Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BladeWolf

Good slaughtermaps to play on Nightmare?

So, I'm technically new to the whole Doom series, starting with Doom 2016, but then i worked my way up to know more of the franchise quick and got the OG games, so I'm a little recent to know terms like slaughtermaps and whatnot. So, since I'm the kind of guy to just jump to the highest difficulty and still perform pretty well, I might as well like some good slaughtermap suggestions for Ultra Violence or Nightmare. I haven't really got much to the idgames archive either, so it's about time i picked up speed.

Slaughterfest 2011-2012-3, Sunder, No Chance, Sunlust*, Scythe 2*, and others that I can't remember now, but someone else will suggest.

*only the final maps are real slaughter.

It should be noted that Nightmare is not widely considered to be a feasible difficulty setting as it was designed to be unfair. I especially recommend not playing slaughtermaps on this setting unless you like endless suffering. 

20 hours ago, BladeWolf said:

So, I'm technically new to the whole Doom series, starting with Doom 2016, but then i worked my way up to know more of the franchise quick and got the OG games, so I'm a little recent to know terms like slaughtermaps and whatnot. So, since I'm the kind of guy to just jump to the highest difficulty and still perform pretty well, I might as well like some good slaughtermap suggestions for Ultra Violence or Nightmare. I haven't really got much to the idgames archive either, so it's about time i picked up speed.

youre-gonna-nstructc-hateabadtime-135922

Makes sense that you'd want to play on Nightmare if you're coming from Doom 2016, but Nightmare in the old games is pretty goofy---I wouldn't recommend it. ;) Especially on slaughter and challenge maps, Nightmare won't always be possible and is usually only played in tightly-routed speedruns.

Yeah none of the well-known slaughtermaps/wads (as far as I know) were built with nightmare in mind. UltraViolence is usually the definitive highest difficulty to play on for slaughtermaps.

Sunder MAP32. A huge, dark, haunted and swampy place with gardens and a mansion. There are a ridiculous amount of monsters including 46 Cyberdemons and the music by Eris Falling is outstanding.

Edited by pcorf

5 minutes ago, BladeWolf said:

Have been playing Doom since 6. 

I thought you started with Doom 2016? Either way, Nightmare is not a difficulty you want to play on. It might be a walk in the park in Doom 2016, but in vanilla Doom it is literally a joke difficulty. Maps aren't tested on it nor are they designed for it, and it has lots of... infuriating differences between it and Ultra Violence, which is effectively the "hard" difficulty. On Nightmare, monsters are faster and respawn. You shouldn't need me to explain why this is a complete and total bitch, especially when chaingunners exist. You're better off playing on UV.

Rush is a good start.
Once you get the hang of it, go with something more hectic like Speed of Doom and Hell Revealed series.
Then go play Sunder and Deus Vult.

I also want to say that Nightmare in Doom 1/2 is not the same as Nightmare/Ultra Nightmare in Doom 4.

It is literally a joke difficulty here (as the warning implies) - monsters have faster reflexes, can respawn and whatnot.

But I do recommend playing on UV with certain aspects of Nightmare using command line parameters like 

-fast (enemies become faster and so are the (enemies') projectiles)
-respawn (enemies respawn after a certain time, not in the same spot)

1 hour ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

What do slaughtermaps mean and are there just one single map wads? Not megawad?

Slaughtermaps are a kind of wad (megawad, set of levels or single level, it doesn't matter), in which there is a huge amount of monsters in the majority of encounters. Anybody please correct me if i'm wrong or if i skipped any information at all.

2 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

What do slaughtermaps mean and are there just one single map wads? Not megawad?

Basically, slaughter is this:

You've already got the right answers: that Nightmare isn't what you might expect it to be, coming from Doom 2016, and that this NM doesn't play well with slaughtermaps. 

But if anyone really wants slaughtermaps that have proven completeable on that setting, I'd go with Scythe e3 (some involve trick skips) and Phmlspd. For something extra spicy, several Sunder maps have pretty difficult but doable NM routes (this is even after nu-Sunder patches some skips). Valiant's flagship slaughtermap is NM-beatable. Probably just play Valiant or Ancient Aliens or any megawad with slaughter-lite elements rather than full-on slaughter, because you'd probably find that a better time on NM anyway. :P