Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

@hybridial Well, both games have their similarities but ultimately are very different beasts, so no wonder the experience varied drastically. Headshots are also something I personally struggled with but upgrades really do help in this game and make the weapons much more practical, the pistol actually remains quite relevant later on once it's fully upgraded. I know it did for me, at least, in my rampage - well I'm crap at stealth in general, what, you expected me to be silent in this game? Nah fuck that, run and gun baby, I killed everything in sight :p .

Headshots only became very viable once I got the sniper, at that point most soldiers just died in one quick shot. I just can't refrain from not handling things by killing when it's an options versus something like stealth which tends to be just so much more methodic and slow sometimes. And they say violence solves nothing, pff, nerds.

But the movement will always be crap to me due to the floaty-ness and the buggy collision of SS2, clipping through stairs and whatnot, it's as if that game wants you to be stationary rather than moving, every time I think of it, it only pisses me off more. Deus Ex felt just so much tighter in comparison.

3 minutes ago, seed said:

But the movement will always be crap to me due to the floaty-ness and the buggy collision of SS2, clipping through stairs and whatnot, it's as if that game wants you to be stationary rather than moving, every time I think of it, it only pisses me off more. Deus Ex felt just so much tighter in comparison.

I didn't really find SS2 to have problematic collision or anything, really. And its not that I disliked Deus Ex's movement physics, it was fine, I kinda liked SS2's chunkier feel though. But you know what is terrible on both and also on the Thief games?

Ladders. Its almost like Warren Spector said "Okay we're going to use Unreal for this but the ladders still need to be the most terrible things ever because a ladder killed my family". 

1 minute ago, hybridial said:

I didn't really find SS2 to have problematic collision or anything, really. And its not that I disliked Deus Ex's movement physics, it was fine, I kinda liked SS2's chunkier feel though. But you know what is terrible on both and also on the Thief games?

Ladders. Its almost like Warren Spector said "Okay we're going to use Unreal for this but the ladders still need to be the most terrible things ever because a ladder killed my family". 

I did, I've got stuck on ladders quite a few times in SS2 and the overall floaty-ness made precise player control and jumping very difficult to achieve, which became only more problematic the more I advanced into the game and enemies became more frequent, requiring either more stealth or more running depending on the situation, by the time I got near the end of the game it became unbearable and I had to force myself to reach the final fight - combat typically needs to be avoided in my opinion anyway, since in this game you can never clear anything, enemies respawn so it's a waste of time, apart from killing only what's necessary.

@seed

One thing that is definitely true of System Shock 2 is its final sections are terrible. Objectively bad, I loved the game and can fully admit that. In fact if I replay it through again, I did that shit once, I can god mode it from now on and I will. By that point it isn't an issue with your expectations the game just falls off a cliff once you get into the body of the many. 

However the majority of the game which is great, I loved because its survival horror dungeon crawl. Because its more of a test of your ability to prioritise, figure out what you have to do and figure out what obstacles need to be dealt with and its not Bioshock and its not a shooter, it is Resident Evil x Metroid x Dungeons & Dragons. I fucking love it, up until the end. 

And I haven't been around as much lately because well, I'm a bit bored of Doom (sweats as now everybody has their BFGs pointing at my head) and of most of the other FPSes too. Still gotta finish Amid Evil though so I probably will do that at some point. 

I was taking a break from a Baldur's Gate saga playthrough for Deus Ex but at this point I will probably go back to that, and Planescape Torment and Fallout 2 also need attention so I'll be busy for a while. 

*edit* and I completely forgot to even mention Desperados 3, which I've also been playing and I think is excellent, and maybe the greatest stealth game ever made. Adore it, I'm on the second last level and its been a blast. 

I'm playing Minecraft 1.16 these days. The latest Nether update is pretty amazing and brings a whole bunch of challenges and fun new things to explore in the Nether realm. After a long hiatus, I came back to this game once again after this 1.16 update.

Getting a handle on Beat Saber, working my way through Akeldama for the DWmegawad club, and farming stuff in Fate Grand Order since there's a half-AP event going on right now for daily quests (good chance to get one of my support casters up to snuff).

21 hours ago, hybridial said:

I was playing Deus Ex....So the simple fact is whenever I confront enemies in Deus Ex, I make a plan, to deal with them before any alarm can be hit. But I cannot rely on making a one hit kill headshot. I cannot rely on anything other than a stealth melee hit dropping an enemy in one shot. Maybe if I levelled up pistols again, maybe it would but I don't know

I use the prod mostly for the first third of the game and then I modify a sniper rifle with a silencer and that becomes my go-to weapon for taking people out silently. The crossbow is also handy with tranquilizer darts but sometimes enemies set off alarms before they go down so it's a bit hit-and-miss really.

Started playing Middle Earth--Shadow of War since I enjoyed the first game.   So far I like it.  I forgot how much fun the named orc are with their taunting.   

Currently playing a lot of DOOM, DOOM 2 and Quake 3 Arena.

Trying to improve on Everybody's golf 7, save scumming my way through BTSX Episode 1 on UV and relaxing with Far Cry 3 classic edition. 

Like I said in another thread, playing GTA V. It has surpassed all of my expectations and I'm having an absolute blast with it. Did 3 playthroughs of Hylics 2 as well. Highly recommend Hylics 2 if you're into weird, surreal and psychedelic aesthetic.

34 minutes ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

. Did 3 playthroughs of Hylics 2 as well. Highly recommend Hylics 2 if you're into weird, surreal and psychedelic aesthetic.

That's a game I want to experience on a psychological level, but unsure if my sub-psychological level would appreciate it.

Replaying for first time Shadow Warrior 2013.

Also downloading far cry 3 and blood dragon.

46 minutes ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

Did 3 playthroughs of Hylics 2 as well. Highly recommend Hylics 2 if you're into weird, surreal and psychedelic aesthetic.

Been waiting for Hylics 2, unfortunately i can't play it right now. My PC is getting really old.

11 minutes ago, Chopkinsca said:

That's a game I want to experience on a psychological level, but unsure if my sub-psychological level would appreciate it.

Don't stress it too much. Its relaxing game like the first part that lets you decide how to play it.

The surrealism of the game has little to no psychological meaning. Surrealism is pretty random, so most of what you see and experience is there just to through you off and amuse you, nothing like what you would expect from a jrpg.

Aside from that, i'm playing an Android JRPG: Asdivine Hearts. Quite good aside from the generic graphics. Its has a good development on the story, the characters are funny and likeable, and for my surprise, it pretty long for a cellphone game, and most important, its a real challenge! Even while overleveled, bossfights need a good strategy or they will kick your butt really hard.

Fallout 76... originally it was a buggy, boring, steaming POS (my disappointment was immeasurable and my day was ruined) but figured i’d give it another go now that they have added NPC’s.

Still not expecting much and still have a bad taste in my mouth from the original release but hopefully i’ll be pleasantly surprised this time through :-D

Replaying Arkham Asylum to clean up the last few achievements for 100%. It has... really not aged well combat wise. Lacks the responsiveness the rest of the series had, almost feels like you're fighting the game itself to let you get hits in as opposed to fighting the thugs themselves.

29 minutes ago, Rampy470 said:

Replaying Arkham Asylum to clean up the last few achievements for 100%. It has... really not aged well combat wise. Lacks the responsiveness the rest of the series had, almost feels like you're fighting the game itself to let you get hits in as opposed to fighting the thugs themselves.

Yep, agreed.

Overall though I would not say it is the combat itself that aged poorly in this game, but on PC just how awkward the whole configuration is that ruins it, it was clearly designed for a controller and it was not optimized for a traditional PC setup at all, unlike the sequels and Origins, but Origins just copy pasted City so whatever.

The combos are made with multiple buttons here, versus just one - Y, T, and R - the Batclaw is on C if I remember correctly versus 2 in the later games - also no Batclaw Slam at all -, and you have to use fucking keyboard keys to steer a remote Batarang, wtf?

Apart from these issues though, I don't think the combat itself worsened after the vast improvements it saw later, but it is definitely harder to keep the combos going here, there's less moves and abilities, and Titans are definitely underwhelming here - also no Ride, Shock, and Charge attacks either. But I can forgive this, since it's still so good and polished in all the other areas. It knows what it does well, and it does it well enough.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl 

Still a great experience. Graphics have held up well although you do get the occasional texture that reminds you of a PS2 game but some of the character models are still impressive. People complain about the weapons being inconsistent but if you play on the highest difficulty you only have yourself to blame if you're not hitting enemies. I haven't really played an FPS game that has a genuine sense of trepidation like this game gives you, either before or since. I first played this game back in 2007 but I still haven't gotten around to playing either of the sequels yet. Might do that after this playthrough and then try some mods as I only use the ZRP modification just now and that's only really for fixing some bugs.

9 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

Still a great experience. Graphics have held up well although you do get the occasional texture that reminds you of a PS2 game but some of the character models are still impressive. People complain about the weapons being inconsistent but if you play on the highest difficulty you only have yourself to blame if you're not hitting enemies. I haven't really played an FPS game that has a genuine sense of trepidation like this game gives you, either before or since. I first played this game back in 2007 but I still haven't gotten around to playing either of the sequels yet. Might do that after this playthrough and then try some mods as I only use the ZRP modification just now and that's only really for fixing some bugs.

I always found it interesting how the game actually punishes you to an extent if you don't play on the highest setting, as not only do the enemies' shots not register sometimes, but neither do yours, so it works both ways, you're not doing yourself much of a favor to play on lower skill settings in this series.

9 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

DON'T JUST STAND THERE I SAID COME IN 

DON'T JUST STAND THERE I SAID COME IN

Playing MAP10 of Hacx. Looks like cubic crap, but maybe that's how cyberspace looks.

I have 100%ed Arkham Asylum and now never have to touch it again.

Unless Return to Arkham ever gets ported to PC. Which if Microsoft buys WB games is entirely possible.

27 minutes ago, Rampy470 said:

I have 100%ed Arkham Asylum and now never have to touch it again.

Unless Return to Arkham ever gets ported to PC. Which if Microsoft buys WB games is entirely possible.

I still can't believe Return was never porter to PC, blows my mind. They ported it to UE4 that could handle the open world setting of those games much better, and kept it console exclusive. Motherfuckers...

But until then, I hope the new WB Montreal Batman game is coming soon, they announced that games will be revealed/teased next month.

On 7/16/2020 at 8:25 AM, Kut said:

Playing MAP10 of Hacx. Looks like cubic crap, but maybe that's how cyberspace looks.

More a proof of concept than proper levels, underrated game nonetheless though, I'll have to play it again (only beat it once in 2014).

1 hour ago, Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur said:

army crawling through the blood and barb wire that is the Haruspex playthrough of Pathologic HD

20200718002742_1.jpg

The art style looks interesting to me, I'd have to give that a try.