Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BBQgiraffe

Coronavirus pandemic chat [no medical advice plz]

what's your thoughts on the Coronavirus?  

259 members have voted

1. 1. how concerned are you about the Coronavirus?

• it's nothing to worry about
    • it's not that dangerous
    • it's a bit concerning
    • this is rather alarming
    • this could lead to disaster
    • this could lead to disaster and world governments are being idiots about it
    • Walking Dead but not as cool
    • I don't care

Besides, we barely managed to hit 50%+ recovery during the current month of June, it will take another around 3-6 months to get rid of this disease and even then, there's no guarantee that we will be getting rid of this disease by then, especially since it will be winter by then.

This thing could be over anywhere between next month or bleed over into 2021 and beyond. This might be the new "normal" for quite some time. Even though we've made it through mass-scale pandemics in the past, none of them have been as cataclysmic as what we're currently experiencing with COVID-19. While we have a hundred years worth of advancement in medical science since the last one, we still have so much left to learn about how it spreads and we have no idea how long it'd take to synthesis a vaccine or a cure. We've never had a global pandemic before, so we're experiencing a rather chaotic chapter of history right now.

24 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

This thing could be over anywhere between next month or bleed over into 2021 and beyond. This might be the new "normal" for quite some time. Even though we've made it through mass-scale pandemics in the past, none of them have been as cataclysmic as what we're currently experiencing with COVID-19. While we have a hundred years worth of advancement in medical science since the last one, we still have so much left to learn about how it spreads and we have no idea how long it'd take to synthesis a vaccine or a cure. We've never had a global pandemic before, so we're experiencing a rather chaotic chapter of history right now.

There have been a lot of worse, global pandemics in the past and the societal adjustments were all temporary until the threat had passed, besides perhaps things like better hand washing practices.

4 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

We've never had a global pandemic before, so we're experiencing a rather chaotic chapter of history right now.

Uh, you should probably know that AIDS is a global pandemic.

3 hours ago, insertwackynamehere said:

There have been a lot of worse, global pandemics in the past and the societal adjustments were all temporary until the threat had passed, besides perhaps things like better hand washing practices. 

Fair point. They really did a good job making it the hidden pandemic. Anyways, this thing sucks and we're in for a rough couple of years, I feel.

AIDS is nothing like CoV or flu-like pandemics because it is nowhere nearly as contagious. So while it required some permanent adjustments to the way people behave, it mostly affected only very specific scenarios, as it is only in those scenarios you can contract HIV. You won't get it from somebody sneezing on you or breathing next to you, or from touching a contaminated surface with your hands.

14 hours ago, hypoactive said:

I don't give a fuck. Nobody here's been practicing corona shit, and literally nobody here has had it. I don't know a soul IRL who got the virus, and I don't see people coughing their lungs out.

You can have Corona without you knowing it. That's the funny thing about it, you can actively spread it without you being aware or showcasing symptoms. It goes through aerosols, and microscopical droplets.

I know you don't give a fuck, but in this case, it might be wise that you do. Just because you don't have it (Without any confirmation?), you don't see anyone who has it and you don't visually see people exhibit symptoms of it, like coughing their lungs out (In which case: Why are these people even outside?) does not mean its not there.

Don't assert the same position as tennis player Novak Djokovic who (Amongst stating he does not like vaccines, which really didn't do well for his image) hosted his own tennis tournament and flagrantly ignored every precaution in the rule book and having people dance and hang out and now he and 3 other tennissers have contracted COVID-19.

14 hours ago, hypoactive said:

If Corona is so global, it should be here en-masse. We should not be an exception, this is a semi-major city and economic center. If Corona is such a pandemic, I should have it by now or at least had it.

It happens worldwide, the infection rate is rather high, and (relatively) the mortality rate is what, 2%? That's still quite high. If you are questioning why the mortality rate is so low but you also question how dangerous it is, then i would gladly invite you to have walk along the ICU's from people who are seriously suffering from COVID-19. What you will find there is something you never would want to contract yourself.  Even though you are less likely to get that ill if you are in the 20-50 ages, that does not mean it can be a strain to your immune system.

Please don't take it lightly.

13 hours ago, hypoactive said:

Idk man, ever since like... at some point science was less an uh esoteric(?) search for knowledge and for the betterment of humanity, and at some point it just became a tool for control.

I don't know what sources you are reading but the concept of science is still about knowing more about ourself, the world around us and the universe through new theories and putting these into practice in a repeated fashion.

What you are referring to, is perhaps political infused factology that has little to do with science whatsoever and more with what works to influence a nation full of people. These aren't the same things.

13 hours ago, hypoactive said:

With that being said, I don't have any evidence that there's an ulterior motive, but I sure as hell know that nobody here has it, regardless of the lack of care my entire community has had to corona prevention measures.

Nobody practices social distancing or masks, nobody is coughing up a storm, nobody I know, and nobody they know has corona (And that's at least 1000+ people) so excuse me if i question the validity that corona is gonna end the world.

So you question the validity of the dangers of COVID-19 but you then say you don't have any evidence that there is an ulterior motive at work. You are aware that this significantly weakens whatever argument you were presenting right?

Your government should be responsible for a decent communication channel regarding corona, and take measurements appropiately. If in your country nothing is done and/or data is not presented/the government ignores the existence of COVID-19 existing, then that's on your government. You as an individual are perfectly capable to rationalize that this is a a strange development if most other countries do take measurements.

45 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Fair point. They really did a good job making it the hidden pandemic.

Who exactly is the ''they'' that did a good job making AIDS the hidden pandemic?

Why are india's coronavirus numbers so low if this is such an issue?

literally 0.03% in one of the most densely populated countries in the world.

If anything, trust them. Not the super-authoritarian and borderline secretive country that literally almost everyone was giving shit when they tried to take hong kong.

5 minutes ago, hypoactive said:

If anything, trust them. Not the super-authoritarian and borderline secretive country that literally almost everyone was giving shit when they tried to take hong kong.

9 hours ago, Doomkid said:

2.47 million confirmed cases minus 764k recoveries brings us to a grand total of about 1.7 million cases in the US.

There are 330 million people in the US.

That means you have a 0.7% chance of currently having the virus in the US.

This is extremely simple mathematics and demonstrates precisely why you haven't had it and are unlikely to know someone who has had it if your social circle isn't super large.

The amount of currently-affected people in the US is currently 0.005%.

4 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Who exactly is the ''they'' that did a good job making AIDS the hidden pandemic?

The US government of course. They did a good job ignoring for a long time and stifling info during the crisis. 

2 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

The amount of currently-affected people in the US is currently 0.005%.

Okay cool so therefore out of a group of 1000 people only 5 will have even the slimmest chance of kicking the bucket.

And then we gotta ask, what about the BLM protests? Why was nobody opposing that other then normal everyday average joes? Why weren't doctors saying "No chill out do this later we don't want the virus spreading?"

7 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

The US government of course. They did a good job ignoring for a long time and stifling info during the crisis. 

You sure you are talking about AIDS or Corona?

26 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Yes.

You aren't specific with that answer but the link tells me you are referring to AIDS.

In that case, i am still not sure why you call it the hidden pandemic just because the US gov (at the time?) seemed to do it? AIDS is a pretty known thing, with Michel Foucault and Freddie Mercury being two of the more known examples.

I was simply acknowledging Dew's statement that AIDS was technically a pandemic and how the US government suppressed that idea, noting that it was effective enough to not be common knowledge in that particular regard including my own ignorance of such, nothing more. Okay? I really don't want to derail this thread any further if that's all right with you, Red. I hope that clarifies what I meant.

some people are so dumb. I was hanging out with my sister who was on Tik Tok (she's 16) and there was this conspiracy theorist that said that a pandemic happens once every 100 years because of the government. that was the most idiotic thing I've heard. First, he was saying that it happens only every 100 years, with the last being H1N1 in 1918. since then, there have been several pandemics, the 1968 flu influenza and Swine flu in 2009 were definitely some of them, there might be others, but I forget. second, why would the American government make this? they aren't just forming globalism or anything over this. finally, what the hell do you know? this guy looks like a meth addict that found a phone next to a syringe and accidently videotaped himself while in the middle of an orgy. I'm sure this guy barely earned his G.E.D. 

It's fun making fun of morons. :D

58 minutes ago, hypoactive said:

Okay cool so therefore out of a group of 1000 people only 5 will have even the slimmest chance of kicking the bucket.

And then we gotta ask, what about the BLM protests? Why was nobody opposing that other then normal everyday average joes? Why weren't doctors saying "No chill out do this later we don't want the virus spreading?"

if that's what you think .005% is. 

sorry for the double posting. you can't quote in an edit. 

1 hour ago, Biodegradable said:

I was simply acknowledging Dew's statement that AIDS was technically a pandemic and how the US government suppressed that idea, noting that it was effective enough to not be common knowledge in that particular regard including my own ignorance of such, nothing more. Okay? I really don't want to derail this thread any further if that's all right with you, Red. I hope that clarifies what I meant. 

Oh, AIDS still is classified as a global pandemic with 770k worldwide deaths just in 2018. The pie in the sky 2019 United Nations plan for sustainable global growth includes eradicating its spread by 2030, that would make it a 50 year long epidemic. Tens of millions of dead across all continents and cultures, a vast shift in social, sexual and medical standards and perceptions... but of course we instantly get a bunch of restless reopeners crowing it's not really a pandemic pandemic, cause it's not an airborne zombie virus.

Well, how about this then. The last plague pandemic started in China in 1855. WHO traced its resurgent outbursts until the 1960's!

Of course there will be a long-term shift in how we perceive the threat of future influenza and coronavirus pandemics. We may have forgotten the facemask & social distancing lessons of the Spanish flu pandemic, but it was 100 years ago and tacked on to a world war. This will stay with people who lived through it for a long time, particularly in metropolitan areas. Heck, you'd be stupid to not learn from it.

That said, I'm glad you got my point, because this is not about akhhhhshhhhullllllearrrrrrrrghhhing that we just can't compare anything to the novel coronavirus, and thus we might as well fly blind (to the local beach party).

AIDS at least had the decency not to completely override entire healthcare ecosystems before we managed to research treatments for it. If you get put on proper antiretrovirotics within first month of infection, you will live basically unhampered. Well, if we ignore being on antiretrovirotics indefinitely, which royally sucks. A proper comparision for epidemics we opt to turn a blind eye on is malaria, which wiped out a very notable chunk of entire human species in existence and is still very much a thing of the present day.

I somehow missed Hypo responding but he didn't address the post.

5 hours ago, hypoactive said:

On what sources are you basing this?

You know India's density right?

5 hours ago, hypoactive said:

I implore you to atleast try to address what people are saying here and not just haphazardly ignore it with a random rant like this. Thanks.

4 hours ago, hypoactive said:

Since you love to downplay the process without any evidence of an ulterior motive, why are you doubting this so much when you essentially rely on gut feeling?

4 hours ago, hypoactive said:

Lets stick to the topic at hand and not introduce political trends into this discussion.

7 hours ago, dew said:

Uh, AIDS hasn’t passed and the only real personal behavior changes were you should wear condoms, something that was already useful prior to AIDS.

Besides, it’s pretty stupid to compare HIV to Corona. It’s better to look at the various respiratory global pandemics that happen every 50 or 100 years. HIV is maybe better to compare to pre-antibiotics syphilis. Guess what people did during the era of incurable syphilis? They didn’t stop having casual sex!

Perhaps those saying this will lead to massive societal changes can explain what they are specifically referring to. No pandemic in history has eradicated the concept of social gatherings or casual social interactions, which seems to be the thing people keep giddily alluding to, but maybe I’m misunderstanding. Furthermore, the idea that there is a future where people aren’t under immediate threat of disease but still practice the emergency measures in place now seems dystopian and I don’t really understand why people seem to embrace that.

Edited by insertwackynamehere

On 6/27/2020 at 1:07 AM, insertwackynamehere said:

No pandemic in history has eradicated the concept of social gatherings or casual social interactions, which seems to be the thing people keep giddily alluding to, but maybe I’m misunderstanding.

I suppose you mean no pandemic in your own personal history? Because just about every epidemic or pandemic outbreak absolutely had at least temporary societal impacts. The Plague forced people into abandoning their families, fleeing cities or countries out of fear and funeral rites becoming perfunctory or stopping altogether. Many outbreaks wiped out entire civilisations before any precautions could be made. There is also almost no point in comparing this to historical events, because the existence of internet is changing the course of the disease drastically.

I work in long-term care and COVID-19 is a living nightmare. We have so many precaution in place including masks at all times, all employees have to get tested twice weekly, patients can't leave their rooms without mask, and no outsiders whatsoever (Only essential workers). It's horrible for the residence who haven't been able to see their family members in months but it has to be done. If COVID gets into the facility, it will literally kill 25-50 percent of the residences. This has actually happened in several long term facilities in New York and New Jersey. We had a positive case a few months ago, but luckily, it turned out to be a false positive.

The plus side is that the facility I work at is in a very rural area so there's less chance of it hitting us. The downside is that if it does hit, we do not have the medical infrastructure that big cities do to take care of everyone.

4 hours ago, j4rio said:

I suppose you mean no pandemic in your own personal history? Because just about every epidemic or pandemic outbreak absolutely had at least temporary societal impacts. The Plague forced people into abandoning their families, fleeing cities or countries out of fear and funeral rites becoming perfunctory or stopping altogether. Many outbreaks wiped out entire civilisations before any precautions could be made. There is also almost no point in comparing this to historical events, because the existence of internet is changing the course of the disease drastically.

I’m not saying there weren’t ever temporary measures or that we shouldn’t have temporary measures.

I’m saying it’s self-evident that no plague in history ever stopped normal human interaction in the long run. It’s not debatable. If any historical plague had changed humans to never again gather together in enclosed spaces, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. There’s no reason to believe that once corona virus as a threat is gone, people will continue with the emergency social distancing measures in place. Further, it’s dystopian to imagine they would and fascistic to imagine that they should for some greater good which it feels some people are leaning towards. Note that I’m saying when the threat is passed, not right now.

Also I was responding to someone saying this is the worst plague in history which is another non-debatable factually incorrect assertion. This is probably the worst plague that can be transmitted through casual interaction or potentially fomites in any of our lives and hopefully the only one but it’s just straight up wrong to say it’s the worst ever.

There is just so much fear porn and/or collapse fantasizing which isn’t helpful or more science-based or anything. It’s possible to see this as an immediate situation that’s a threat without factually incorrect hyperbole or daydreaming about how you’re the hero in some YA novel during a major event that changes the course of history. If anything about this changes history it will be scary things like being tracked when you leave your apartment or something, just like the PATRIOT Act still exists long after it’s worn out it’s welcome.

Edited by insertwackynamehere

On 6/28/2020 at 2:21 PM, insertwackynamehere said:

I’m saying it’s self-evident that no plague in history ever stopped normal human interaction in the long run. It’s not debatable. If any historical plague had changed humans to never again gather together in enclosed spaces, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. There’s no reason to believe that once corona virus as a threat is gone, people will continue with the emergency social distancing measures in place. Further, it’s dystopian to imagine they would and fascistic to imagine that they should for some greater good which it feels some people are leaning towards. Note that I’m saying when the threat is passed, not right now.

I feel like you're conflating "there will be permanent social adjustments after the pandemic" with "the current social distancing measures will be enforced forever". No one is saying that, and America isn't able to keep their measures even during the pandemic anyway. You say people won't need to wear facemasks in a grocery store after the plague goes away. I say petrol is flammable. The "permanent adjustments" could be more akin to facemasks becoming a regular household product and people reverting to using them on their own in the subway during flu seasons, the way people do it in East Asia. Or maybe there will be stronger mandatory health checks for visitors of elderly care houses... or is that Hunger Games fascism too?

1 hour ago, insertwackynamehere said:

No, all that sounds normal. I’m on edge because there is a contingent online who are basically incels or Karens cheering the death of the social gathering. 

I went through a months long stay-at-home like almost everyone, but I can only imagine how bad it was in a heated pressure cooker like NYC, so you have my sympathies there. I wish you guys good luck, but you may not even need it, because it seems the state is on an optimistic trajectory. And don't be like Florida, which declared mission accomplished and started kissing lepers on the beach.

5 hours ago, insertwackynamehere said:

No, all that sounds normal. I’m on edge because there is a contingent online who are basically incels or Karens cheering the death of the social gathering.

If you think that's fun, just look at the two major parties in this election, hoping that the wild card will work out in their favor - i.e. the virus kills more of the OTHER side's voters. Yes, that's literally where the USA is at these days.