Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

MAYhem: 2020 Edition - On Idgames!

Beta 1.1 is live!

• This version is a single wad file containing every single map: maps past the main 32 are accessible in ZDoom-derived source ports via the episode selection.
  • The maps are in the order that I posted a few days ago, with some suggestions from @Horus (cheers man).
  • MAP31 and MAP32 currently need to be warped to on account of there being no secret exit set up on MAP15 yet: @RonnieJamesDiner, would you be all good with squeezing a secret exit into your map please?
  • MAP43 is currently not possible to complete in the current iteration of the mapset: it is my understanding that @TheNoob_Gamer is constructing a ZDoom version that will replicate the intended effects in his map, which will be included once it is done.
  • This version is not final: there's some graphical work that I need to tidy up, as well as a harebrained story for the intermission texts. If there's anything at all in this compilation that you think is out of place or could be improved, please let me know.

38 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

it is my understanding that @TheNoob_Gamer is constructing a ZDoom version that will replicate the intended effects in his map, which will be included once it is done

Unfortunately, due to time constraints and real life events, I will only be able to produce a Dehacked-based version of the map instead, that hopefully will be compatible with ZDoom-based ports as well. 

My apologies, if the map turned out to be completely rejected in the final build.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

I am really liking the mapping order, so far. Excellent job to everyone and their hard work!

@Obsidian Not to be 'that' guy, but my map still uses the music track heard in older release candidates. My latest version (v1.5) should contain the new track. Sorry for the inconvenience.

17 hours ago, blinds1ght said:

@Arno I appreciate the honest feedback and completely understand. I'll aim for something more substantial if I get around to working on other maps. I already have some ideas. :)

In retrospective, my feedback was too short, but at that time I found it difficult to figure out what could have improved my playthrough. Now that I've seen the playthrough of Horus, I realize that I kind of cheated my way out of the first battle by just running straight over the heads of the monsters towards the teleporter. Made possible by the lack of infinite height in GZDoom. The second battle was engaging and I played it as intended. In the final battle there was so much plasma ammo available, that it became a matter of firing the BFG repeatedly from a safe distance until all monsters were down (ITYTD).

I just gave the map a proper second chance, this time PRBoomPlus on HMP. I'm still the kind of player that likes to explore a bit more, but nevertheless I can confirm that the combat was significantly more fun compared to my first playthrough.

@Obsidian I appreciate it that you've put my map in slot 06, mirroring the map slot that the original Pain Manor had in 10sectors.wad. Assuming that it wasn't a coincidence. :)

Edited by Arno

1 hour ago, Arno said:

@Obsidian I appreciate it that you've put my map in slot 06, mirroring the map slot that the original Pain Manor had in 10sectors.wad. Assuming that it wasn't a coincidence. :)

Heh, it was definitely intentional: I figured it'd be a nice little nod to the original project. :)

Also the mapset has been updated!

• Added the new music for MAP10.
  • Updated MAP39 to the most recent version.
  • Updated MAP15 with the secret exit.
  • Removed MAP43 from the maplist: it is my understanding that any DeHackEd changes would likely be applied to other maps in the set due to the nature of how DeHackEd works, so I don't think it'd be tenable. Apologies @TheNoob_Gamer. :/

2 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

@Obsidian So, about mine, should I turn the alternative exit into secret exit? And, should there be any death exits (in my map) in your opinion? 

I kind of already turned your second exit into a secret one. :P As for putting a death exit in your map, that could be a good idea for the sake of continuous play: what does everyone else think?

I think that for continuous play, successful completion of secret levels should provide a benefit to the player, not a penalty, so personally I don't think there should be any death exits on galileo's map

1 hour ago, Obsidian said:

Removed MAP43 from the maplist

Well, guess it's gone for good then - The map would be too confusing to other players otherwise (as shown in NoisyVelvet's demo) and I won't have an opportunity to actually fix it any time soon. I hope everyone else enjoy the set!

5 minutes ago, TheV1perK1ller said:

That is a shame @TheNoob_Gamer. I quite liked the uniqueness of your submission.

Yeah, I thought the same. Really that sort of setup needs its own mapset to adequately show it off and I'd encourage TheNoob_Gamer to explore it further, because it's honestly really cool. Of course I'd be willing to add it back to the compilation if someone can make a decent facsimile in ZDoom or if enough people support two wad files in the final release instead of one.

There will be 19 levels in this ?, 7 is a bit of stupidity as you can't kill your opponents and you can't get out of the lava which is quite frustrating.

One thought: GZDoom 4.2.0 released in August last year added the ability to include the map's author in the ZMAPINFO file, like how Eternity does.  It uses 

Author = "<name>"

For CPs like this, it's probably worth including.

Also, for my map (Map12), its ZMAPINFO entry needs compat_missileclip = 1 in to ensure the Cybbies play the same on ZDoom source ports as older ones.

10 hours ago, Bauul said:

One thought: GZDoom 4.2.0 released in August last year added the ability to include the map's author in the ZMAPINFO file, like how Eternity does.  It uses 

Author = "<name>"

For CPs like this, it's probably worth including.

Only potential problem with using that feature is that older versions of (G)ZDoom may refuse to boot up trying to parse the ZMAPINFO lump, since the "author" keyword isn't recognized and it will thus error out. But I could be wrong.

On 6/23/2020 at 1:59 AM, Obsidian said:

Yeah, I thought the same. Really that sort of setup needs its own mapset to adequately show it off and I'd encourage TheNoob_Gamer to explore it further, because it's honestly really cool. Of course I'd be willing to add it back to the compilation if someone can make a decent facsimile in ZDoom or if enough people support two wad files in the final release instead of one.

If @TheNoob_Gamer describes what is needed, someone with ACS skill could maybe pick it up.

25 minutes ago, damo2k said:

If @TheNoob_Gamer describes what is needed, someone with ACS skill could maybe pick it up.

At the moment

-The barrel at spawn strips entirely the player's inventory and make him completely ignored by enemies unless regain health through health packs or bonuses.

That's about it I think.

Sounds like an ENTER script that uses SetActorProperty(0, APROP_NoTarget, 1) and calls ClearInventory() would cover the first part, and then you can either have it looping until the player health changes, where it then removes that property, or have every health item have an action special that runs a script that runs SetActorProperty(0, APROP_NoTarget, 0) would do.

I can give that a go later today or early tomorrow, I imagine, if that's not enough to go on.

EDIT: I've just had a look at the map in question and seen that you also have your health reduced to zero. I'm not sure how GZDoom will take you setting the player health to zero, but it's certainly doable. If that's no good, setting to 1% is functionally the same, I reckon.

EDIT2: Working on it and setting player health to 0 does indeed kill you outright, so 1% it is! now to get it so that the NoTarget property actually works, as that line I posted up there doesn't achieve anything...

EDIT3: Yeah, that NoTarget flag must only work for monsters or something. I'd assumed it was like the "notarget" console command, but evidently not. The obvious alternative is to make every enemy dormant and have them lose that when the player goes over 1% health. So I'll be back shortly with that implemented as a script, if possible.

EDIT4: Fuck it, I don't know how to iterate through every Thing in a map at startup to pick out the monsters and implement them, so I'll just come back with an edited copy of the map instead. Has to be easier than trying to an ACS-only approach!

Edited by Phobus

1 hour ago, Phobus said:

Sounds like an ENTER script that uses SetActorProperty(0, APROP_NoTarget, 1) and calls ClearInventory() would cover the first part, and then you can either have it looping until the player health changes, where it then removes that property, or have every health item have an action special that runs a script that runs SetActorProperty(0, APROP_NoTarget, 0) would do.

I can give that a go later today or early tomorrow, I imagine, if that's not enough to go on.

EDIT: I've just had a look at the map in question and seen that you also have your health reduced to zero. I'm not sure how GZDoom will take you setting the player health to zero, but it's certainly doable. If that's no good, setting to 1% is functionally the same, I reckon.

EDIT2: Working on it and setting player health to 0 does indeed kill you outright, so 1% it is! now to get it so that the NoTarget property actually works, as that line I posted up there doesn't achieve anything...

EDIT3: Yeah, that NoTarget flag must only work for monsters or something. I'd assumed it was like the "notarget" console command, but evidently not. The obvious alternative is to make every enemy dormant and have them lose that when the player goes over 1% health. So I'll be back shortly with that implemented as a script, if possible.

Do you see any coop implications with this script?

Not from a starting perspective, as an "enter" script works for every player that starts the map, so they'll all get hit with the same thing. The only "implication" from my current idea is that everybody gets punished if any player fucks up and picks up health when they weren't supposed to.

6 minutes ago, Phobus said:

Not from a starting perspective, as an "enter" script works for every player that starts the map, so they'll all get hit with the same thing. The only "implication" from my current idea is that everybody gets punished if any player fucks up and picks up health when they weren't supposed to.

That could be fun, but also could cause some hilarious trolling.

It's possible to make the monsters `friendly` also. I'm not sure if its intended that the monsters are wandering around @TheNoob_Gamer

Here's a ZDoom version

I've grabbed @TheNoob_Gamer's latest individual version of the WAD (so it's on MAP01 @Obsidian) converted it to Hexen format, tagged all enemies tag 1 and the barrel tag 2. All enemies are also flagged "dormant" at map start. There is now the following ACS script attached to the map (as well as the usual #include):

script 2020 ENTER{
	Thing_Remove(2);

SetActorProperty(0, APROP_Health, 1);
	ClearInventory();

while (GetActorProperty(0, APROP_Health) == 1) {
		delay(1);
	}

Thing_Activate(1);
}

This is now not compatible with Boom, but "Doom format" ZDoom doesn't have the "dormant" flag or Thing Tagging, so we're at an impasse here. The LOADACS approach didn't work for me because I don't know of a way to iterate through all Things on map start-up and pick out the enemies to then manipulate. I've not tried ZScript, as I'm totally unfamiliar with it. I suspect that is powerful enough to do the iteration and manipulation method, though.

@damo2k The monsters are stationary in prboom+ until you have health. Flagging them dormant recreates that, as does the "notarget" console cheat.

The map itself only seems to have two player starts anyway, so I've no idea how co-op compatible it really is. I also don't know what happens when two players play the base version.

I'm guessing what Obsidian would need to do is keep the base version in the map set for non-ZDoom players and then have ZMAPINFO point to this version of the map (which would need to use a non sequential map lump name) instead.

5 minutes ago, Phobus said:

so I've no idea how co-op compatible it really is.

In coop, the premise is one fully healthy and well-armed player guide the other disabled player. Don't work well with 4 players afaik.

I feel like that's even more at odds with the rest of set than initially thought. However, as things stand, the experiences between Boom and ZDoom ports are different. I can certainly make it so that only only player one gets crippled, but in the usual sort of multiplayer settings these sets are subjected to, you'll have way more than two players.

7 hours ago, MFG38 said:

Only potential problem with using that feature is that older versions of (G)ZDoom may refuse to boot up trying to parse the ZMAPINFO lump, since the "author" keyword isn't recognized and it will thus error out. But I could be wrong.

In my experience, it just logs as an error in the console (unknown keyword or whatever it was). The maps remained playable though. 

8 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

In my experience, it just logs as an error in the console (unknown keyword or whatever it was). The maps remained playable though. 

Alright, I stand corrected in that case.

I noticed that the track for my map is the old fade in/fade out version. If you check my newest version you'll find one that loops better. Thanks!