Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

How old are you ?

How old are you ?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you, Doomworld member ?

• Under 20
    • 20 +
    • 30 +
    • 40 +
    • 50 +

I'm 33 here and in the same boat as Doom_Dude, or DD, in that I pulled the name out of thin air. Or maybe it was because I liked Doom and ninjas then. To be fair, I was a teenager then when I joined Newdoom myself. And Tenchu was an awesome game. I think the ages likely changed a little with the release of Doom 2016 bringing a wave of younger gamers along with it.

On 6/26/2020 at 5:50 PM, ClumsyDoomer said:

This is supposed to be the most vibrant and exciting age, and i'm genuinely scared of the future now

The future is always gonna be scary. I mean my missus and I just bought our first house together. During the lockdown of all times, but that apparently helped more than anything. It's insane how complicated the process is here in the Scotland. I finally got to feel what actual stress is like for the first time ever.Drained the excitement out of the whole thing. (Just as an aside, when you do go for a mortgage, get a financial or mortgage advisor to help you find a deal. Don't just go to bank and ask for one.)

It pays to have stuck in at school and had a career idea in mind, though as I learned when I joined the navy at 17, sometimes what you thought you wanted turns out to be the opposite. I dropped out of training and flip-flopped from one crappy job to another until I ended up in the airforce at 24/25. I can't quite remember. Best laid plans and all that.

Now I know this sounds a bit doom and gloom, and I apologise. Your twenties are one of the best and worst times of your life. You're still young enough to enjoy your youth, which you should, but you'll learn to work it around getting a good job too. All the while you'll still make mistakes. At the end of the day, make sure to look after yourself first and foremost. Work hard and remember that things aren't going to just be handed to you. I think a lot of youngsters these days wind up having to learn the hard way that you need to make an effort if you want anything and likely have to curb their expectations and accept their lot in life. Once you understand what it is you want, what you're comfortable with, you'll be fine. But that'll generally come as you head towards your thirties and start to wise up. You'll be fine. Just don't end up like the benefit-leeching junkies I have to deal with on a usually-daily basis at work. ;)

14 minutes ago, LHSpanner said:

Physically 34, closer to 60 in grumpiness and cynicism, and about 15 in sense of humour.

Tha'ts the best combination lol

27 minutes ago, goggles stan said:

15. i've felt kinda apprehensive to grow up sense i became a teenager 

Don't worry, that is totally normal. I know me saying this won't make it easier, but at least you hopefully know you're not alone.

24, will be 25 in in 28 days. I have a really good memory, because I still remember the little bit of time I spent in the 90s playing video games, even if it was brief. I was always bigger than other kids (I looked twice my age throughout my life, luckily I just stayed big and tall at my age now), so idk if that has any connection on my memory or not (doubt there’s any evidence of that either), but I still remember back then, and the movies from the 80s I watched. At the time most of those movies were at most 10 years old by then. As I get older, I release that 10 years isn’t a long time ago at all.

People use age too often to prove they have some sort of moral high ground because they had more birthdays than you. I think those people tend to live lonely lives filled with little purpose. You can say oh there’s dumb kids that say dumb things but there are senior citizens that say just as dumb of things, and they should know better. 

Doomworld is great proof that age doesn’t matter, at least when it comes to modding and gaming. There are teenagers, kids, adults, and beyond here, and many have made a lot of great discussion and projects of their own. So I don’t think age really matters when it comes to Doom modding, or modding/gaming in general. If you have the will you will find the way!

I just turned 28 in August!

The scariest thing about it is realizing you can say "I remember this 20 years ago" about something. Such as when Detective Pikachu made a nod to the first animated movie... I was both excited and realized "wait was it REALLY that long ago?!"

I may not have played DOOM when it came out (since I was still a baby lol), but by the time I was around... 7 or 8-ish? I think I was more around 8-ish... I finally was allowed to play it. WOW THAT WAS 20 YEARS AGO TOO, WHAT THE--

I'm 43.. wait.. no. 44. I guess that shows how much I care about the number xD

I did play Doom when it came out- even though I believe I was a year shy of the legal age. I remember getting the shareware version through a gaming magazine and then ordering the full version through an ad in that same magazine.. but further details are fuzzy. 

I do not define age (especially "on the internet") by years lived but by experience, by how you behave, how you treat others. 

Based on my interests in gaming, music, popular culture, other media and by my.. "humor", I would say my mental age is somewhere around 6, 16 or 60, depending on the situation. Much like it seems to be for several people on here, going by comments ^^;

The only thing that's changed to when I was actually 6.. or 16 is that I am more inclined to maintain respectfulness and tact.

I'm curious how that (or my willingness to agree with these statements of mine right now) will change by the time I actually reach 60, if I do.

What I am trying to say is that I really don't care how old someone is as long as they are mindful of others.

Personally, I think it's important, even essential, to maintain some level of playfulness (perhaps alongside some "immaturity") regardless of your age.

As long as you know how to act mature when you have to.

This is way too long a response already for a "How old are you?" thread xD

I'm 31, I grew up with Doom, basically. I was 4 years old when it came out, I really can't believe how fast time is passing by... It is funny to think that I'll probably still be playing Doom by the time I'm 60 or 70. If Doomworld is still a thing in that moment, I believe it will be, the same question will  probably be asked, and imagine a bunch of 70-year-old people saying 'here we are' to the community. Too corny, I know haha. 

I'm 19. Got interested in Doom via... well shit i don't remember now. Probably through the whole "It runs Doom" meme/Brutal Doom's 2nd pass through mainsteam interest, plus the wanderings of the youtube algorithm. Started mapping last year and kinda fell out after a map I'd worked on for hours suddenly refused to even open in the editor. Ah well, waste of time for me anyway Lol

I’m a 31yo male. Like long walks to the fridge... oh shit wrong site.

On 6/26/2020 at 5:16 PM, SuperchargedEuthanasiaDiv said:

57 days until I turn 29. I can legitimately claim that I lived when the USSR was still around, Freddie was alive, and the Internet as we know it didn't exist yet.

Oh man I knew I was old but never thought of it that way :-P

On 6/27/2020 at 8:31 AM, Boaby Kenobi said:

I'm old enough to remember when Robert Downey junior WASN'T a good guy.

Ah the good old days when seeing Robert Downey Jr on TV was due to his latest string of DUI / drug / firearms charges XD

On 9/9/2020 at 7:02 AM, Biodegradable said:

Growing old is inevitable, growing up isn't. So I'm going to be a kid forever!

KND style.

On 6/26/2020 at 5:58 AM, yakfak said:

Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five Five five five five

lookin' good for 700

21. Was served my first beer at the Bar yesterday. It figures, they didn't even ID me either. lmao.

It was a fun night to say the least. Met some people I hadn't seen in awhile, met some descent looking women, the one I remember working with a few years ago.

Had a few more rounds. Talked for a bit. But of course, the kitchen was closed, and we were hungry AF.

It's 1am ,and all the fast food places and bars were closed. So we said "F**k it". Tipped the bartender a 10, Hopped in the car, got dropped off at the crib. Burned some tree, played some music, played a little Doom, some counter strike 1.6, then at some point I passed out. lmao.

I wasn't expecting to type all this just to reply "how old are you". But here it is.

I've turned 20 as of August.

I grew up playing Doom on both Xbox 360 and on PC in 2006, I was 6 years old at the time. The PC version was downloaded from CNET back then as Doom 95 Shareware.

24, 25 in four days. Unfortunately didn't discover old-school FPS games until I was already 24. Though, now I wish I'd grown up playing them all along.

28, was born in '92, grew up with Doom like it was my slightly younger brother.

Of course it took me passing my teenage years to actually appreciate Doom (and 90's gaming) as much as I do now, but in the wisdom of old age I saw the error of my ways. Its the new games I can't stand, the classics are irreplaceable.

Played Wolf3d, Doom, Duke3d, Quake 1 2 3, half life, unreal, unreal tournament, Sin, yeah you name it. Could've been the best childhood possible given all the great games at the time I grew up. But my life was shit, but that's not a story for this thread. 

But I recently begun playing Doom again after 20-23 years. Loving it!

Funny thing is, people think im always 18 cause of how deep and mature my voice sounds, but in reality im 14.

On 6/26/2020 at 10:45 AM, Bryan T said:

36, unfortunately.

Well I guess that makes two of us that are unfortunate