• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

Doom: Hell on Earth 3.5

Sin – Part 5

-

The wooden door bore hellish images of demonic faces and distorted skulls. Back on Deimos, this sight would have filled me with dread, but I had seen too much death and beheld too many nightmarish sights to be intimidated now.

I glared at the door for a moment, then bent over and raided the dead former human soldier that I had just killed.

The demons had gathered some ammunition within this fortress so that the biomechanical terrors in their ranks were well supplied. Possessed humans were also posted inside this fortress as guards, once again revealing that the demon intelligence that drove these fearsome horrors was not to be underestimated.

I opened the door and was instantly greeted with growls and hisses. I was looking into a short hallway made of rusty metal plates. The hallway ended in an enormous hall. In front of a small group of imps stood a former human commando with his chain gun. I sent a wide spread of pellets into the group, opening up the commando like a tin can, killing an imp and wounding another.

The wounded imp snarled and hurled a fireball at me. Because the demon was in pain, its aim was quite off and the fireball slammed into the ground in front of my feet, leaving a scorched mark on the floor from where steam and smoke rose. I whipped out my sidearm and finished it off, pleased that I killed it slowly and painfully the way I felt all these bastards deserved.

Two more imps rushed into the short hallway, but I blew both of them away with a well-aimed blast from the combat shotgun. Now the area seemed clear, but I wasn’t calm.

I slowly stepped closer. In the center of the huge hall, were two large metal blocks composed of the same rusty metal as the walls of the hallway and the walls in the hall. For such a large room, it seemed odd that there were so few enemies. Normally, the demons would be packed close together in such large halls except if there had recently been a large battle. But there was no sign of a recently ended battle.

The stench was foul in here but I was used to that by now. My eyes, narrow and cold, darted back and forth.
I smell...a nasty trap

I took an uncertain step forward.

The two huge metal blocks suddenly began to sink into the ground, revealing that they were actually platforms housing two huge demons; A large mechanical, four-legged body with an enormous brain that had an evil, slightly skeletal face resting on it and a towering giant of a goatish demon with a biomechanical right leg and a large mechanical crane ending in a large metal box with a barrel for a left arm – A Spider demon Mastermind and a Cyber demon lord, the two most powerful demons from Hell.

Both roared and howled at me in unison. Their terrible voices shook the very fabric of my mind and I let out a both surprised and painful yell. Both started firing even before the twin platforms had lowered completely and I dove into cover behind the solid metal walls. Heavy shells and anti-personnel rockets ripped into the wall. The sounds were terrifying, but thankfully, the wall was still whole.

I had to do something fast or these two super demons would slowly, but steadily rip the walls apart, leaving me without cover. I checked my ammunition. I was for once well stocked with just about all I needed, so that wasn’t the problem. My main problem was that Spider brain freak with it’s powerful autocannon, because it could rip me apart as soon as I showed even one of my fingertips in its view, but the environment here didn’t leave me with many good combat advantages against the Cyber demon and its brainy companion either as there was no cover in there – the towering cyber goat would be able to shot a spray of rockets both in front of me as well as behind me, hurting me with the rocket shrapnel.

I could divert their attention like I had done against the first Spider Mastermind during my last visit in Hell, but that wouldn’t do much good here because there were two powerful monsters strong enough to survive a direct hit from my most destructive weapon. I looked at an energy cell pack containing five energy cell charges and suddenly a bright idea hit me like a brick.
I had been taught how energy cells could be rendered highly unstable and explosive by removing certain contamination seals in the charges. With a little work, I could rig a detonator to the pack and turn it into a highly destructive bomb.

My hands moving feverishly, I hurriedly took out the charges, carefully removed the seals and inserting the charges back into the pack. Then I made a homemade detonator from a few things in my equipment together with a hand grenade and slapped it onto the pack. The two terrors in the large hall were busy shooting away at the walls near me. I could hear how the metal was torn apart, but I focused my concentration on the device.

Now I had a homemade plasma bomb. I activated the detonator without delay. I had made it so that it would go off in roughly ten seconds. I swiftly ripped out a grenade from one of my utility bags and hurled it into the great hall. I heard how it exploded and I heard how the Spider brain monster swung its gun turret around and started firing.
I leapt into view and hurled the pack as far as I could, happy that energy cell charges were surprisingly light and leapt back into cover when both monsters turned their attention back towards me.

A powerful explosion shook the building and sent me to the ground. Rocks and debris fell from the ceiling, scattering onto the floor. I heard the screams and roars of the two monsters, but they were still alive.

When the rain of debris had stopped, I crawled to my feet, panting after breath, and cautiously peeked into the large hall. What a sight!
Two of the Spider Mastermind’s legs were gone and the brain itself was only halfway alive – its bulletproof glass shield ripped apart. Blood flowed in heavy streams from a huge wound in the left side of its head. Its chain gun cannon had been blown off and was no threat anymore.

The cyber demon was ripped in half, both its organic and its mechanical leg gone, its torso had survived the powerful blast. I could see the wires and intestines wiggle around from under its belly, sparks leaping from the severed wires. I pulled out the rocket launcher, shouldered it and ended the evil lives of the two powerful demon lords.

Wiping the sweat from my forehead, I looked at what had been behind the two monsters.

I stared in awe. Before me was a swirling vortex of twisting purple and red light. It was almost like there was a hole directly in the air and in that hole, odd energies were swirling around in a confusing pattern. I was certain that looking at that for too long would drive a man insane.
I knew what I saw.

The gate! I had at long last found the rift to Hell.

I looked around, but there was no sign of machinery powering the rift gate and when I thought about it, it should have been obvious. The demons had arrived here. How, I didn’t know, but something had allowed them to open a connection to Earth from Hell. I swore.

I felt how my entire body was sore. I had fought for days, with a bit of rest here and there, but recently I had fought hard and with next to no breaks, so I was tired and I did not like the idea of going back to Hell once more.

Just then, there was a bright flash that briefly bathed the entire area in a bright, white light. The flash was followed by a deafening thunderclap. I looked around and noticed the sky.

The sky!

The sky was orange, yet it was beginning to become as red as blood just over this demon citadel. The swirling clouds over the citadel were moving faster and I could see that the dark “eye” in the middle of this whirlpool of clouds was getting even darker – almost as if it was an opening into the void of darkness itself. I had to hurry.

I faced the rift once more, clenched my teeth and stepped right into the confusing vortex of lights, with one thought: What will I care if I have to wade through Hell to shut down this rift if these bastards are turning Earth into Hell!?

-

I fall. Confusing flashes swirl all around me as I fall. I see long forgotten faces all around me. They stare at me with a dead look in their haggard faces. Souls of the Dead!
I see the Demons!
Demons surround me. I know what is going to happen, I’ve tried it all before, and I clench my teeth hard, awaiting the pain. The horrific shapes charge me.

I feel their claws, their teeth, their saliva on my arms. I am powerless and can only twist and turn in blood curling agony as they tear away at me. I feel how life slowly ebbs out of my body. Then I see or feel no more.

Only darkness.

-

I opened my eyes, but instantly wished that I had kept them closed.

Before me stretched a large plane of torment. Of death and decay. Of horror and dread. Of pain and agony.

I had seen this before, but this sight was impossible to get used to. Hell was such a horrid sight to behold that it instantly drained even the boldest and craziest person of all courage.

Before me loomed an enormous fortress of black bones and burnt flesh. Looking around, I saw no sign of any device that kept the rift behind me open. The voices in my head became stronger than ever before now. They filled my mind, calling to me, screaming at me, accusing me. Dread filled my mind together with the voices and for a while I just stood there, paralyzed with fear.

Then I looked at the evil Hell fortress in front of me. Somewhere in my mind I had a feeling that what I was looking for was within that very fortress. I gritted my teeth and let out a low snarl.

I’ve beaten Hell before, I can do it again!

Reminding myself of my previous encounter with Hell itself, I felt a rock steady determination enter my body. I would not surrender my soul to the demons of Hell, for I had cheated Hell before. I promised myself that I would wipe out every demon residing within that fortress. That I would tear the building itself apart if necessary until I found the source of the rift that allowed the demons to ruin my world.

I started moving toward the huge black building. Evil eyes stared down at me from within the many holes in the outer walls of the fortress and the very building itself seemed to despise me. But I was determined to not let anything stand in my way.

I like, DSM. How appropriate that the writing is in first-person just as the game was. I just read this one of yours, so it's a novel idea in my eyes. Keep it up, I strongly approve. :)

OMG 133t 4\/\/3S0m w4r|< D5|\/|!!11!11
lol

Little question though:

I smell...a nasty trap

Why there is no punctuation at the end?

Mr. NobodX said:

OMG 133t 4\/\/3S0m w4r|< D5|\/|!!11!11
lol

Little question though:

Why there is no punctuation at the end?

Because it's his thoughts - just as if he was saying it and you don't put punctuation at the end when it's something a character is saying. Like: "I smell...a nasty trap" He said.

How come there's no encounter with the arch-vile or the revenents in the exit building?

For that matter, how come there's no exit building at all?

Insomniac said:

How come there's no encounter with the arch-vile or the revenents in the exit building?

For that matter, how come there's no exit building at all?

Could it be because I'm not staying 100% true to the Doom 2 levels?
/Me nods.

Hey, what happening with 3.6? :)

BTW, my comment about the "nasty trap" was because i find it akward to end a sentence without any punctuation. Oh well, the brackets were a nice idea IMO

Mr. NobodX said:

Hey, what happening with 3.6? :)

I haven't been home for like a week now - go figure :-)

dsm said:

I haven't been home for like a week now - go figure :-)

Heh. But did you wrote something, or at least got some ideas? I WANT 3.6 GODDAMNIT!!/$%/$!| :)

Mr. NobodX said:

Heh. But did you wrote something, or at least got some ideas? I WANT 3.6 GODDAMNIT!!/$%/$!| :)

It'll be released pretty soon...
...when my work of reading+commenting on all the fan fics I've missed in this week is done.