Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lizardcommando

Dammit, I'm bored.... :(

I finished playing the rest of TVR!.wad and it was pretty fun. The level design was original and inspiring. ...Well anyways, back to my original topic. I need to find another Megawad to play. I already finish Fragport, MM1 and MM2, and I think Requiem. But I'm looking for a specific theme. Are there any Megawads out there that have mostly an Urban-esque/Realistic theme to it like Fragport? I'm bored right now, and I need to find another Megawad to play. :(

Hmm, I played through Icarus a few months ago. Overall, it was good. I think I've played Eternal before... I better make sure.

/me downloads Eternal Doom

I don't know of any strongly-themed megawads other than Fragport and TVR (they all seem to be loosely-themed or unthemed), but I do know of a couple of episodes: Nitelife (nitelife.wad, 12 maps) and Scientist (sci.wad, 11 maps) both for doom2.exe (port not required) and of a strong urban-style theme.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Lessee, I haven't played Nitelife, so I'll try that one. I saw screenshots of scientist, and they look really impressive, so I'll get that one too. I haven't played HR, but I have played HR2, so I'm guessing that if Hr2 is hard, then HR will be just as hard, if not harder than its sequal.

Little Faith said:

Equinox (can't be said too many times, Equinox.wad)

Damn, you're right. Equinox Equinox Equinox. To read me jabber on and on about it, look here. It certainly has a strong theme, and while you couldn't really call it urban, it scores strongly in terms of realism (of a sci-fi/futuristic kind).

I spent a while wondering how to complete the sentence "If you liked Fragport, then you might like ..... ". I think the answer might be Herian2. Many of the maps are urban (though with a medieval look), while others are more rural or maritime. Check out, e.g., map26 (on a ship) and map30 (city).

Little Faith said:

I would fathom it would be impossible to do a maxdemo of Equinox map13.

A max demo would certainly be quite a feat. The ammo/monster health balance is 0.16 (according to Jim Flynn's STAT program). That means there is enough ammo to remove 16% of the monsters' total health. However, there is enormous scope for monster infighting, so maybe it isn't totally out of the question.

Map12 UV Max wouldn't exactly be easy either. I've done a skill 1 max run (you don't need to kill the monsters that the boss shooters spew out, of course), and was very low on ammo by the end.

Ultimate DooMer said:

Hmm. If it's a bit like Fragport (is that possible?) it's gotta be worth trying.

There are certain similarities, but it's hardly an identical twin.

Ooh, I've tried Herian2. That Megawad is soo cool! The ambience and the atmosphere is stunning. That Cruise Ship level is pretty fun too. 2002ADO is fun. Played the entire mod. (with god mode and all guns :p.) Equinox sounds interesting... Maybe I'll check it out. I just checked out NiteLife and Scientist Wad. Lessee, NiteLife was ok, but the level design was unappealing... If i was to rate it, I'd give it a 2-5. Scientist wad however was great. The new textures were interesting and the level design was intersting (I like that bird statue thingy on MAP02). I'd rate this a 4-5. I haven't got a chance to play Eternal yet...

Yep, Jim Flynn's Page is a real treasure trove.

BTW, Scientist and TVR! are sort of related - they are both by Van der Veldens.

In that thread, do you ask him about the name because of the texture patch or another reason?

Well, it could be a pseudonym, particularly since Thomas Van der Veldens has never appeared in any form but the WAD, but... maybe not.

The name in the texture could also just be a reference.

Edit: Oh, I see what you mean...

myk said:

In that thread, do you ask him about the name because of the texture patch or another reason?

The texture (which is in a fairly hard-to-find area IIRC) prompted the question.

First of all, thanks to the people that spoke nice words about my wad.

Further I feel I need to say that Grazza is right; my really real last name in realtime life is Van der Velden just like Thomas. This is indeed no co-incident. This is however not because he and I are the same person (because we are not) but because we are simply related.

Well, I hoped that cleared things up.

I hate that mod. It's just shovelware with some new crappy gfx. (although that status bar isn't all that bad.) The "creator" took SO many maps from other people, even some FINAL DOOM maps. Ugh, that thing sucks....

Well. he took the graphics from other wads aswell. DX2 DX2G and whatever the last were called, sucked total balls. they should be called Doom2 Xtreme copyright Infregment

Erik said:

try out Icarus and Eternal if you haven't done so already.

Well i would play icarus but when i try downloading it it says can't find file on server or some shit like that.

BlueSonnet said:

Well i would play icarus but when i try downloading it it says can't find file on server or some shit like that.

Try this link icarus.zip or use Doomsearch.

Grazza said:

A max demo would certainly be quite a feat. The ammo/monster health balance is 0.16 (according to Jim Flynn's STAT program). That means there is enough ammo to remove 16% of the monsters' total health. However, there is enormous scope for monster infighting, so maybe it isn't totally out of the question.

Map12 UV Max wouldn't exactly be easy either. I've done a skill 1 max run (you don't need to kill the monsters that the boss shooters spew out, of course), and was very low on ammo by the end.

There are certain similarities, but it's hardly an identical twin.

I would relegate it to the realm of the impossible. It is not the cybies or anything else in the big cavern room that makes me so sure about this though. One of the side areas is a giant winding lava tunnel with hordes of demons and arch-viles dispersed within. They are practically impossible to get to infight and cannot be lured elsewhere. Though you are given a invulnerability sphere at the start I would consider it unlikely that you would be able to ever clear out the entire tunnel. Even when using the BFG.

kristus said:

Well. he took the graphics from other wads aswell. DX2 DX2G and whatever the last were called, sucked total balls. they should be called Doom2 Xtreme copyright Infregment

lol! True. I'm glad there's another person who's thinking the same thing. :p

Little Faith said:

One of the side areas is a giant winding lava tunnel with hordes of demons and arch-viles dispersed within. They are practically impossible to get to infight and cannot be lured elsewhere. Though you are given a invulnerability sphere at the start I would consider it unlikely that you would be able to ever clear out the entire tunnel. Even when using the BFG.

I have found a trick that ought to make it possible (though I expect it would need to be a TAS run). There is a teleporter via which you escape from the winding lava tunnel. With an accurate SR50 run (maybe SR40 would do, I haven't tried), it is possible to avoid being teleported and so run into the teleporter alcove. The floor there is non-damaging, and from there you could berserk the demons. You only get one chance though - if you need to run through the lava tunnel again, you're dead.

BlueSonnet said:

Thanx. I've been searching ages for this.

If you need to find links to other megawads/episodes, these two threads should be helpful - the both contain a lot of links to wads. There is also doomsearch, as RjY indicated, and DSDA is also a good source of links to wads - if DSDA has demos for a pwad, then there will be a download link for that wad.