Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spineapple tea

Most obscure Doom fact you know

NIN even appeared in a Simpsons episode, they were definitely pretty big.

On 6/24/2020 at 6:05 AM, Redneckerz said:

Then, a game that rips off Doom assets in Quickbasic is named after a cheat code in Doom.

I didn't even know this Quickbasic game ever existed and I used to follow the Quickbasic scene many years ago. It was like an actual big community making graphics demos, games and other neat stuff in pure QB. Strange I never encountered this one as I was testing for fun a lot of QB games at the time.

59 minutes ago, plums said:

Anyhow, time for some more obscure Heretic stuff. I posted my most obscure Heretic fact in a different thread, but here's another one.

In Heretic, you can have floors that move the player, but only the ones that move East will scroll the floor texture, and only some textures are used for when they scroll. Why?

Well, the way that Raven coded the moving animated floors was to basically draw the flat starting at some position (based on the current level time in tics) not at the beginning of the flat. Because of this, the engine would reach the end of the flat lump before it had drawn all it had needed to, and would produce a tutti-frutti type effect. To avoid this, certain flats that were meant to scroll are actually 64x65 pixels large, so that there's some extra data to fill the draw routine.

On that same subject, I guess there's ab obscure bug that people don't know about Heretic, which is that the code responsible for merging visplanes does not take scrolling flats into account, resulting in visual glitches in certain circumstances, notably the waterfall elevator in E2M5.

Okay, since we're talking about 90's alt-rock on this thread, I read somewhere that the Smashing Pumpkins put a Doom sound effect (I think the rocket launcher firing sound) into one of their songs, and that they did it as a reference to the IDSPISPOPD thing.  I suppose I could like look it up or something but I'm tired right now man

42 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

Okay, since we're talking about 90's alt-rock on this thread, I read somewhere that the Smashing Pumpkins put a Doom sound effect (I think the rocket launcher firing sound) into one of their songs, and that they did it as a reference to the IDSPISPOPD thing.  I suppose I could like look it up or something but I'm tired right now man

It's in "Where Boys Fear to Tread". You hear the barrel explosion sound a few times, the first at about 1:21.

19 minutes ago, Angry Saint said:

The hanging guy sprite is based on a photo of Mussolini... hanged.

lol? where did you find that?

Speaking of Doom and music, Rammstein used the Doomguy death grunt (1:23) and shotgun reload sound (3:17) in Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen. This fact is somewhat less obscure than the Smashing Pumpkins one.

On a more obscure note though, Daniel Deluxe used the teleport sound effect in Territory (1:07).

5 hours ago, Angry Saint said:

The hanging guy sprite is based on a photo of Mussolini... hanged.

It's been long rumored, but it's not a 1:1 copy of him. At the very least it's been altered to an extent, but it might not be him at all and might be like a GI Joe or Ken doll hung or something.

The beta Demon melee attack behavior can be seen in the old demo reel recorded for Doom in attraction mode. It basically had a hitscan attack with just a tiny bit more range to it than the finished, more refined product. Still, I find it quite interesting and honestly cool that it would spew blood on the player's screen whenever it landed a successful bite, sort of obscuring the view of the player. Nice touch.

I watched all of the demos from the different versions but I remember it vividly in v.099, at around 5:33. 

On 6/29/2020 at 10:47 AM, Maes said:

In Doom I's help screens, there's a miniature screenshot showing a proper left flank view frame of Doomguy holding his rifle, that's not used in the actual game (where it's just mirrored from the right flank).

I was always intrigued by this when I was younger. The Doomguy in that screenshot looked really unnatural to me. Also the Cyberdemon in the same screenshot looked also kind of odd. Could it be an earlier incarnation or just the fact that it only showed half of it?

57 minutes ago, Uni said:

I was always intrigued by this when I was younger. The Doomguy in that screenshot looked really unnatural to me. Also the Cyberdemon in the same screenshot looked also kind of odd. Could it be an earlier incarnation or just the fact that it only showed half of it?

I remember a discussion of this exact topic recently. I think it was determined at the very least that the proportions are wrong, i.e., the Doomguy is too tall in this image.

58 minutes ago, Uni said:

It basically had a hitscan attack with just a tiny bit more range to it than the finished, more refined product

I think that it was like this even up to v1.5 of ultimate doom and it used to be able to cause infighting for that reason

4 minutes ago, Lokatzis 007 CJ said:

I think that it was like this even up to v1.5 of ultimate doom and it used to be able to cause infighting for that reason

This is correct.

Up until version 1.4 or so of Doom, enemies used to have a melee hitscan attack and slightly reduced range as a result. This also made them capable of infighting, but these quirks got patched later on and their behavior was altered.

It is a kind of weird change, for me at least, cause it seems pretty harmless and sometimes even useful if you are lucky.

However, if this applied to all melee attacks, even to those from enemies that can throw projectiles, then I think I see why it was done. The player would probably be able to bait out the melee attack and then back off with no projectile coming out, like how the revenant punch works...

Still I wouldn't mind if pinkies had this particular behavior :P

20 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

It's been long rumored, but it's not a 1:1 copy of him. At the very least it's been altered to an extent, but it might not be him at all and might be like a GI Joe or Ken doll hung or something.

It doesn't really seem to be Mussolini because they used some part of the hanged body of Mussolini's woman for completing the sprite.

I remember looking through the pictures of Mussolini and all hanged and the doom graphic and they never really matched up. Like the overall image is very similar, how the pants look and all, but none of the details click. Unless it's from some other photo that's not easily found online, it seems more that they used it for reference or that it's a coincidence.

Not a Doom fact but an obscure Wolfenstein fact I discovered.

Wolfenstein 3D was originally designed as a stealth game. This included completed programming of dragging corpses around.

Check 13 minutes in this video;

On 6/30/2020 at 1:21 PM, dr_st said:

I remember a discussion of this exact topic recently. I think it was determined at the very least that the proportions are wrong, i.e., the Doomguy is too tall in this image.

@dr_stAny chance you might remember the exact name of the thread and link it? I'm very interested in reading about it.

The blowing up frames of the explosive barrels are actually scaled down retouched cyberdemon death frames.

A monster can see you through a solid wall, if the monster's X coordinate equals the Y coordinate of one of the wall's endpoints.

It's the inverted case of this. I'm calling it obscure because thousands of developers scrutinized the source and didn't notice until I tested it and put it on the wiki. :>

Not a fact, since I'm not sure if it's true, so I'm probably wrong. I haven't played enough games to know this is true, but with the console port of DOOM's add-ons included, does DOOM have the most secret levels out of any game? there are 4 from the Ultimate DOOM, 1 from Sigil, 1 from DI, 4 from Final DOOM, 4 from NEIS, and 4 from Deathless! that's 18 secret levels! I think Mario world only had like 15! I wouldn't consider side quests from games to be secret levels, so RPGs wouldn't count. I think that DOOM might have the most secret levels in its game! I put this here as I don't want to make a new thread, and this is sort of obscure. 

Since the original Doom came out, there was talk and even development of a potential Doom movie in the 90s, but was most likely scrapped either due to Columbine or some other development.
It's extremely likely that the development of Doom Movie 2005 had nothing to do with this unknown project (especially considering how 2005 was heavily inspired more by Doom 3 than anything).

All this ranges from more solid evidence (concept art/figurines of what was either the Pinky or the Baron, a Spider Mastermind, and even an animatronic diagram for the Cyberdemon) to more shaky, unconfirmed rumors (like how Arnold Schwarzenegger was apparently in talks to play the Doomguy).

Vanilla Doom.exe seems to have special handling of nightmare in E1M8 where the Barons won't respawn.

43 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

All this ranges from more solid evidence (concept art/figurines of what was either the Pinky or the Baron, a Spider Mastermind, and even an animatronic diagram for the Cyberdemon) to more shaky, unconfirmed rumors (like how Arnold Schwarzenegger was apparently in talks to play the Doomguy).

That sounds better than the other 2 movies. 

1 hour ago, Man of Doom said:

Since the original Doom came out, there was talk and even development of a potential Doom movie in the 90s, but was most likely scrapped either due to Columbine or some other development.
It's extremely likely that the development of Doom Movie 2005 had nothing to do with this unknown project (especially considering how 2005 was heavily inspired more by Doom 3 than anything).

I vaguely remember talk of a Doom movie being made back in the 90's. I wasn't aware of the Arnold Schwarzenegger thing though.

I can just imagine him shouting lines like 'rip and tear! Yaarrl!!' in his accent.

3 minutes ago, AWP_LONERT said:

what if arche vile's can't hurt you if you have a rad suit on

What if a Rad suit can't hurt you when you have an Arch-vile on?