Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Just curious about id

I was wondering if id, or anyone from id, ever made any comments about all the mods and the like that came from the Doom community. I was just noticing all the changes, generally for the better, that people have made for Doom, so I thought maybe id said something about it by now.

He also gave Baldy a recording of his voice when Baldy asked for it. o_O That means he's pretty in touch with his games' fans (and thats not counting his forums :P).

I have to admit Romero is pretty cool for being as involved in game communities as he is.

Arioch said:

Romero got fired from id and put out Daikatana.

Since Romero started feeling guilty he cut his hair.

Oh, and he now puts out such excellent and stimulating games as ... Hyperspace Delivery Boy!

The source of my biggest doubts about Doom 3 is that neither John Romero nor Tom Hall will be involved in the process.

Little Faith said:

The source of my biggest doubts about Doom 3 is that neither John Romero nor Tom Hall will be involved in the process.

you forgot bobby prince. wonder what he's doing...

monochrome said:

you forgot bobby prince. wonder what he's doing...

Bobby Prince was never really a member of iD, and besides why would you want him on music again?

nxn said:

Bobby Prince was never really a member of iD, and besides why would you want him on music again?

Probably because Doom 1 and 2 have the best game soundtracks ever made!?

Speaking of soundtracks, Trent Reznor is in on the Doom III soundtrack, right? If so, I wonder if it'll be more of the Quake style or if he'll borrow from Doom64 type stuff. Either way, it's gonna kick ass. Assuming Trent's doing them. Otherwise it's risking mediocrity.

Quake soundtrack sucked ass, and the Doom64 soundtrack sounded like babies crying, not exactly what I want to hear when I'm playing games.

Well most of the Quake soundtrack was good IMO. As for the baby stuff, well it's good for Hell levels but it'd be as awkward as...hell...if it was used in a base, yes. And I'm just talking about general style -- plus the Quake and D64 music/sounds (whatever you think of it as) was great for ambience.

I could've done as good a job on the Quake soundtrack by just rattling some chains, fuck that shit.

C'mon, you didn't like the tracks that had actual music in it? There was some guitar stuff in there...a bit. :)

I think background "music" would throw the sense of realism and scariness right out of the window. I mean, dark deserted military installations don't have music playing all the time. I hope they're going for more of an ambient sountrack....

I say keep the babies for hell and for the base, just use ambient noise, maybe with crescendos when a significant enemy encounter is near. I think dripping of pipes, the pops of wrecked electrical wires, the puff-noises of steam from the wall and things like that would make things intense enough. I guess that on second thought, if you have music, it'd make it harder to hear a demon's claws clacking on the metal when it comes nearer to you down the hall.

The quake soundtrack is....um....dodgy. It's distracting when you're playing Quake and you hear track 4 (i think i can hear someone, Probably Reznor, say 666 unleashed on that one). That's why i prefer to use psx doom music with Quake. Track 10 is OK though.

Doom64 track is OK, since it's similar to psx doom. I'm generally hoping doom3 music will be like PSX doom music or something that i can say is perfect.

Little Faith said:

Screw that, none of those two guys would do any good nowadays, because making games is a zillion times more complex.

John Romero isn't involved in any good games anymore - reason enough to be pleased that he's not involved in Doom 3 (not to insult him, but making games is, like I said, much more complex now and I doubt J. R. has what it takes to make a game like Doom 3).

Tom Hall may be creative, but again, being creative isn't necessarily the same as knowing what the fans like.

id has hired new folks, and these folks are, afaik, renowned for their talent and skills and have LOTS of experience in making cool games. I think you should throw your doubts in the waste bin.

Oh yeah, and screw the music issue, we've discussed it too many damn times and it's like hammering on a solid brick wall with a wooden stick - people just won't agree because everyone has his/her own taste.

Let it go.

Hey DSM, pardon my illiteracy, but what's "afaik" mean? I mean, I get the general gist of it, but could you kind of define it for me?

I don't think Doom 3 is going to be that great. From what I heard, its going to be more of a technical game than anything else, meaning that gameplay may be sacrificed in place of other things.