• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Remade Textures Remaking

Rellik said:

Meh, everyone steals textures.

Hello?

You quoted gothicdm.txt instead of gothictx.txt. Check the difference.

JDoom with big textures or doom2.exe, still the same game. What I'm saying here is eye candy isn't important like many other things in the world.

Law said:

JDoom with big textures or doom2.exe, still the same game. What I'm saying here is eye candy isn't important like many other things in the world.

Of course you are right. But a lot of people think differently. Otherwise no one would care about a source port like JDoom.

And regarding the hi-res textures: I think most of them suck and totally ruin the atmosphere of the original Doom. There are a few good ones in there but nothing that could convince me to play Doom with 'em...

Hello?

You quoted gothicdm.txt instead of gothictx.txt. Check the difference.

WTF are you talking about? I'm talking about GothicDM, why would I quote any other text file?

Cause "the other file" is the resource file from where people can draw resourcesfrom. You're quoting the actual DM map set people can't mess with.

And of course, the main point of my post was not pointing out your ignorance about that, but your insane statement promoting the theft of other people's work. You get it now?

How hard is it for you to understand that I'm talking about the GothicDm wad? And you're calling me ignorant?

It's not cool to steal peoples textures and call them your own, but it happens just like in the above example.

Of course I am calling you that. It's nice to see you understand and even post again to make it even clearer.

It strikes me everytime someone "improves" the look of doom they add a 200% ass factor to the visuals...

Some people need to learn to love the pixel.

mewse said:

Ahh the classic "if you're so superior, do it yourself" argument.

I say "City by the Sea" was a bad movie, but I am automatically wrong. After all, instead of sitting on my ass and complaining about it I should be creating my own movie, right?

Maybe you could actually respond to some of the arguments on this thread instead of complaining about the "community"'s "pessimistic attitude".

Your new textures aren't being created by Photoshop filters, are they?

Ah, the classic "over analyzed so much that I completely missed the point" arguement. Noone here has done anything, if you don't plant seeds you still get dirt.

Maybe it's the fact that I have been doing this for the Darkplaces engine months ago that makes your long winded argument loose any water it might have heald in some far away dimention left of planet god-knows-what.

Or the fact that the only texture set for this wonderful.. project.. that came from this community is from one person, and yet it can generate so much negative feedback.

Don't get me started on some of the texture sets people get up in arms about, that are just hacked up garbage based on the original Id textures.. Only due to the fact that the "author" is probibly too lazy to go out and read a book and learn how to do this themselves.

Time for some constructive criticism rather than mindless flaming.

While this project is currently in a bit of a mess, IMHO it has a great deal of potential. Basically, they need to do three things:

1) Replace all the ugly textures. This includes pretty much all of the resized ID textures. Yes you CAN get resized textures to look good, but it often requires more work than if you were to recreate them from scratch.

2) Make all the textures in a 'group' actually go together. For example, at the moment there are TEKGRENx textures that don't go together, and CEMENTx is the same.

2) Make a decision over whether the textures are going to be two times, four times, eight times, 6.25 times, etc bigger than normal, and then use this same ratio for all the textures. At the moment there are all kinds of different sizes used, and it looks rather strange.

Rellik said:

Meh, everyone steals textures. Look how many Quake textures ended up in GothicDm, who's .txt says:

Funny how they forgot to give id any credit. :p Does it really matter? They say this is a jumping off point and from here they can start really refining stuff. I give 'em another year to either prove themselves or bury themselves.

All the other lemmings jumped off that cliff, it must be alright for me to do the same!

(Yes, I know lemmings don't really jump off cliffs en masse.)

darknation said:

It strikes me everytime someone "improves" the look of doom they add a 200% ass factor to the visuals...

Some people need to learn to love the pixel.

They're especially lovable when they're 64x the size they should be.