Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

Show me your PC setup!

Hey!

I was wondering, how does the average Doomworld member rig looks like ? I'm a big PC fan and I love to watch pc setups, from the small yet effective to the great and mighty. If I would categorize myself within a category, that would probably be budget.

Anyway, here's my beast:

Pure generic asus laptop.104674631_631436164127746_6012250645303111872_n.jpg.a67e3bcaa00c7f1ee3091c8ad41dd7aa.jpg Looks better at dark uh.

I kinda live in a prison cell in spirit (I hate this room but I got no other choice) but at least the laptop still works. By far the best thing about this is the keyboard (Logitech G213) and the mouse (Logitech G302) despite being quite cheap, the quality is outstanding.

I have a 6 year old PC, Intel HD Graphics, 2GB RAM and 900GB HDD. The monitor is kinda small, but the keyboard and mouse are pretty good IMO.

And yes, it's a PC not a laptop.

48 minutes ago, Good-Old said:

I have a 6 year old PC, Intel HD Graphics, 2GB RAM and 900GB HDD. The monitor is kinda small, but the keyboard and mouse are pretty good IMO.

And yes, it's a PC not a laptop.

I used to have a PC kinda like that, but it was older and it got various upgrades through the years, until it became kinda like a Frankeinstein monster. In the end, after like 9 or 10 years, the processor died, and now I'm stuck with this laptop. I hope I can upgrade it someday.

@Endless

You forgot to mention your PC specs. They are definitely better than mine. And anyway I can't get a new PC unless I score 90% marks lol.

Scratch built my comp 3 years ago or was it 4...

I had to clean up my desk, it was a damned mess.

i5 - 6600 (3.30ghz), 16GB Ram, GTX 1060 / 6GB, Win10 Home 64bit, 8tb HHD space, 27" LG LED Monitor, NZXT Apollo black case, cheapo blackweb mouse.

QeEsk79.jpg

iLgx6KT.jpg

q5OK59w.jpg

I've been meaning to get a new computer for a while but I'm going to wait until after 2020 to get one as I need an entire new system instead of an upgrade of a part or two. My laptop is old as well and I should get a new one also but it's done me well so far and it runs older games perfectly well so I think I'll hang on to it for the time being.

20200621_183403.jpg

20200621_184217.jpg

24 minutes ago, Doom_Dude said:

Scratch built my comp 3 years ago or was it 4...

I had to clean up my desk, it was a damned mess.

i5 - 6600 (3.30ghz), 16GB Ram, GTX 1060 / 6GB, Win10 Home 64bit, 8tb HHD space, 27" LG LED Monitor, NZXT Apollo black case, cheapo blackweb mouse.

QeEsk79.jpg

iLgx6KT.jpg

q5OK59w.jpg

That is one inspiring workstation. I love the fact that you also sketch your maps on paper! Pretty cool statue over there too! I suppose is a Draenei ? 

14 minutes ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

I've been meaning to get a new computer for a while but I'm going to wait until after 2020 to get one as I need an entire new system instead of an upgrade of a part or two. My laptop is old as well and I should get a new one also but it's done me well so far and it runs older games perfectly well so I think I'll hang on to it for the time being.

20200621_183403.jpg

20200621_184217.jpg

Getting a completely new PC is always a tough one, but once you get the satisfaction is just great.

7 minutes ago, Endless said:

That is one inspiring workstation. I love the fact that you also sketch your maps on paper! Pretty cool statue over there too! I suppose is a Draenei ?

Hey thanks. Yeah, it's a Draenei from WoW. There was a few diff figures in the stores way back when. I was going to get some of the other ones but I never saw them again. I draw a small percentage of maps on paper.. I just happened to get back into the map drawing on graph paper recently.

3 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

Hey thanks. Yeah, it's a Draenei from WoW. There was a few diff figures in the stores way back when. I was going to get some of the other ones but I never saw them again. I draw a small percentage of maps on paper.. I just happened to get back into the map drawing on graph paper recently.

Really good drawing skills btw! Makes me wonder, do yo play D&D ? 

I'm surprised to see single monitor setups. I only have 1 monitor as well since i have a tiny desk. Most people (or gamers i know) have at least 2 minimum. I don't have a picture yet (my phone sucks) but i'll take one soon and show it here with my dads camera later.

13 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

I'm surprised to see single monitor setups. I only have 1 monitor as well since i have a tiny desk. Most people (or gamers i know) have at least 2 minimum. I don't have a picture yet (my phone sucks) but i'll take one soon and show it here with my dads camera later.

Most rich gamers maybe lol Monitors cand be quite expensive depending on the resolution and framerate. I'm quite happy with the one I have, it has the right size, normal resolution and framerate but the key thingy about it is that is Borderless, I like that.

For work, 2 monitors make sense. For a gaming-oriented setup, they don't, because you need a center monitor. So it's either 1 or 3. And for 3 you already need a big desk, plus spend more on the screens. If you actually want to play games on all 3 - you may need to invest a fortune into the hardware (CPU + GPU, or often multiple GPUs).

At work, I use 2 monitors. At home, all my desk setups have a single monitor. The latest one is the 32" UHD BenQ PD3200U.

As in - the same game across 3 monitors. Ultra-ultra-ultra-wide. Can be cool for certain 3D games (shooting, driving, flying), and maybe even real-time strategies.

6 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

I was using dual monitors for a long time, then I got a newfangled GTX 1060 and it turned out to have one HDMI output and three DisplayPorts. So unless I dig up an adaptor somewhere (I never really looked all that hard) my old HDMI monitor is in mothballs and I don't feel like buying a new DisplayPort monitor. I actually didn't even think of any of this when I bought the vidya card.

I have a 2015 gaming laptop from MSI (with a Core i7-6700HQ and a GTX 970M, the latter O/C'ed by 20%) with a 27" monitor and a keyboard and mouse connected to it. The monitor supports any frequency from 50 to 75 Hz, so I have set it to 70 to get a double-the-ticrate frequency which works well with the game's interpolation. For some older ZDoom variants, like Zandronum, I've also specified a 71.43 Hz frequency setting (double the ZDoom ticrate) which I rarely use, however.

@dr_st I figured as much. I never really bothered to look for one. Maybe I should do that. A second monitor would be nice again.

9 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

If they're rich maybe, but I neither have the money for two nor enough space on my desk :p. Besides, for multiple monitors you're gonna need some better hardware as well, like maybe even multiple GPUs. Can't afford that kind of stuff.

Don't think that because I'm streaming I have two or more by default haha. I'm literally reading the chat on the Twitch mobile app. But surely looking at the kind of hardware some people have here is a rather depressing sight, knowing I'll never be able to afford one.

1 hour ago, Biodegradable said:

LG7KkNB.png

Wait a minute... what RAM is that? Clocked at... 1065mhz??

2 hours ago, seed said:

Wait a minute... what RAM is that? Clocked at... 1065mhz??

DDR4-2133 obviously. The clocks are often a couple of MHz off.

8 minutes ago, dr_st said:

DDR4-2133 obviously. The clocks are often a couple of MHz off.

More like a thousand but ok.

DDR stands for double data rate... So that makes sense. I have the same speed RAM, and it also shows something like 1065 MHz.

Speccy.png

31 minutes ago, Get Phobo said:

DDR stands for double data rate... So that makes sense. I have the same speed RAM, and it also shows something like 1065 MHz.

Speccy.png

1080p@70hz? Okay, didn't know that existed.

But what program is this BTW? It's oddly familiar and I've seen it many times before, but can't remember the name. Wouldn't be surprised if it's something built-in into Windows that I completely forgot about.

Just now, seed said:

1080p@70hz? Okay, didn't know that existed.

But what program is this BTW? It's oddly familiar and I've seen it many times before, but can't remember the name. Wouldn't be surprised if it's something built-in into Windows that I completely forgot about.

It's Speccy (or something similar).

I set the 70 Hz rate using the Custom Resolution Utility. My external monitor supports up to 75 Hz.

BTW, Speccy reports the refresh rate of the first screen wrongly. It's 60 Hz as the laptop's integrated display cannot be set higher than that (probably 62 Hz is the maximum), but for some reason the second (external) screen's 70 Hz are applied to both displays by the app in its overview.