Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hypoactive

I fucking HATE self-depricating jokes

I fucking hate them so much. Like, you're not funny for making fun of yourself. I'm saying that it's bad to laugh at yourself. Like if someone makes a joke at your expense, and you find it funny, then it's good to laugh at that. But like whenever you make a joke saying something stupid like "I am the retard lmao xdxdxdxd funny laugh time" nobody's laughing. It comes off as either 1. a bad attempt to be relatable or 2. a really bad joke. I've always noticed that self-deprivation always happens shortly after someone makes a hot take. I have a theory that it's subliminally done by people, like it's instinctive as to give a cover of "humbleness" so in case people (inevitably) disagree with their hot take, they can immediately hide behind a curtain of "humbleness" to prevent people critiquing and questioning their take from seeming genuine and having a point. Or maybe I'm some salty boomer who just can't get with the times. I dunno.

You seem pretty passionate with your hatred towards this. may I ask what kind of event led you to make this post? Did this thought just pop into your head at complete random or did something happen to inspire you enough to publicly state this

I mean it really all depends. Like any form of comedy, it's about how you use it. Personally, I find the worst type of offender are those who use self-deprecation to bludgeon any sense of accountability for their shitty actions. Otherwise, it can be really funny when done right.

3 hours ago, Rackevin said:

You seem pretty passionate with your hatred towards this. may I ask what kind of event led you to make this post? Did this thought just pop into your head at complete random or did something happen to inspire you enough to publicly state this

it happened at random lmao

25 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

I mean it really all depends. Like any form of comedy, it's about how you use it. Personally, I find the worst type of offender are those who use self-deprecation to bludgeon any sense of accountability for their shitty actions. Otherwise, it can be really funny when done right.

yeah, i mean i say i hate it but really i agree with you more than anything

They used to be mostly fine to substandard, until certain demographics used them for colloquial interaction (usually on the internet) and benefited a lot from mental health/illness issues, where they started bothering me too.

1 hour ago, Biodegradable said:

Essentially. When they're done right they're good, like any form of comedy or entertainment, when taken to the extreme and you're literally shitting on yourself as a result, you might have some issues.

Says me, someone who unironically hates himself. Plot twist.

Being able to laugh at yourself is actually something that I feel is an important quality to have.

Clearly there's a bit of a difference between someone who just constantly plays up how dumb they are versus someone who's like "Whoops, well fuck, I'm a dumbass" when they didn't notice something. Smart people know how to use it so that it's ACTUALLY funny, while less smart people don't have any idea how to use it and make it overstay its welcome.

Really, it's just all down to perception and making sure that your humor is actually a bit surprising and not just "Yeah, yeah, we know you're a dumbass."

-- Yours truly,

An Unintelligent Blond Polack

Man, I used to LOVE self-deprecating jokes. It was one of my main ways of coping. But I never realized until recently that I was actually hurting myself with them. Obviously, I don't want to be that guy to tell people to change their lifestyle for the greater good; however, it does really help to stop making these jokes. Try and be kind to yourself, don't hold yourself to impossible standards or beating yourself up for making a small mistake. That's what I personally think about self-deprecating jokes, just ignore them. Respect yourself.

I tend to joke only at the expense of people I like and respect OR people I hate, so self-depreciating humor is a perfect fit for it :D

Not in a defense mechanism kinda way, but I do like to joke around and if I am the easiest / best target, I'll shoot.

Count me in as being resolutely against self-depreciating jokes. They're about as useless as I am.

1 hour ago, Scorpius said:

Man, I used to LOVE self-deprecating jokes. It was one of my main ways of coping. But I never realized until recently that I was actually hurting myself with them. Obviously, I don't want to be that guy to tell people to change their lifestyle for the greater good; however, it does really help to stop making these jokes. Try and be kind to yourself, don't hold yourself to impossible standards or beating yourself up for making a small mistake. That's what I personally think about self-deprecating jokes, just ignore them. Respect yourself.

People who make self-deprecating jokes don't necessarily disrespect themselves.

Unless you're Rodney Dangerfield. Then you don't respect yourself either.

9 hours ago, hypoactive said:

self-deprivation

Ok, I thought your spelling in the topic was just slightly off, but this is outright stupid. It means something completely different than the rest of your rambling. Heck, even my English isn't as worthless and despicable as yours, and I'm a dirty Slav living in the center of the end of the world. Then again, I'm not a boomer, so hatred towards self-reflection wasn't systematically instilled into me and I can see why being able to make fun of yourself helps bursting the narcissistic ego bubble.

Am I balancing the inward and outward hatred right, senpai?

you can't love yourself if you can't make fun of yourself. Self-deprecating (which my dad once called self-defecating) humor is one of the best humors there are, because then people get a better understanding of yourself. I say it is one of the best types of jokes there are. 

7 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

People who make self-deprecating jokes don't necessarily disrespect themselves.

Hm... 🤔

To be serious, I do believe self-deprecating jokes are a low-hanging fruit and I do try to put a lid on it, but sometimes I just can't help myself, like ITT.

On 6/24/2020 at 10:40 AM, hypoactive said:

Or maybe I'm some salty boomer who just can't get with the times. I dunno.

Hit the nail right on the head on this one.