Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

What Do You Think Of Quake's Expansions?

7 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

Never heard of 'em. And that shows how unofficial they were.

they’re both quite easy to find now. Malice in particular is worth a look. Chase cam, destructible walls, player turrets, mechs. 

4 hours ago, Roebloz said:

Never played Quake.

this is the thread for you!

I don't remember them being particularly enjoyable. Don't recall which one had the scorpions impervious to projectiles, but it was the shittier of the two.

13 hours ago, Doom_Dude said:

There was also this Zaero expansion thing that was sold commercially at some point. I never did play it, despite having downloaded it a couple years ago.

Zaero is worth playing. They added some cool new monsters and the level design is solid. Also they created whole new texture sets for their levels. The textures look fresh and at the same time stay true to Quake 2's Strogg style.

13 hours ago, Jon said:

Has anyone fond memories of two of the unofficial quake commercial mods, shrak and malice?

Shrak wasn't anything special. But Malice is a whole different story. That's in fact a complete new game, and i liked it very much back then.

There was another commercial TC,  X-Men: Ravagers of the Apocalypse, which was awful.

Scourge of Armagon is a really solid expansion pack. I can't vouch for Disolution as I haven't finished it. It seems brutally difficult compared to Armagon or the base Quake campaign. I need to get back to that soon..

honestly I don't find Dissolution of Eternity too hard, I'm playing it again on Hard right now. Maybe I'll eat my words when I get to episode 2, but the main problem is that there is way too much of the new ammo, which is generally better and more efficient than the original quake weapons.

also, fuck ground zero. The Reckoning isn't particularly fun either (hi, did you ever want a super tank with a power shield giving it way too much HP?), but Ground Zero, especially on hard, was just a fucking slog.

3 hours ago, SaladBadger said:

also, fuck ground zero. The Reckoning isn't particularly fun either (hi, did you ever want a super tank with a power shield giving it way too much HP?), but Ground Zero, especially on hard, was just a fucking slog.

Everyone I know praises the Q2 expansions to no end, but they both managed to frustrate me before I could even finish their first level. There's just this tingling feeling when you know you're not going to have any fun.

Scourge of Armagon is magnificent, a thing of absolute beauty. Level design is completely top notch. Cool new enemies, guns and powerups.

Dissolution of Eternity is good fun. I like the new level themes (Maya, Egypt, Rome). They feel fresh.

Man, I thoroughly enjoyed the four expansions for Quake and Quake II and I remember way back when, hoping there would be more and being disappointed there wasn't. I played the hell out of those expansions back in the day. I found myself more turned off by user made levels. I don't know how many crappy ones id try and give up on before finding something worth playing. I wish I still had my list of all the custom levels that were well designed and fun to play through.

14 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

Zaero is worth playing. They added some cool new monsters and the level design is solid. Also they created whole new texture sets for their levels. The textures look fresh and at the same time stay true to Quake 2's Strogg style.

Sounds good, Tetzlaff. I got that urge again to play some Quake and Quake II stuff.

6 hours ago, mattjoes said:

Dissolution of Eternity is good fun. I like the new level themes (Maya, Egypt, Rome). They feel fresh.

This sounds more like hexen 2

On 7/1/2020 at 2:50 AM, Doom_Dude said:

I wish I still had my list of all the custom levels that were well designed and fun to play through.

I can recommend the following episodes:

Citadel by Andrea Rosa (final version 2017) https://www.quaddicted.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=494

Pax Imperia by Mark Shan (this is an equivalent to Slaughter maps in Doom) http://www.markshan.com/podstrn/noviprj.htm

Sonic Mayhem by Quakeulf (version 1.2, 2018) https://www.moddb.com/mods/sonic-mayhem

Slight Mechanical Destruction by Musashi http://musashi.backshooters.com/

Machine Reborn by Kona

On 6/30/2020 at 3:07 PM, SuperchargedEuthanasiaDiv said:

Everyone I know praises the Q2 expansions to no end, but they both managed to frustrate me before I could even finish their first level. There's just this tingling feeling when you know you're not going to have any fun.

The Reckoning is great until you reach the final hub and get one-shotted by gladiators with the double-shot explosive gun and almost 2000 HP.

avoiding the shots aren't too hard, but they do have entirely too much hp.

I'm torn on whether or not giving them the power screen (like brains) would have helped. It does allow you to attack them in the back, but frontal attacks would end up being even worse off (reduced to 1/3rd of the damage instead of 2/3rds)

@Tetzlaff  Thanks, gonna download that stuff!

I was digging around in my pile of olde CDs, found a 'Quake Stuff' CD I had burned in 2003. Then I found more Quake stuff on an external drive where I used to save various game files. Pretty sure I played all this stuff and only saved it because I enjoyed it at the time. I do remember some of it like Nehahra and 1964: Echoes of the Past. Here is a short list of some of that stuff.

and then for Quake II

[edit] Yeah Tetzlaff, I did play that Pax Imperia by Mark Shan. The others I will grab for sure. :D

On 6/30/2020 at 8:16 AM, cybdmn said:

Shrak wasn't anything special. But Malice is a whole different story. That's in fact a complete new game, and i liked it very much back then.

There was another commercial TC,  X-Men: Ravagers of the Apocalypse, which was awful.