Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

1 hour ago, xzotikk said:

It looks like that Skulltag has different movement from the newer ZDoom ports. I was messing with Skulltag the other day and I was able to perform a certain jump (with SR40 and the jump feature) that seems to be impossible in ZDoom 2.8.1.

I think the difference was that jumping in ZDoom slowed your movement in a way that Skulltag didn't (or it had more air control). I am pretty sure it actually was faster to jump across the map than it was to just walk.

8 minutes ago, Wagi said:

I think the difference was that jumping in ZDoom slowed your movement in a way that Skulltag didn't

Huh, that's very interesting! How do you know? Are there any patch notes that cover this?

17 minutes ago, xzotikk said:

Huh, that's very interesting! How do you know? Are there any patch notes that cover this?

I don't remember any mention of it, but it was a very distinct thing I noticed back when Skulltag was a thing. I want to say I noticed it when trying to play the Rocket Jumping 2 wad in ZDoom.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Skulltag_features#Compatibility_flags

compat_limited_airmovement

When this option is true, air movement is the same as in ZDoom, air control and friction both depending on sv_aircontrol. When false, as by default, air control is much greater, but air friction remains unaffected, allowing "bunny hopping" moves.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/CVARs:Configuration#sv_aircontrol

sv_aircontrol (float)

Default: 0.00390625

Sets the amount of control you have while in the air. 1 is the same control you have while on normal ground. 0 is no control at all — the original Doom setting — you have to wait until you land before you can change direction. The default value is very close to the standard Doom value but still large enough to allow you to stand next to a ledge and jump onto it. This value also affects air friction, which is proportional to the amount of control.

Given the formula used by ZDoom, you can replicate Strife's vanilla air control by using a value of 0.00684527763.

Note: Skulltag ignores this value unless its compat_limited_airmovement flag is set. The default behavior in that port corresponds to an aircontrol value of 0.25, though air friction still uses the CVAR value.

If you go far enough outside the bounds of the map, the gridlines on the automap no longer display properly and neither will the arrow that depicts the player.

If are outside the map and the game thinks your sector is in an elevator moving downward, but you are not actually inside of the sector (like in the void) then the elevator will not properly carry you down and you will repeatedly "bounce" on the elevator. Likewise, if it is moving up, it will move upward without you, until you move forward or sideways, at which point your position will "snap" back up to the elevator until you stop moving again.

21 minutes ago, NoXion said:

Blood doesn't stay on the walls in the original vanilla Doom.

Nope, that ZDoom for ya.

If you don't like the effect just reduce the number of decals to 0 in the Display settings. The RL smoke trails are also a ZDoom feature BTW - but the Revenant homing missile smoke is vanilla.

14 minutes ago, NoXion said:

I knew other kids who had Aliens toys even though they were under 18, and this was back in the 90s. 

Besides, little kids seem to handle classic Doom just fine.

I'm sure it isn't a large audience. many parents I know would never allow their children to play bloody games. a few years ago, this 4 year old kid I was hanging out with was playing on my Ipad and got grounded for killing a cow in Minecraft. Imagine if that parent saw their child shoot a bunch of demons from hell with paganist signs all over the game, and when you die, you are presented with a slit throat man. I think she would die. 

The Mancubus pain sound is actually a slowed-down (And, IIRC, slightly pitch-shifted) voice sample of some guy saying "Wyatt."

0:10 to be specific.

i just found out this:

1004692467_CACOHAT.png.18018009bf3d23b59e42c040fe31a1a9.png

A Caco with a Cacohat! i know the screenshot is not perfect but yea he was floating together with corpses on his head lol. I don't know about you but i really had no idea they could do this lolll

35 minutes ago, Zolgia108 said:

I don't know about you but i really had no idea they could do this lolll 

This is possible with the "infinitely tall monsters" behavior disabled. Source ports like PrBoom and GZDoom have that option.

Except for E2M9 all maps from episode 1 and 2 of Doom 1 use switches for the exit. All maps in episode 3 use teleporters for the exit.

Not too big of a deal but I just realized that the intermission in TNT: Evilution is actually an edit of the doomguy firing posture, complete with the orange light effect on the body, to give it an impression as if doomguy is looking at the sun(set?) but they edited a Plasma gun so it points down. It's plain and simple but I never really payed too much attention to it.

That i actually like plutonia experiment, it's crazy considering how much i used to hate it.

Not Doom specific, but id software and John Carmack received two emmy awards in 2007 for:

Science, Engineering & Technology for Broadcast Television

Science, Engineering & Technology for Broadband and Personal Television

I was going through Doom's first episode today, looking for inspiration for an e1-style map I'm working on, and when running through E1M6 I discovered something that blew my mind. The ceiling in these rooms in the 'maze' section is not actually F_SKY1! I don't know why I thought that it was. It's been years since I properly played these maps, but even so, in my mind these rooms always opened up to the sky. This has completely changed my perception of this part of the map.

e1m6.png.0ca484aacccd7a24b252e9d55ca9ae1d.png

2 hours ago, stewboy said:

I was going through Doom's first episode today, looking for inspiration for an e1-style map I'm working on, and when running through E1M6 I discovered something that blew my mind. The ceiling in these rooms in the 'maze' section is not actually F_SKY1! I don't know why I thought that it was. It's been years since I properly played these maps, but even so, in my mind these rooms always opened up to the sky. This has completely changed my perception of this part of the map.

e1m6.png.0ca484aacccd7a24b252e9d55ca9ae1d.png

You’re actually not the first one to post that here - apparently this is a really common misconception haha. Fascinating that so many people have made the same mistake.

14 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

You’re actually not the first one to post that here - apparently this is a really common misconception haha. Fascinating that so many people have made the same mistake.

Oh that's weird. Maybe this is the Doom equivalent of berenstein/berenstain? Were these rooms EVER exposed to the sky? Maybe in the shareware version?

It's actually a vast government psychological experiment.  Even the Alphas were changed on us!  Install off the original dos CD-ROMs or floppies and you'll see it was F_sky1!

Playing with a keyboard is like hard mode, lol... my whole life I always used a mouse, because its easier, lets be honest. But I actually really like the game using a keyboard, just started last week... adds a lot of challenge, even in a game I've played 3000 times too many, lol.

I've been testing the keyboard approach on ultraviolence just for a bit of challenge.

12 minutes ago, xdarkmasterx said:

The cacodemon got a gender-swap in 2016 :3

What about the rear? Maybe it's a hermaphrodite.

That's actually the 2016 Caco's stomach, not a scrotum, sorry. Doom 2016 decided the caco and manc were cousins.

fqZEH85.png

Same facial structure with a single green eye and multiple jaws, same (but smaller) chevron-shaped carapace on top of the head, same big fat belly.

Most of the windows on Doom2's MAP19, with the non-square and diagonal ones being the only exception, are made of two linedefs each, and they only have a texture on the front side. So the window texture is visible in a slightly different position depending on whether you're viewing in from the inside or outside.

On 7/29/2020 at 4:31 AM, Gez said:

That's actually the 2016 Caco's stomach, not a scrotum, sorry. Doom 2016 decided the caco and manc were cousins.

<Picture>

Same facial structure with a single green eye and multiple jaws, same (but smaller) chevron-shaped carapace on top of the head, same big fat belly.

Maybe they start life in the same spawning vat, as part of the same gestational ooze (or whatever), and some members are treated in a particular way that turns them into cacos, while others are treated in a different way that forms them into mancubi.