Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spineapple tea

Most obscure Doom fact you know

Self explanatory title.

Edit as of 2022: why didn't I include my own fact when making this post? Oh well, I'm too tired to think of one now.

Edited by Spineapple tea

2 hours ago, Endless said:

The cacodemons have assholes. Hand made assholes. Pixel by pixel man, pixel by pixel.

They sure do, brother. 🤤🤤

@AtimZarr1 the fandom mentions them, but gives no article. maybe since they are watchers, they look at us, we don't look at them.

2 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

I had no idea that was even a cheat code until now :O

---------

My fact would probably be that the enemy with the longest pain animation is the Pain Elemental (12 tics). Ironic, isn't it?

Combined with the 50% pain chance, it is one of the easiest enemies in the game to pain-lock.

Edited by idbeholdME

I mean if I started telling everyone, it wouldn't be so obscure anymore, would it?

Revenants have two distinct personalities, randomly-defined at spawn. They're either Angry Dooty or Calm Dooty (names not official). Angry Dooty fires homing projectiles 75% of the time and Calm of Dooty only 25%. Also it's this that breaks demos in vanilla.

Sitting on a nukage floor with the chainsaw on, results in Doomguy's pain sound getting cut off abruptly, sounding like someone straining to expel small, lumpy, painful pellets.

Also, Doomguy's pain sound is really someone taking a dump in reverse.

The Alpha v0.4 had a legit 32K HiColor mode, and it's possible to capture it with a standard 256-color screenshot. Also it didn't look all that great.

It was, in fact, possible to use the shareware IWAD as your main IWAD with several versions of prBoom+ and ZDoom, and even DoomBuilder :-o

The automap had a weird "strobe" mode. The code to enable it is fully functional -and seizure inducing- but the only way to see it is to either compile your own port or try Mocha Doom, which has a cheat code to enable it ;-)

OK OK, you can just read it on the wiki:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Automap#Trivia

MochaDoomAutomapStrobeDemo.gif

Edited by Maes

10 hours ago, Skullhacker said:

John Romero lives in Ireland now. I know that 's kinda irrelevant, but still.

Found the hair collector!

13 hours ago, Jayextee said:

They're either Angry Dooty or Calm Dooty (names not official).

They are now.

From this day forth, all Revenants shall be referred to as Angry Dooties.

1 hour ago, Maximum Matt said:

What, he had a Pentium hooked up on a bus?? In the mid-nineties??!?  Think I'll call bullshit on that one, maybe he was exaggerating for effect.

Well, being a rockstar and all, the "bus" in question surely wasn't your average proletarian smoky commuter with seats that saw too many farts in their day, but more like a luxury RV/hotel-on-wheels, with regular mains electricity, water beds, neon lights, TVs etc. Even 90s-era gear could be accomodated, including several big-ass CRT TVs and full-size desktop computers.

1.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

In Doom I's help screens, there's a miniature screenshot showing a proper left flank view frame of Doomguy holding his rifle, that's not used in the actual game (where it's just mirrored from the right flank).

On 6/25/2020 at 5:50 PM, Maes said:

Well, being a rockstar and all, the "bus" in question surely wasn't your average proletarian smoky commuter with seats that saw too many farts in their day, but more like a luxury RV/hotel-on-wheels, with regular mains electricity, water beds, neon lights, TVs etc. Even 90s-era gear could be accomodated, including several big-ass CRT TVs and full-size desktop computers.

I dunno man, NIN were big but not that big.... if it were U2 or Mariah Carey, then, yeah, maybe.....

10 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

I dunno man, NIN were big but not that big.... if it were U2 or Mariah Carey, then, yeah, maybe.....

Big enough. I remember NIN being everywhere in the mid 90s.

Is there something specific about Trent's computer being a big honking desktop? Who's to say it wasn't just a high-end laptop?

The Downward Spiral-era NIN was gigantic.

34 minutes ago, plums said:

Is there something specific about Trent's computer being a big honking desktop? Who's to say it wasn't just a high-end laptop?

The Downward Spiral-era NIN was gigantic.

You find me a laptop in 1994 that'd have a decent-enough CPU, RAM, and screen to run Doom well...

Remember: 386DX/486DX territory, at least 4 (if not 6-8) MB of RAM, a screen that does 256 colors, and doesn't ghost to all hell and back.

I think those would be more of a 1995-1996 thing. (Though by then the CPUs are probably Pentiums.)

@Dark Pulse It's a bit hard to source 1994 laptops currently, but I'm pretty sure one that could play Doom would have existed. It would be expensive, but probably no more so than setting up a desktop in a tour bus.

Also, why couldn't it have been a B&W laptop with awful ghosting and a bad frame rate? If he was hooked enough to prefer Doom to sex and drugs, he was probably willing to take whatever he could get :)

7 minutes ago, plums said:

@Dark Pulse It's a bit hard to source 1994 laptops currently, but I'm pretty sure one that could play Doom would have existed. It would be expensive, but probably no more so than setting up a desktop in a tour bus.

Also, why couldn't it have been a B&W laptop with awful ghosting and a bad frame rate? If he was hooked enough to prefer Doom to sex and drugs, he was probably willing to take whatever he could get :)

256-color fast 3D graphics, and you're gonna play it on some shitty 2-bit screen that ghosts like hell and produces a chonker framerate over getting a desktop that can play it better in living color for equal or less money? :P

@Dark Pulse Again, tour bus. Not having been a millionaire rockstar in the mid-90s myself sadly, I can't say which is more expensive/feasible. I just think that, through some means, it's quite likely that Trent Reznor was indeed playing Doom while on tour.

Anyhow, time for some more obscure Heretic stuff. I posted my most obscure Heretic fact in a different thread, but here's another one.

In Heretic, you can have floors that move the player, but only the ones that move East will scroll the floor texture, and only some textures are used for when they scroll. Why?

Well, the way that Raven coded the moving animated floors was to basically draw the flat starting at some position (based on the current level time in tics) not at the beginning of the flat. Because of this, the engine would reach the end of the flat lump before it had drawn all it had needed to, and would produce a tutti-frutti type effect. To avoid this, certain flats that were meant to scroll are actually 64x65 pixels large, so that there's some extra data to fill the draw routine.

OK, but why only East? Because the way that they did it, scrolling East only requires a 64x65 flat to avoid tutti-frutti, but scrolling in other directions would require more data! So I guess they decided that the disk space from the extra pixels wouldn't be worth it. In Hexen, they "fixed" this by having all flats that are meant to scroll actually be 64x128 instead!

The 1%-ers and Richer-Than-Thou rockstars couldn't care less about your puny mortals' lack of knowledge (or denial) about tour buses, groupies and related accessories. Dream on about such things not existing, you plebs....dream on...

19 minutes ago, plums said:

@Dark Pulse Again, tour bus. Not having been a millionaire rockstar in the mid-90s myself sadly, I can't say which is more expensive/feasible. I just think that, through some means, it's quite likely that Trent Reznor was indeed playing Doom while on tour.

Yeah, and my point was that if he's got a tour bus and the cash, the dude was almost certainly not getting a half-assed experience on a laptop unless it was desktop-level specs - and even then, why needlessly spend all sorts of extra money to save weight? :P

I guess we could always ask Trent himself, though who knows if we'd get a reply?