky.

Dimensions is a great candidate. All of its maps have been maxed too. 'Doable' is a relative term though. This one is going to be really rough on UV, even with saves, unless you are a very good player. 

Scythe is hard towards the end for "normal" people, yet it is so, so much easier than something like Dimensions that they cannot even be compared. If that's your idea of hard you have no idea what you're getting into.

It's easier than Doom 2 for a lot of it, and then it gets a lot harder than that. Its peak is really hard relative to Doom 2, but a lot easier than that of modern "really hard" wads. 

Dimensions makes Sunder feel easy, which should tell you what you need to know about the relative difficulties of the 'hardest stuff out there.' Might be more than you actually want. :) 

Dimensions is harder than Sunder when viewed on a fight by fight basis. Sunder is difficult by virtue of length, Dimensions is hard by virtue of being actually hard.

1 minute ago, cambreaKer said:

1guyvs100cyberdemons.wad

I can see what the wad's all about

52 minutes ago, ‹rd› said:

This one is going to be really rough on UV, even with saves, unless you are a very good player. 

i tested the shit out of HMP on a few of those maps.  even the step down was more than enough to force a sense of humility. 

8 minutes ago, Pirx said:

sunlust is hard, dimensions is "i'm out"

Map 31 and map 01 of Dimensions are the easier (easier being a VERY relative term here!) maps in the set, and the TAS video you linked there sucks, by the way. I beat the map in like 3:18 non-TAS and only got that time beaten by "Mosal" (whom nobody seems to know anything about), with a 3:09. I am convinced the map can be done sub 3 minutes, if you grind it hard enough, but I digress. Map 31 looks much more difficult than it actually is.

Dimensions is uniquely brutal...but Stardate 20x7 will surely set you on fire as well. The hardest 'serious' wad @Ribbiks has done.

While distinctly not on the same brutality level as Dimensions, Abandon (by @Benjogami @Scotty @bemused) and Death in Excess (by @NoReason) are lengthy sets (16+ levels each) from the past year that share some of their styles with Sunder. In fact - together with Sunder - perhaps the largest really hard (ie above Sunlust) wads to date.

Lastly Cryogenics (by bemused) is one more fairly essential mention.

14 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I beat the map in like 3:18 non-TAS and only got that time beaten by "Mosal" (whom nobody seems to know anything about), with a 3:09. I am convinced the map can be done sub 3 minutes, if you grind it hard enough, but I digress. Map 31 looks much more difficult than it actually is.

and you beat my 3:52 :l

16 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

To be fair, you're still faster than TAS ;-)

is this really it? have i hit the big time? 

i'll remember you all.  mostly with contempt, but i'll remember. 

/s

Crusades by Richard Wiles.

Hell Revealed.

Scythe II slaughter maps (MAP27 for example)

Sunder.

Deus Vult II.

Nuts.wad.

Wow.wad. (if you add a mapinfo and include cyberdemonspecial and specialaction endlevel)

2048 Unleashed MAP49: Rat Race, surrounded by hitscanners shooting you as you run for your life collecting soulspheres. It is not that hard though, but it is fun!

@pcorf nuts? really? like, free invul and circling the strafe until the first room is cleared then waiting 10 minutes for a completely free run to the exit is hard?

1 minute ago, loveless said:

@pcorf nuts? really? like, free invul and circling the strafe until the first room is cleared then waiting 10 minutes for a completely free run to the exit is hard?

I have never played it, just seen screenshots hehe so I assume it is hard as (although you could add cheats such as summonfriend cyberdemon, etc). Everyone seems perplexed by it and me, no interest for me. Try it on a 386, I dare you!

@pcorf runs at a smooth 35fps in prboom+!  haven't had a 386 in the house since i was a wee lad of about this tall (holds hand out at arbitrary height).

In terms of difficulty, we're always talking about fights and monsters.

For my part, I would be more interested to know about difficult wads in terms of progression , puzzle...  For instance some ToD's maps are considered as difficult or for experimented players only due to their very obscure progression and the mandatory use of jumping techniques such as the strafe 50 on platforms sometimes located above dead pits.

10 hours ago, pcorf said:

I have never played it, just seen screenshots hehe so I assume it is hard as (although you could add cheats such as summonfriend cyberdemon, etc). Everyone seems perplexed by it and me, no interest for me. Try it on a 386, I dare you!

Nuts is really more of a CPU stress test than a level.

I feel like this is relevant, so that perhaps you don't have to make quite that drastic of a jump:

On 6/22/2020 at 11:29 PM, Roofi said:

In terms of difficulty, we're always talking about fights and monsters.

For my part, I would be more interested to know about difficult wads in terms of progression , puzzle...  For instance some ToD's maps are considered as difficult or for experimented players only due to their very obscure progression and the mandatory use of jumping techniques such as the strafe 50 on platforms sometimes located above dead pits.

real shit.  way back when i was streaming SF3c, a friend of mine had to open the map(forget slot, changed since final release) in gzdb to help me figure out the path to a key.

@Mr. Jar (aka: Nelguy)

If you found Scythe hard and Sunder really really really hard, you're probably out of your league playing some of the maps suggested here. But that is one way that they say to improve: play things beyond your comfort zone and ability level.

To add to the pile of maps and mapsets designed to bring misery to your life, I would suggest Fonze's Bad Day (mandatory platforming over inescapable death pits, mandatory 2-shotting cyberdemons, fighting swarms of pain elementals with rockets, and a final arena that forces you to be conscious of your ammo supply).

If you're looking for other, more "usual" maps and mapsets that you will likely find punishing, you can try:

Abyssion

Going Down

SlaughterMAX