Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoosebumpsFan

A tech-base themed level.

This is a fairly mediocre tech map. A vast majority of the map is just the same few textures with not a whole lot of variety throughout. One problem I have here is resources early on is really tight, and that's mostly due to the fact you're meant to fight ~3-5 pain elementals with just the basic shotgun. There's a reason the plasma rifle exists: It's to slap these potatoes in the face with hot gooey blue goodness. @w@

Outside of that, the maps difficulty is all over the place with some areas having 2-3 PE's and then all of a sudden 2-3 FS with a baron and the exit is a former sergeant and a chaingunner who has their back to you... wot.

Personally, I'd think about expanding the bestiary a bit more and maybe adding the super shotgun earlier to compensate (or at least give the player a chaingun).

Lastly, there's a lot of 90 degree walls and not a whole lot else in the design compartment (the blue key room looked nice though, as it looked like hell is seeping through a part of the map). Maybe try varying sector heights a little more or add in different floor textures and maybe mess around with the lighting. There's no harm in trying to detail a map. <3

Overall, an okay attempt for a first map.

8 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

This is a fairly mediocre tech map. A vast majority of the map is just the same few textures with not a whole lot of variety throughout. One problem I have here is resources early on is really tight, and that's mostly due to the fact you're meant to fight ~3-5 pain elementals with just the basic shotgun. There's a reason the plasma rifle exists: It's to slap these potatoes in the face with hot gooey blue goodness. @w@

Outside of that, the maps difficulty is all over the place with some areas having 2-3 PE's and then all of a sudden 2-3 FS with a baron and the exit is a former sergeant and a chaingunner who has their back to you... wot.

Personally, I'd think about expanding the bestiary a bit more and maybe adding the super shotgun earlier to compensate (or at least give the player a chaingun).

Lastly, there's a lot of 90 degree walls and not a whole lot else in the design compartment (the blue key room looked nice though, as it looked like hell is seeping through a part of the map). Maybe try varying sector heights a little more or add in different floor textures and maybe mess around with the lighting. There's no harm in trying to detail a map. <3

Overall, an okay attempt for a first map.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll keep it in mind for my future maps!

Just played through with  BD and UV. Quite a fun little level. One thing I would definitely say is set the door track to upper- and lower- unpeg (the doorframe). That way, they will not move when the door opens.

BTW - BD probably compensates for some of the points raised above.

Here's a playthrough of the updated version I did combined with Smooth Doom, it was fun to playthrough this one! there's room for improvement over time, keep it up pal. And always listen to feedback so you can improve upon the original releases. Enjoy!

(BTW, make sure to always edit the original post, so other players can download the updated release easier.)

6 minutes ago, AverageDoomguy said:

Here's a playthrough of the updated version I did combined with Smooth Doom, it was fun to playthrough this one! there's room for improvement over time, keep it up pal. And always listen to feedback so you can improve upon the original releases. Enjoy!

(BTW, make sure to always edit the original post, so other players can download the updated release easier.)

Nice video!

You are pretty damn good at the game!

Thanks for playing my wad!

Just now, GoosebumpsFan said:

Nice video!

You are pretty damn good at the game!

Thanks for playing my wad!

No problem, glad you enjoyed that playthrough. Looking forward to your new levels!

And nah, there are better players out there.. :P

Just replayed (BD + UV) - seems much better now . Did you change the monster balance? The whole thing seems more together now - nice. One minor point: I would probably add a baron or a PE to the exit room. Having just encountered two BoH's to get the last key, it's sort of anticlimactic to have just an imp in the last room... Possibly overly picky... Otherwise I enjoyed it. 

I played the second version. There's certainly some imagination going on and it's not a boring map. I thought the maze part was neat, though I think there could've been a bit more risk/reward factored into exploring it. It felt a little mismatched at the end where you have this big battle with two Barons a horde of of Pinkies for the blue key and the blue door is just the exit with only an Imp and a Sergeant between you and the exit. Might be a good idea to reverse the order and rework it a bit so it feels less anti-climatic at end. There's a lot of room for improvement, so keep practicing. :^)

21 hours ago, smeghammer said:

Just replayed (BD + UV) - seems much better now . Did you change the monster balance? The whole thing seems more together now - nice. One minor point: I would probably add a baron or a PE to the exit room. Having just encountered two BoH's to get the last key, it's sort of anticlimactic to have just an imp in the last room... Possibly overly picky... Otherwise I enjoyed it. 

20 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

I played the second version. There's certainly some imagination going on and it's not a boring map. I thought the maze part was neat, though I think there could've been a bit more risk/reward factored into exploring it. It felt a little mismatched at the end where you have this big battle with two Barons a horde of of Pinkies for the blue key and the blue door is just the exit with only an Imp and a Sergeant between you and the exit. Might be a good idea to reverse the order and rework it a bit so it feels less anti-climatic at end. There's a lot of room for improvement, so keep practicing. :^)

Thanks, guys!

I love your feedback!

23 hours ago, AverageDoomguy said:

Smooth video! Just a quick question mate, what program do you use to record Doom ?

Hi, I liked the map. I tried my hand at a bit of commentary though I didn't say much. The blue key room is definitely the most visually interesting. I'm not averse to mazes, but this one wasn't necessarily my favorite.

EDIT: My goodness the game is so loud compared to my voice. Apologies.

22 hours ago, Endless said:

Smooth video! Just a quick question mate, what program do you use to record Doom ?

Thanks pal, I use Windows 10's built-in screen recorder (Recording at 60 fps, normal quality, 1366x768), Xbox game bar is the internal name I believe.

There's a number of different screen recorders if you use Win7/Win8, this one is a good open-source alternative to other screen recorders for example: https://obsproject.com/

I prefer to use open-source software, but I'd recommend Fraps,Dxtory, or Bandicam if you have the chance.

21 hours ago, Nutsy-Nutsy said:

Hi, I liked the map. I tried my hand at a bit of commentary though I didn't say much. The blue key room is definitely the most visually interesting. I'm not averse to mazes, but this one wasn't necessarily my favorite.

EDIT: My goodness the game is so loud compared to my voice. Apologies.

Nice playthrough buddy.

Don't worry you got the commentary just right for the map, you can improve it over time. I'm looking forward to see more of your videos, keep it up!

Ok! Just played this in PR-Boom+ (it worked just fine) and here's some thoughts:

-The map is very flat, rarely is there a height change, besides the staircase to get the yellow key, but this height change doesn't necessarily affect gameplay in any way. You should try to build platforms, balconies, and all kinds of things to spice up the gameplay, because this map essentially boils down to shooting demons that are right in front of you.

-Try to design encounters for the player, like stated above, monsters are always in front of the player in this map. Have closets open up, maybe the player lowers from a lift into a hot zone. Stuff like this can really make your map feel dynamic and add character.

-I could have done without the maze, it felt like padding.

-I like the area with the blue key, conceptually, the idea that the base is literally melding with hell, perhaps expand upon this in another release.

And that's all I have to say. Keep mapping, and please try to add more height variation, its one of the things that made doom special in '93 (not that I would know, I'm a zoomer)

Edited by Egg Boy

On 6/23/2020 at 5:20 AM, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I beat your map.

Nice job on the video!

Where did you get that mod? I kinda wanna try it out.

On 5/28/2020 at 10:53 PM, GoosebumpsFan said:

GOOSEBUMPS DOOM!

You have unleashed the demons onto the UAC Base,

but they decide they don't really like you anymore.

Neither do the marines...

Download Link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/kqhuuih27e9uuao/GOOSEBUMPS-1.9.pk3

Contains:

• Two Maps (MAP01, MAP02),
  • A modified HUDBAR. Removed in favor of screen space
  • Some creepy new sounds
  • Zombiemen are replaced with Marines
  • Shotgunners are no longer zombies
  • Chaingunners are also Marines
  • Lost Souls are no longer flaming, and have new behavior
  • You are replaced with a creepy doll that brought all these demons to earth
  • Some blood effects
  • New Spectres and new Spectre sounds
  • Shotgun and SSG now are faster
  • All weapons reload (excluding the BFG)
  • All weapons have new hands on them
  • New status bar face graphics
  • Chips of wood fly off the player instead of blood
  • and an edited title screen

Old Download Link:

I just included this map as the fifth map of this other mod i'm making.

:)

On 6/23/2020 at 7:20 AM, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I beat your map.

woah, whats hard doom? I oughta try it out. as for the map, looks good, I'll play it.