Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

The "Ask a Simple DOOM Question" Thread

54 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

What is the difference between Hell Knight and Baron of Hell?

Why do they have different names?

HKs are a weaker version who have less health and can be taken down with lighter guns, which the Barons can also be killed with, but consumes far more ammo and take much longer to do.

5 minutes ago, seed said:

HKs are a weaker version who have less health and can be taken down with lighter guns, which the Barons can also be killed with, but consumes far more ammo and take much longer to do.

I didnt know that. Thanks 

1 hour ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Why do they have different names?

Technically, the Barons and Hell Knights look different as seen in DOOM 3 and 4. ID was a bit lazy, reusing sprites for many demons. The Arachnotron was a scaled down SM, The PE was an elaborated cacodemon sprite, and the HK was a recolored Baron, Chaingunner was a large shotgun dude, etc. All these demons in later releases (except for some demons in DOOM 64) had had their own sprites. 

9 hours ago, pc234 said:

What is the capital of Ecuador?

Please read the rules. I'm pretty sure Ecuador has nothing to do with DOOM.

6 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Why is John....... Romero?

make sure it is a question that can only get one possible answer.

11 hours ago, Archanhell said:

Why does the Cyberdemon have such booty?

Don't make it a shit question

14 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

the Barons and Hell Knights look different as seen in DOOM 3

Barons don't exist in Doom 3.

They were planned, as seen in some drawings and concept art, but ultimately didn't make the cut. The HKs replaced them, who received a considerable buff this time around.

Can I expect a decent performance from Doom Eternal on my system? Doom 2016 runs okay at the settings pictured here. The framerate does stutter from time to time but it's never unplayable.DoomGraphicsSettings.png.e7c4b64e44ff86f77cb3c81bd0ad57ff.pngGPU.png.b8753f489337bbb600884361a176125c.pngCPU.png.70c190a81eb29e1276a2aca00e933e87.png

1 hour ago, seed said:

Barons don't exist in Doom 3.

They were planned, as seen in some drawings and concept art, but ultimately didn't make the cut. The HKs replaced them, who received a considerable buff this time around.

Oh, yeah. I meant it like the HK's looked different from their original designs, different from the original Baron design. Oopsie.

also, here are my questions. Does DOOM 3 take place in the same universe as DOOM 1993? Also, are the events that you see in the original DOOM 4 trailer (when it was called DOOM 4) still canon to the DOOM storyline? 

10 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Oh, yeah. I meant it like the HK's looked different from their original designs, different from the original Baron design. Oopsie.

also, here are my questions. Does DOOM 3 take place in the same universe as DOOM 1993? Also, are the events that you see in the original DOOM 4 trailer (when it was called DOOM 4) still canon to the DOOM storyline? 

Doom 3 is pretty much its own timeline and canon, but it is acknowledged in Eternal if I remember correctly, and the "hero from Mars". Doom classic, D64, 2016, and Eternal are all the same universe.

As for Doom 4 1.0, no, obviously not, that game was scrapped and we got Doom 2016 instead of it. You can't "canonize" something that was cancelled and rebooted into something else. It's only an interesting piece of history now, nothing more, nothing less.

Is there any difference between UV-Fast and Nightmare, apart from the respawning monsters?

3 minutes ago, xzotikk said:

Is there any difference between UV-Fast and Nightmare, apart from the respawning monsters?

Yes - Nightmare also gives you twice the ammo, which UV-Fast does not.

5 minutes ago, xzotikk said:

Additionally, monster reaction time is lower in NM than in UV-Fast.  When an enemy notices you in the "normal" difficulties, it has a set delay that it has to take before it starts firing.  In NM, this is eliminated, so you can wake up a monster and it immediately turns and starts firing on you.  This behavior is not carried over to UV-Fast, so NM is still that extra bit more unfair.

I have one! Is it possible to replace the SSG sprites in the IWAD? I don't want any mechanical changes just the aesthetic, I want it to work when I'm playing on a vanilla Zandronum server or while I record a demo with GLBoom+.

SSG is easily my most used weapon and the shadowing on the right barrel has irked me for as long as I can remember. It just doesn't look *right*.

ok then, maybe not a simple question but since noone answered me on the topic i will try here:

i would like to add more monster corspes as decoration, so as a decorate file, i would love being able to place dead barons and dead hell knights for example. How can i do that? thanks :)

32 minutes ago, xzotikk said:

Besides double ammo and respawning monsters, there's a not-so-obvious change where monsters will shoot you on sight immediately instead of waiting for at least 8 tics. This makes Shotgunners significantly deadlier since you don't really have the time to react even you know they are there.

(EDIT: Crap.... I didn't actually read Mitchfork's post, so sorry saying the same thing again...)

Here I'll make a question then :P

Shotgun fires 7 pellets with 1 shell, but Super Shotgun fires 20 pellets with 2 shells. I assume those are the same type of shells, but why there are 6 extra pellets from Super Shotgun?

Spoiler

The answer I expect is "that's what makes Super Shotgun 'super' instead of a ordinary Double Barrel Shotgun" :P

15 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Shotgun fires 7 pellets with 1 shell, but Super Shotgun fires 20 pellets with 2 shells. I assume those are the same type of shells, but why there are 6 extra pellets from Super Shotgun?

I think, although I'm not sure, that the reason is because a shotgun does almost twice as many shots a minute than a SSG, so if the SSG was to do the same amount of damage, then there would be no need for it, as the shotgun could do about the same amount of damage in the same amount of time. giving the SSG 6 more pellets allows it to have an actual purpose.

23 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

A real shotgun shell that uses pellets would typically have more than 7 pellets in it, so you can think of Doom's shotgun as a partial abstraction. In which case, the extra SSG pellets just represent the increased force of shooting.

(The real answer of course is that it's more interesting gameplay-wise.)

((The real answer is actually demon wizard science.))

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Why don't you idiots deathmatch more FFS

Don't fall for that shit kids. Last time I deathmatched, Doomkid and his cronies ganked me and took all my weapons, ammo and UAC monies.

58 minutes ago, plums said:

A real shotgun shell that uses pellets would typically have more than 7 pellets in it, so you can think of Doom's shotgun as a partial abstraction. In which case, the extra SSG pellets just represent the increased force of shooting.

I actually know this and recently I learned that the higher gauge, the bigger the pellets are if I'm not mistaken. Originally I thought it's the size of the caliber, but obviously it's not. Therefore, I assume as long as you use the same shell, the same amount of pellets should come out. :P

Also, it seems it's a trend that design wise, a double barrel blast is slightly stronger than 2 normal shotgun blasts in many games.

It may not ne be so Doom related but I ask you thinking about Doom.

Is there as big difference as Doom tells us between a pistol and a shotgun?

In Doom, the difference is so big.

In real life, is the difference that big? I wonder about it?

1 minute ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

It may not ne be so Doom related but I ask you thinking about Doom.

Is there as big difference as Doom tells us between a pistol and a shotgun?

In Doom, the difference is so big.

In real life, is the difference that big? I really wonder about it. It is not a troll question. Who knows the answer?

in all games, the enemy and yourself die after several hits, when in real life, both should die immediately depending on where they are shot. A shotgun can make somebody's head explode, while a pistol will not. a double-barreled shotgun and regular shotgun really do the same damage in life. they only give both the demons and humans in games health so you don't just snipe everybody, and if you round the wrong corner, you don't have to immediately respawn from your last checkpoint. there is still a difference in real life.

6 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

in all games, the enemy and yourself die after several hits, when in real life, both should die immediately depending on where they are shot. A shotgun can make somebody's head explode, while a pistol will not. a double-barreled shotgun and regular shotgun really do the same damage in life. they only give both the demons and humans in games health so you don't just snipe everybody, and if you round the wrong corner, you don't have to immediately respawn from your last checkpoint. there is still a difference in real life.

Lets think about a bear or an elephant.

We have a pistol and a shotgun. How much difference we will experience with both guns?

Would you say one fire from a shotgun would be equal to too many shots from a pistol?

47 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

I actually know this and recently I learned that the higher gauge, the bigger the pellets are if I'm not mistaken. Originally I thought it's the size of the caliber, but obviously it's not. Therefore, I assume as long as you use the same shell, the same amount of pellets should come out. :P

The gauge of a shotgun shell and the size of the pellets contained in one are two different things. The higher the gauge, the smaller the diameter of the shell. I've no idea why it's so convoluted instead of measuring the damn thing directly.

52 minutes ago, Chow Yun Thin said:

The gauge of a shotgun shell and the size of the pellets contained in one are two different things. The higher the gauge, the smaller the diameter of the shell. I've no idea why it's so convoluted instead of measuring the damn thing directly.

Huh... it seems I still got things mixed up. Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, I didn't understand your ID until something like last week, which gave me a good laugh. Also thank you for that :P

45 minutes ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

You're trying to say you like DOS better than me, right?

Well.... DOS it work?

iamsosorry4that.

5 hours ago, Some Random Doom Noob said:

how much health does the Cyberdemon have?

(https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Cyberdemon)

Why does the super shotgun have vertical spread while the normal shotgun only has horizontal spread?

@ButteredToast This was likely engine-related stuff.

Chaingunner was a large shotgun dude

@LiT_gam3r Not really. All zombie sprites were based on Doomguy's overworld sprite set. The chaingunner in particular is the sprite set streched out and repalletted.

Spoiler

Also the OP formatting is fucking garbage. In a thread like this, it is expected to have half-serious questions and responses.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer : I wish I could quote everyone properly while editing post...

Sorry for going off topic, but I have to point out this,

image.png.256a6016a6c69d8bb670ad0c154a382a.png

Seriously, this is hysterical. 

Also, should I rename this topic to "The 'Ask a Simple DOOM Question' Thread", because it isn't official, but I feel like it sounds stupid with the "an" instead of "the".