Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BBQgiraffe

Coronavirus pandemic chat [no medical advice plz]

what's your thoughts on the Coronavirus?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. how concerned are you about the Coronavirus?

• it's nothing to worry about
    • it's not that dangerous
    • it's a bit concerning
    • this is rather alarming
    • this could lead to disaster
    • this could lead to disaster and world governments are being idiots about it
    • Walking Dead but not as cool
    • I don't care

Apologies for the necrobump, but...

Indonesia is currently officially the country with the highest recorded coronavirus cases in Southeast Asia.

I'm at loss of words.

Coronavirus cases are skyrocketing here due to people being idiots and going out carefree... I have heard at least 5 people die in my neighborhood in this pandemic.

Stay safe man.

The situation in my country isn't much better either. My country is 6th on the list of highest active cases (and soon would surpass Peru). The new cases to new tests ratio is around 1:6 here.

A guest came here a few days ago,(I know it was a bad idea to visit him but... PARENTS.)

Dad told me he's positive in a covid test.

I'm F**ed.

On 6/18/2020 at 5:45 AM, InDOOMnesia said:

Apologies for the necrobump, but...

Indonesia is currently officially the country with the highest recorded coronavirus cases in Southeast Asia.

I'm at loss of words.

Don't go out and don't let any guest enter your house. Pls don't die.

11 minutes ago, Good-Old said:

Don't go out and don't let any guest enter your house. Pls don't die.

Thanks, and I make sure to distance myself from people that are not my family.

4 hours ago, Good-Old said:

A guest came here a few days ago,(I know it was a bad idea to visit him but... PARENTS.)

Dad told me he's positive in a covid test.

I'm F**ed.

Stick to the positives, don't focus on the negatives. Your dad will deal with COVID and tell it to never come back.

Also, please take a test aswell. Since your dad came to your place and turned out to be positive, its better safe than sorry to get tested aswell.

3 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Thanks, and I make sure to distance myself from people that are not my family.

Why would you leave DoomWorld?!?! The heck!

:P

20 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Stick to the positives, don't focus on the negatives. Your dad will deal with COVID and tell it to never come back.

Also, please take a test aswell. Since your dad came to your place and turned out to be positive, its better safe than sorry to get tested aswell.

Why would you leave DoomWorld?!?! The heck!

:P

Not my dad, the guest was positive. Why would I talk about him(guest) if he didn't come here and/or he isn't positive?

5 minutes ago, Good-Old said:

Not my dad, the guest was positive. Why would I talk about him(guest) if he didn't come here and/or he isn't positive?

Well:
''A guest came here a few days ago,(I know it was a bad idea to visit him but... PARENTS.)

Dad told me he's positive in a covid test.''

I got loopsided by the Parents in the first sentence because your dad, assuming you are living seperately, is thus a guest.

When the next line says that ''Dad told me he's positive'' i read that as your own dad telling you that he is positive, not the guest :P

There were some news about some early global cases from the end of 2019, so that got me thinking. I had a very nasty flu in December - all of the primary COVID symptoms. Never had it that bad since 2006.

🤔

54 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Well:
''A guest came here a few days ago,(I know it was a bad idea to visit him but... PARENTS.)

Dad told me he's positive in a covid test.''

I got loopsided by the Parents in the first sentence because your dad, assuming you are living seperately, is thus a guest.

When the next line says that ''Dad told me he's positive'' i read that as your own dad telling you that he is positive, not the guest :P

Now that I read it again, it really does feel like he's the guest, I should have mentioned who "he" is.

But if it was my dad visiting me I would definitely meet him.

What I meant is that parents forced me to meet the guest(they always do lol) but I don't wanna meet them cause I am more of an introvert + the current situation.

Vic Vos: Yeah, might have had it already. Only an antibody test will tell. Maybe you can get one for cheap, once this is more or less over. I only got an ordinary test recently, and that one only shows if I currently have Covid.

Apparently cases are on a sudden rise in my country, especially in the city I live in. I hope it's temporary, because at home we have a person whose immune system does not work, like at all. If I bring COVID with me, I'll be responsible for a death, which means going for extreme measures again - rubber gloves at all times, loose jacket with a hoodie and GP-5... In 30C heat.

I'm going to die.

I don't give a fuck. Nobody here's been practicing corona shit, and literally nobody here has had it. I don't know a soul IRL who got the virus, and I don't see people coughing their lungs out. If Corona is so global, it should be here en-masse. We should not be an exception, this is a semi-major city and economic center. If Corona is such a pandemic, I should have it by now or at least had it. If Corona is so dangerous, then why is the mortality rate so (relatively) low?

Yeah fuck science dude tinfoilhatnews.net told me it’s nbd and since none of my 4 friends have it it doesn’t exist

13 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Yeah fuck science dude tinfoilhatnews.net told me it’s nbd and since none of my 4 friends have it it doesn’t exist

Idk man, ever since like... at some point science was less an uh esoteric(?) search for knowledge and for the betterment of humanity, and at some point it just became a tool for control. I think the beginning of that problem where most mainstream science was anti-actualfuckingknowledge and pro-giveusmoneyandwellsaywhathelpsyou was when tobacco countries paid off people to scientifically "prove" that tobacco smoke didn't cause cancer. With that being said, I don't have any evidence that there's an ulterior motive, but I sure as hell know that nobody here has it, regardless of the lack of care my entire community has had to corona prevention measures. Nobody practices social distancing or masks, nobody is coughing up a storm, nobody I know, and nobody they know has corona (And that's at least 1000+ people) so excuse me if i question the validity that corona is gonna end the world.

Of course it won't end the world, but - and this is just a guess - it has the potential to wreak havoc economically, as well as medically. Oh wait, it did already? Well, there you go.

If nobody of your friends, family and everyone you know has it; congratulations, you are one of BILLIONS. If at some point you do get it, well... good luck. If you don't believe the hype or the media, good on you. Just visit a local hospital's ICU and ask the doctors, if they encountered an uptick in pneumonia cases, etc. That'd be the easiest way for you to corroborate the news stories. I am pretty sure that it does exist, though, because rarely do act governments WORLDWIDE from democracy to authocracy in this kind of way to a mere conspiracy theory.

2 hours ago, hypoactive said:

>Nobody practices social distancing or masks, nobody is coughing up a storm, nobody I know, and nobody they know has corona
>Idk man, ever since like... at some point science was less an uh esoteric(?) search for knowledge and for the betterment of humanity, and at some point it just became a tool for control.

Yeah, because they're evidently doing all the right things by staying home, washing their hands, only going downtown when absolutely necessary. Things are going well in my country BECAUSE we're all do the right things to stay safe and THAT'S why our numbers are going down and we're successfully flattening the curve. The reason why your area has a lack of it must obviously be for the same reasons, I mean come on.

Take off your tin-foil hat, it's really unfashionable and only makes you look silly, fam.

5 hours ago, hypoactive said:

I don't give a fuck. Nobody here's been practicing corona shit, and literally nobody here has had it. I don't know a soul IRL who got the virus, and I don't see people coughing their lungs out. If Corona is so global, it should be here en-masse. We should not be an exception, this is a semi-major city and economic center. If Corona is such a pandemic, I should have it by now or at least had it. If Corona is so dangerous, then why is the mortality rate so (relatively) low?

Dismissing an issue because it hasn't affected you personally (yet) is a pretty dumb and irresponsible thing to do.

In my city people are getting sick and dying. Not by the thousands or even tens, maybe like a dozen every week. But deaths are occurring, and since no information about the victims gets out, it's impossible to determine the factors contributing to the likelihood of an average person getting COVID and dying. People just assume they're fine until they suddenly aren't. I have 3 people in my care, one of them completely vulnerable to germs. I'm a perfectly healthy man in his late 20s - the last time I've been seriously sick was back in high school. I shouldn't worry at all, and yet I do. Every day. I wish more people would follow my example instead of neglecting even the facemasks in indoor areas. I'm not asking them to carry a disinfectant spray bottle, wear rubber gloves, goggles and a mask at all times (even though they should). Just wear a fucking mask, or at least cover your mouth and nose with SOMETHING when you go outside and have the fucking decency to not cough on people.

Edited by SuperchargedEuthanasiaDiv

2.47 million confirmed cases minus 764k recoveries brings us to a grand total of about 1.7 million cases in the US.

There are 330 million people in the US.

That means you have a 0.7% chance of currently having the virus in the US.

This is extremely simple mathematics and demonstrates precisely why you haven't had it and are unlikely to know someone who has had it if your social circle isn't super large.

It's also worth mentioning that it's impossible to know 1,000 people due to the size of the neocortex. I guess you can know of many more than that, but the point is knowing more than about 250 people intimately enough to be sure they would have told you if they'd contracted it is not physically possible.

at some point it just became a tool for control. I think the beginning of that problem where most mainstream science was anti-actualfuckingknowledge and pro-giveusmoneyandwellsaywhathelpsyou was when tobacco countries paid off people to scientifically "prove" that tobacco smoke didn't cause cancer.

So because some heavily monied interests have paid for deliberately skewed results that would benefit their bottom line, that means science as a general concept is a tool for control.

I just have to ask if you realize how utterly fucking insane that conclusion is?

The sensible conclusion to take from the problem you've mentioned is "greed and capitalism have run amok and are actively impeding the search for knowledge", not "science itself is dead and is now only used to control us". The issue you've raised is precisely why peer-reviewed studies are a thing, and why they are taken much more seriously than studies published without any sort of 3rd party review process.

Look, I'm not gonna sit here and feed you a line of crap about the MSM. Yes, they do lie to us a fucking lot. The ability to know when and why people lie surely helps to counteract that though. Many ultra-wealthy, ultra-influential businesses - ones that largely have the government in their pocket - are taking a giant fucking financial hit from this bullshit.

Please tell me what the benefit of "lying to the masses to make the economy crash so everyone, rich and poor, end up with less money" is. Tell me who benefits from that? As a tip, if something doesn't make any sense at all, that's usually because it's bullshit.

In fact, "hey, come back into work ya little wage slave! it's safe again! I promise!!" sounds a lot more like an obvious lie fueled by greed, because that actually results in the rich getting richer again, AKA the return to status quo that these companies are so desperate for. Situations like this are where learning how to sniff out bullshit becomes a super useful skill.

There are a couple exceptions. I guess Amazon and Bezos, that bald headed cunt, are doing pretty well since everyone has to buy a lot of their shit online now. So is every single scientist around the world looking into COVID-19 in Jeff's pocket? (No, they aren't. But it's the one and only way the "CORONA IS MIND CONTROL" angle makes any sense...)

Edited by Doomkid

Speaking of the number of cases, unsurprisingly our numbers have started to bomb this month. We've had over 300 new cases daily for the past few days, and over 400 yesterday. In most countries Corona has almost become a thing of the past, now it seems we're dying for the second wave... nice...

4 hours ago, hypoactive said:

I don't give a fuck. Nobody here's been practicing corona shit, and literally nobody here has had it. I don't know a soul IRL who got the virus, and I don't see people coughing their lungs out. If Corona is so global, it should be here en-masse. We should not be an exception, this is a semi-major city and economic center. If Corona is such a pandemic, I should have it by now or at least had it.

If, out of all countries, fucking CHINA closed down their inhuman powerhouse, you bet your ass it's bad on an unprecedented level. You can't denialize your way out of that little detail.

4 hours ago, hypoactive said:

If Corona is so dangerous, then why is the mortality rate so (relatively) low?

If you were informed that there is a one in about fifty to hundred chance that you'd be dead within next few weeks, it wouldn't sound so low anymore. Also, at this point we know it's very likely if your symptoms surpass mild stage, you'd be negatively affected for years, if not for life.

7 minutes ago, j4rio said:

If you were informed that there is a one in about fifty to hundred chance that you'd be dead within next few weeks, it wouldn't sound so low anymore. Also, at this point we know it's very likely if your symptoms surpass mild stage, you'd be negatively affected for years, if not for life.

I think this is definitely the most interesting revelation as of late, and a good reason to avoid the crowds that the loosening lock downs are causing. When it's a "low" risk of death for those in my age bracket, it's not a big deal to risk giving myself a shitty few weeks if I'm desperate to get out and about a bit, given my general adherence to keeping indoors and using masks and stuff on my weekly shopping trip. However, as soon as you're putting long-term poor health on the table, that changes everything, even if the chances of that happening still stay relatively low. "I'll probably make it" is one thing, but "Even if I survive, I'll probably be fucked" is a major thing to avoid.

My town just got back to harsher measures, after almost  3 months of staying at home ans 1 month of "freedom", now everything is closing at 8pm, no gatherings bigger than 5 persons, no alcohol on the streets (and this one in particular hurts me, 'cause me and the GF love to walk around downtown with booze in our hands).. And this on top of what already was : bars and discos closed, facemask mandatory on public transportation or any indoor spaces (excepting home of course), concerts canceled (I miss a good concert ;_; now maybe only next year if we are lucky ;_;),  restaurants and coffees with maximum 1/3rd capacity, and more.

But since the number of cases went up (mostly because public transportation is PACKED every single morning, since the public transportation companies have been shrinking service instead of offering more of it and companies didn't take the gov. recommendation (it should have been an order) to implement different entry hours to avoid peak hours, and also, because a lot of young people threw gigantic parties (there was one with over 1000 people, next to a gas a stop...)...

luckily, here we don't have a big "this is all a lie" or "face masks kill" crowd, they do exist but, for now, only in small numbers... 

In the previous month, there was like 600-700 new cases each days in the province I live in Canada, most of them were centered in one specific region (Montreal) and the city where I live had like 300 cases in total. Nowadays, the rate has fallen down pretty significantly as they count like maybe 100 cases or less daily, and there was none in my region for some time now. That being said, it didn't affect us much where I am, mainly because we're in the north and not millions of people lives there and it's far easier to keep distance from them. However, I know the consequences regarding the economy will be fucking huge afterwards, which is what bothers me the most.

The black plague isn't dangerous, it'll die out in a month.

The spanish flu isn't dangerous, it'll die in a month or two.

Malaria isn't dangerous, it'll die out in a month or two.

Notice a pattern with stupid responses to deadly epidemics?