Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

under clocking

i have a old pentium system that i may use as the server, temorary of course. now the CPU is at 133mhz and on its last leg. it would never servive and overclocking. so i was wondering is it possible to buy a cheap AMD at say 600mhz+ and under clock it to 250mhz on a older mother board. i know it sounds like a wast but the chip is only 25

Underclocking is a good solution if you got nerved of the loud fan sound, because if you figure the right balance between heat and speed: A fan is needed no more! But usually old mobo's have serious problems to run newer cpu's :(

the fan on my computer doesn't bother me. i sleep perfectly fine with my computer running. i haven't turned off my computer for more than 5 minutes in the last 8-9 months. And I have a Pentium 2. The only reason why it doesn't overheat is I have 3 cooling fans in my case.

well this is a temporary system, the p133 is in terrible shape and i cant find older parts. the motherboard only goes up to 200mhz. new amd processors can use the socket and be under clocked to 200mhz. as for the p133 it has had a good long life, over 5 years old, and will have a new home in my box of computer parts

i have a old pentium system that i may use as the server, temorary of course. now the CPU is at 133mhz and on its last leg. it would never servive and overclocking. so i was wondering is it possible to buy a cheap AMD at say 600mhz+ and under clock it to 250mhz on a older mother board. i know it sounds like a wast but the chip is only 25

WHY?
Buy a new athlon system and KEEP IT!
Anyways a Ahtlon would not work in a pentium board, you must a athlon slotA or socket A it depends on the chip..

It will be the old socket7 board, may as well overclock the shit out of it and wait till it dies, then get new board, new case, as socket7 was old AT cases, thinking about it, best thing you can do is put it in your dad's car trunk, get him to park somewhere nice and dangerous, ask deadnail where he lives, and hope someone steals it, claim insurance get nice sparkly Athlon with that :)