Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

It's possible to have functional bridges in vanilla where you can walk under or over, though not both at the same time, and the monsters will only walk under them, but not over.

Now, that's been known and built before (Scythe 2 map 17 being a good example). However, what I've managed to do is to stack two bridges across on top of each other, maintaining the possibility to walk under or over either bridge. While it looks perfect in graphically advanced ports (like Crispy Doom, GZDoom, GLBoom+), vanilla and Chocolate Doom, for some reason I still have to figure out, show HOM effects of varying degree and location around the bridges.

DoubleBridge.jpg

SingleBridge.jpg

1 hour ago, Get Phobo said:

However, what I've managed to do is to stack two bridges across on top of each other

Jonas Feragen did 4 stacked bridges in vanilla in map19 of Hell Revealed 2:

´hr2_map19.png

1 minute ago, ukiro said:

Jonas Feragen did 4 stacked bridges in vanilla in map19 of Hell Revealed 2:

Thanks. I've read about it in the Doom wiki after posting. I'm currently examining that map and also Requiem's map 13 that stacked two bridges in a similar fashion I did. Quite impressive technique, although that quad-stack doesn't look very good without a floor texture of some kind.

The Lost Soul that come out of Elementals when they die are aimed at you. I always thought they were sent in random directions

• There is a complete series of homemade games from the early 2000's that rip off Doom's sprites and enemies but run in QuickBasic on a homegrown engine in DOS in 320x200 using several assembly libraries to speed up the process.
  • The predecessor of these is named after a Doom cheat code.
  • The last entry in this series also rips off Witchaven and Hexen and has a level editor.

Hey, I just found out that your footsteps change to be echoey in marble hallways when you use Beautiful Doom. That's rather cool!

13 hours ago, plums said:

There's a hidden backpack in MAP03 of Doom 2.

It's added in the later version of the WAD. One obvious change is that the first switch of Map02 had some white bars you need to open in the older WAD, while in the newer one, there's no bars. Maybe you just don't know that backpack on Map03 since it's not a secret. I did play the older one and I always assume they didn't change Map03 until like a few years ago.

Generally, over the course of the past months, I've come to the conclusion that I've been extremely behind regarding vanilla Doom's undocumented quirks and features. For many years, I had attributed advanced features to source ports only to find out they were (undocumented) vanilla features. Think multi-level fake bridges (see my previous post here), or destructible walls.

Are there any other undocumented features in vanilla everyone should know about?

9 hours ago, xdarkmasterx said:

The Lost Soul that come out of Elementals when they die are aimed at you. I always thought they were sent in random directions

They actually go after the entity that killed the Pain Elemental, which is not always the player.

Now that is awesome to know!   Definitely going to be using Pain Elementals as meat shields when I can.

This is more of a "Can someone confirm this?", but do the PSX Dooms have a slight grain filter over their assets? As a kid I noticed it seemed like there were a few more colors on sprites/textures but I was never entirely sure.

28 minutes ago, damned said:

It looks it is possible to run DooM in Minecraft :D

I'm so happy this meme is still going.

19 hours ago, damned said:

It looks it is possible to run DooM in Minecraft :D

but can it run crysis?? (im sorry)

On 6/23/2020 at 8:40 AM, plums said:

Heretic doesn't properly scale its skies when you reduce the screen size. This happens on the original exe and is preserved in Chocolate Heretic.

edit: Hexen is the same. Strife does it properly even with looking up and down.

UuGPptL.gif

This is actually a bug in Doom 1.2, which Heretic branched from, so that's why it's in there.

@Wagi Ah yeah should've guessed as much. I wonder what the case for Raven never updating their codebase was? Licensing agreement, technical challenge, indifference, something else? Doom 1.666 came out before Heretic was released, and 1.9 was out before SotSR.

i believe they just didn't want to spend alot of time trying to merge two different codebases, and test it all again and again. it's not like you can simply drop the new code in place and call it a day -- some subtle change in the engine may break the game completely, so you have to playtest it all over again each time. it was just cheaper to stick with the version they started. we all know what happened with Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever. ;-)

Doom 2's Entryway has a messed-up linedef, making the hallway to the room with the switch that opens up the Shotgun Area out of whack. I noticed this and fixed it. It's in my own IWAD, now.

did you know that all the add-ons on the console ports make them official? that means Deathless is an official storyline in the DOOM universe. Sadly, the same could not be said for Wow.Wad. 

10 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

did you know that all the add-ons on the console ports make them official? that means Deathless is an official storyline in the DOOM universe. Sadly, the same could not be said for Wow.Wad. 

This is better suited for the "obviously very true Doom facts" topic however, since this is not true.

On jeudi 25 juin 2020 at 6:00 AM, ketmar said:

i believe they just didn't want to spend alot of time trying to merge two different codebases, and test it all again and again. it's not like you can simply drop the new code in place and call it a day -- some subtle change in the engine may break the game completely, so you have to playtest it all over again each time. it was just cheaper to stick with the version they started.

Especially because back then there weren't tools like Git that can quickly show you where the changes happened and how to merge them back.

14 hours ago, iconofeggsafe666 said:

Doom 2's Entryway has a messed-up linedef, making the hallway to the room with the switch that opens up the Shotgun Area out of whack. I noticed this and fixed it. It's in my own IWAD, now.

What do u mean? The little elevated platform with the imps on?

14 hours ago, iconofeggsafe666 said:

It's in my own IWAD, now.

You should perhaps have put the map in a separate WAD; there's a reason PWAD stands for patch WAD. Your IWAD is now a different version, with a different checksum, and you can't use it for multiplayer anymore! Even demos recorded on it would be of questionable validity.

@seed Oh, I thought all DLC is canon to the story-lines, but I just read the DOOM Wiki on the subject. 

Note that "official" in this context refers to provision of the content by id Software. There has been no statement indicating that the modifications created by the community should be considered canonical story-wise.

Hehe. silly me. :P

10 hours ago, Gustavo6046 said:

You should perhaps have put the map in a separate WAD; there's a reason PWAD stands for patch WAD. Your IWAD is now a different version, with a different checksum, and you can't use it for multiplayer anymore! Even demos recorded on it would be of questionable validity.

Don't worry - I have an unedited copy used for Multiplayer! 

It looks like that Skulltag has different movement from the newer ZDoom ports. I was messing with Skulltag the other day and I was able to perform a certain jump (with SR40 and the jump feature) that seems to be impossible in ZDoom 2.8.1.