Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
starfruit

What is your least favorite DOOM enemy?

Pain Elementals, their filthy children the Lost Souls, Mr Spooky Bones (the Revenant) and that anorexic pyromaniac, the Arch-Vile. Those are the 4 I find to be the biggest pains in my arse.

The explosive barrel. MAP23 was enough to make me hate them with a burning passion. They will either assist in dispatching a group of mobs or pulverize the player after being hit by a stray shotgun pellet.

3 hours ago, SuperchargedEuthanasiaDiv said:

The explosive barrel. MAP23 was enough to make me hate them with a burning passion. They will either assist in dispatching a group of mobs or pulverize the player after being hit by a stray shotgun pellet.

All hail thy barrel...
That which has turned the tides of battle times uncounted...

As a player, it's definitely the Revenant. If the damage on the missile capped out around 60, rather than 80, I'd be a lot happier.

As somebody who does a lot of mapping and a little modding, I find the Lost Soul has a little too much health for how I prefer it to be used (this is also a thought I have whilst playing) - preferring it's health nearer to that of an Imp. Particularly when it's a projectile for the Pain Elemental, I'd much rather they go down with one shotgun shell.

The elastic collision gremlin that snatches my ankles whenever I either slide across a wall or cut the corner of a wall or enemy.

The lost souls. But I like the pain elemental despite them, because it makes a lovely sound when hit and I delight using the cockblock-abort children technique successfully, that I learned somewhere on youtubes.

Pain Elementals, if you don't deal with them early on a big fight they make your RL risky to use, you might just hit a lucky Lost Soul and blast yourself off.

The enemy I may have cursed most as a player is clearly the Spectre (looking at you, Sunlust MAP25, Scythe2 MAP27 and others using them when your best weapon is the Rocket Launcher). Closely followed by the Pain Elemental and his/her sons and daughters. Even before the Chaingunner I would nominate the Shotgunner, as in groups they are much more inpredictable.

The weakest enemy in terms of gameplay however - here I agree with those that named the standard Former Human/trooper. There are very few maps I remember using them really in a way they're fun to combat, the only ones I remember are Valiant MAP15 and Going Down MAP01, both using big hordes of them.

Barons. Many mappers use them interchangably with Hell Knights and they're an absolute slog to kill. They're inherently the most boring mob.

On 6/25/2020 at 10:02 AM, Phobus said:

As a player, it's definitely the Revenant. If the damage on the missile capped out around 60, rather than 80, I'd be a lot happier.

As a wise man once said:

''Homing missiles that do somewhere between 20 and 60,000 HP damage''.

Pain-elementals. It would be lost souls but those meatballs exist. I need to absolutely abandon everything just to get into their face and kill them while taking damage from all the other lost souls already in the room.

Revenants, far and away. I seriously don't think their homing rockets should last until they hit a wall, and I don't think they should be as strong as they are. If they were faster, a bit weaker, and had a timer, I wouldn't dislike them as much. Also the fact that they're skinny as hell and move really fast makes their small health pool feel bigger just because they can be so annoying to hit.