Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Elio AF

Any speedmapping sessions soon?

I was just wondering if any speedmapping megawads or sessions are being made/ currently held or if any are coming up soon.

Also interested, sorta.

Dunno, I've tried speedmapping in the past as a personal exercise and only once of like a dozen attempts has it actually blossomed into something I can use instead of just some pointless aborted rooms with nothing of note to them. I wonder if the energy of being part of a group event kinda thing will change that? Hmmmm.

27 minutes ago, Steve88 said:

You could try doing a 30 minute challenge!

Bruh I'm already full of 30-minute maps. 

I kinda want to make a community project? I just don't think there would be a lot of anticipation. 

3 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

Also interested, sorta.

Dunno, I've tried speedmapping in the past as a personal exercise and only once of like a dozen attempts has it actually blossomed into something I can use instead of just some pointless aborted rooms with nothing of note to them. I wonder if the energy of being part of a group event kinda thing will change that? Hmmmm.

I actually think of speedmapping as my own "game". I tend to run out of ideas if I stretch a map over the span of more than a few hours. 

2 minutes ago, Elio AF said:

I tend to run out of ideas if I stretch a map over the span of more than a few hours

I used to be similar. Rather, it wasn't ideas but motivation. But I've found of late I tend to map better when I take a breather after any significant portion of a map whilst I, away from DOOM Builder, think about it and how it connects (or should connect) to everything else; what I'm doing with the map next, etc.

This isn't really conducive to speedmapping, which is probably a contributing factor in my failure to make anything good of it.

What about a speedmap session where the goal is to make short, high quality maps. It can be just one room as long as it looks and plays beautifully.

11 minutes ago, magicsofa said:

What about a speedmap session where the goal is to make short, high quality maps. It can be just one room as long as it looks and plays beautifully.

I suggest joining the Hellforge Speedmapping Session (HSS).

The HSS is held once a month. The most recent one was last weekend, so there won't be another one until August (probably around the weekend of August 8 or 15). And with Bridgeburner and Liberation hosting, looking and playing beautifully, I think even just one room, would be appreciated. The session is hosted on Bridgeburner's Discord (link in the thread below), but you don't have to be a member of the discord to contribute. Usually, either @Bridgeburner56 or @Liberation update the thread with the details for those not on Discord.

There are usually two sets of six themes (one rather specific, one general) that are announced a few hours before the session, as well as the specific resource file to be used (gothic-tex, CC4-tex, MISCTEX, etc.). The two themes are then randomly chosen on stream and then you have a 2.5 hour limit to make a map, with a 24 hour window for those to contribute who were unable to make the original time slot.

Spoiler

For further information, the rules are:

• There will be a list of themes from which 2 will randomly chosen.
  • Mappers can then chose 1 of these themes for their map. [NOTE:
  • 2 hours of mapping time
  • 15 minutes allowed before the start for planning
  • 15 minutes allowed after for testing/bugfixing
  • Any map format is allowed as long as it works in gzdoom
  • I will stream my speedmapping session and then play all maps on stream that have been submitted in the allotted time straight after the session has ended
  • Different texture pack each time and mek's skies are allowed
  • If people can't make the official time then a speed map can be submitted within 24 hours of the end of the session. Maps submitted after this point will not be added to the compiled set. Maps that are have clearly taken more than 2 hours will not be accepted (generally using an honor system).

Bridge and Lib are usually fairly relaxed about the whole process, so you wouldn't have to stress about it overly much.

Spoiler

As an example, the session last weekend used CC4-TEX as the resource pack, and the two sets of themes were:

Specific Theme

1. Crusher progression

2. Time limited

3. BFG, 1000 monsters

4. Weapon slot 9 - Barrels

5. 1024

6. Just imps [THIS WAS THE THEME RANDOMLY CHOSEN]

General Theme

1. Castle

2. Hell

3. Temple

4. Ruins [THIS WAS THE THEME RANDOMLY CHOSEN]

5. Space station

6. Tech base

The thread below contains links to the compilations from the first 5 sessions.

8 hours ago, Pegleg said:

I suggest joining the Hellforge Speedmapping Session (HSS).

We ran one last weekend :D

Next one will most likely be 1st weekend of August

Oh my god and actual chance to plug stuff.
This is on Saturday.  This like has a discord with further details.