Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
roboticmehdi2

Need help: AOD

Hello,

First time experiencing the Dehacked.

Trying to run AODDOOM2.WAD and AODDOOM2.DEH with Vanilla Doom 2.   (Army of Darkness Doom)

I thought dehacking was as simple as something "c:\doom2\dehacked doom2.exe aoddoom2.deh aoddoom2.exe" or something and it will spit out a nice executable that will make it run.

Anyway,

Trying this ">doom2.exe -file aoddoom2.wad" fails with this error "W_CacheLumpNum: 2951885 >= numlumps"

After dehacking it with aoddoom2.deh using deh3.1 and running ">aoddoom2.exe -file aoddoom2.wad" fails with the same error as above.

Am I doing something wrong?

How can I make this work properly?

Thanks very much.

Edited by roboticmehdi2

Hey look! An excellent candidate to try out VULD from @JadingTsunami!

VULD will automate this process for you.

Do check out the README and in the case of AOD i believe it also has a PWAD, so put deh+PWAD in a subfoldler and then use the VRUN or VCREATE file (The latter will make an executable with the .deh patch's name.

Thanks for the answer, but it's not only about getting the mod to run, but also understanding what's going on.

(Edit: plus it requires csdpmi? seriously?)

As far as I knew, vanilla doom mods come in two forms: pwads and dehs.

Pwad changes stuff like textures, sprites, maps, music, sounds, etc...

Deh applied using dehacked changes stuff hardcoded in the executable: game behaviour, texts, weapon/enemy behaviour, hits, etc...

Why can't I properly dehack and play AOD?

What am I doing wrong?

Am I missing something?

Edited by roboticmehdi2

1 hour ago, roboticmehdi2 said:

Thanks for the answer, but it's not only about getting the mod to run, but also understanding what's going on.

Okay:

• DeHackEd patches change the hardcoded defaults present in the vanilla exe. You aren't adding anything new, you are simply changing what is already there. Through some clever tricks, you can establish unusual behavior. In order to make any changes, DeHackEd wants to make a copy of your Doom2.exe, called DoomHack.
  • PWADS often contain new graphics. In the old days, these need to be ''deflated'' and ''appended'' DeuSF is usually used for this and can also be used to ''merge'' these graphics along side the DeHackEd patch.

Finally, where in the old days you had to do these steps seperately, VULD takes care of both and makes a nice executable with the DeHackEd patch and any PWAD merged in. You still obviously need Doom2 as an IWAD and any level WAD the mod supplies, but in basis, this is a custom executable (That you can't share, since its the official Doom 2 executable).

(Edit: plus it requires csdpmi? seriously?)

Yeah, seriously. Like a lot of DOS programs tend to do. I know, its annoying, but yeah..

Why can't I properly dehack and play AOD?

That depends on what you are trying to do. If i remember correctly AOD is an old wad that still uses a binary DeHackEd patch and multiple PWADS. I believe a fix for the former exists (And perhaps its on /idgames?).

But in general, .deh+PWAD merging should do the trick, so i am not sure what you mean with properly DeHack in this context.

Can you lay out what you are trying to do, step by step?

AOD has a single deh and a single pwad.

I want to make this mod work the way it would have been done in the old days.

I think the thing I maybe was missing is the thing you call "merging"? What is that?

Dehacked changes executable as told by the deh file, and pwad replaces graphics/maps/sounds of the original iwad.

What is even merging? I am a bit confused now.

Edit: wow wow, wait a min now, I think I am learning new things as do more search.

It is not impossible, but very impractical to modify sprites using a pwad? If I understood correctly?

And thats why we have something called wad merging?

Edited by roboticmehdi2

31 minutes ago, roboticmehdi2 said:

AOD has a single deh and a single pwad.

I want to make this mod work the way it would have been done in the old days.

Then use VULD:

• In the VULD folder, make a submap and call it AOD.
  • Place the AOD .deh and AOD PWAD in that folder.
  • You can choose to run VRUN or VCREATE. See the aforementioned .bat files. They need to be launched in DOSBox
  • Follow the steps given by these batch files.
  • In the case of VRUN, you get a merged .exe and WAD called VULDMOD.exe and VULDMOD.wad. These are found in a directory VULD makes called VULD_dir. VRUN will launch the modified executable automatically. VCREATE will allow you to move the executables and PWADS to a new folder, and has the benefit of renaming the executable to the name of the .deh patch.
  • In the case of VCREATE, you can start it (in a commandprompt!) with (name of exe) -file (name of PWAD).
  • So in the case of Astrostein, which has Astro.deh and Astro.wad, you would start it with astro -file astro.wad. Astro in this example is a merged executable that has Astro.deh merged in.

I think the thing I maybe was missing is the thing you call "merging"? What is that?

Dehacked changes executable as told by the deh file, and pwad replaces graphics/maps/sounds of the original iwad.

What is even merging? I am a bit confused now.

Merging in this context is merging the DeHacked patch with a copy of Doom2.exe. DeHackEd can create that copy, and calls it DoomHack. Additionally, DeuSF can append and deflate graphics from a PWAD and merge them in a custom wad (Which is VULDMOD.wad).

In the old days, WADS would supply their own batch file to do the merge or tell the user to do this manually. Since that can be tedious and involves knowledge of the command line, VULD is there to do this for you.

AODDoom2 uses custom textures, and you need to merge those textures, along the .deh file for aoddoom2.wad to run properly.

To merge the textures you need a program called DEUSF, its similar to dehacked but merges the textures of aoddoom2.wad with the ones in doom2.wad, this way you can load aoddoom2.wad and play it levels.

So yes, you have to made two steps, merge the textures, and then dehacked the .exe

But unfortunately, i don't know the proper order for this.

@Doomkid might help you best, as he is a wadist oldschoolexual

Just now, P41R47 said:

AODDoom2 uses custom textures, and you need to merge those textures, along the .deh file for aoddoom2.wad to run properly.

To merge the textures you need a program called DEUSF, its similar to dehacked but merges the textures of aoddoom2.wad with the ones in doom2.wad, this way you can load aoddoom2.wad and play it levels.

So yes, you have to made two steps, merge the textures, and then dehacked the .exe

But unfortunately, i don't know the proper order for this.

@Doomkid might help you best, as he is a wadist oldschoolexual

DeuSF is part of VULD, simply placing both the .deh and the PWAD in a subfoldler and then running VULD will do this entire process automatically :)

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:

DeuSF is part of VULD, simply placing both the .deh and the PWAD in a subfoldler and then running VULD will do this entire process automatically :)

Yes, i know, pal! I was part of the thread when Jading create it as a request by Doomkid.

But well, OP want to try it for himself, so @roboticmehdi2 please read VULD page as it also has a step by step of how-to manually

Just now, P41R47 said:

Yes, i know, pal! I was part of the thread when Jading create it as a request by Doomkid.

But well, OP want to try it for himself, so @roboticmehdi2 please read VULD page as it also has a step by step of how-to manually

No offence taken! Since you referenced not knowing the order, i thought you weren't aware.

FWIW VULD does DeHackEd first, then DeuSF.

6 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

No offence taken! Since you referenced not knowing the order, i thought you weren't aware.

FWIW VULD does DeHackEd first, then DeuSF.

Its allright, pal! Its just that you and i answered at the same time and our responses overlapped.
Don't worry!