Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaws In Space

Switcheroom 2 (Now on IDGAMES!!!!!)

17 hours ago, Noiser said:

Name: The Trickery Domain

Cool map, I like the way you kept the basic ideas of the original map, but made them something very different at the same time. I'll be honest I'm not skilled enough to play this on UV, but HMP was well balanced with no overly frustrating spots.

What is the name of the midi that you used here?

Sadly, got an error which erased most of my work on this map (plus had been busy all day and before that). I can send whatever I did make so you could probably use it in your version of hellish MAP04.

After some PM chatting with Jaws and some days of work on and off and testing it in private way with Jaws, i'm giving you this:

3s3HeyO.png

http://www.mediafire.com/file/o5n1pihaxy9fd9n/focus-in-hell-style-2.wad/file

Title: Tomb of the Apostate

Slot: MAP23

Music: "The Oath" by Merciful Fate (it could be changed if it's not good for the project)

I hope it could be ok, tell me what do you think

Jaws, I remember you mentioned that the maps will be listed "based on their difficulty". Do you mean difficulty when played sequentially or pistol-starting each map individually?

13 hours ago, Lingyan203 said:

Jaws, I remember you mentioned that the maps will be listed "based on their difficulty". Do you mean difficulty when played sequentially or pistol-starting each map individually?

Placing maps based on difficulty is only the baseline of how I order the maps, there's a lot more that goes into it. For example Tourniquet's map 23 is probably the easiest of the Hell maps, but Megalyth's map is a much better opener to Hell & I want Scifista's map in the earliest spot possible due to how small it is. There's other factors as well, like putting maps with similar design & playstyle close together.

Alright everybody this project is nearly ready for testing, all we are waiting on is one WIP map which I expect to get this week, then one map update from Shadesmaster. If anyone else wants to get any other minor updates in, get them to me now. Also @Noiser & @Tactical Stiffy I still need to know what midis you used in your maps.

On 5/31/2020 at 8:07 AM, Jaws In Space said:

Alright everybody this project is nearly ready for testing, all we are waiting on is one WIP map which I expect to get this week, then one map update from Shadesmaster. If anyone else wants to get any other minor updates in, get them to me now. Also @Noiser & @Tactical Stiffy I still need to know what midis you used in your maps.

I know this is a late response, but better late than never I guess. I got my midi from http://en.midimelody.ru/ The midi is Taste of my Scythe by Children of Bodom.

18 minutes ago, Tactical Stiffy said:

I know this is a late response, but better late than never I guess. I got my midi from http://en.midimelody.ru/ The midi is Taste of my Scythe by Children of Bodom.

Thanks for letting me know.

For everyone else in case you were wondering why we didn't get a beta release last month it's because Faceman accidentally remade the wrong map, which is a somewhat common occurrence for these Switcheroom projects. Hopefully he can get us the correct map before August rolls around.

Yeah, sincerely sorry about that. The map is close to being finished - I hope to have it done by this weekend for y’all. Thanks again for everyone’s patience.

On 7/15/2020 at 5:02 PM, Faceman2000 said:

Yeah, sincerely sorry about that. The map is close to being finished - I hope to have it done by this weekend for y’all. Thanks again for everyone’s patience.

All good!

Here you go everyone! Map29 in Starport style!

I haven't fully implemented difficulty settings yet and haven't touched deathmatch - wanted to get feedback and finalize everything else first. Difficulty should be pretty true to the original.

Map name: The Waste Pit

Slot: Map09

Midi: First Person Shooter (Doom Movie) by @apb/Nabernizer

Tested in Chocolate Doom and GZDoom.

I'm gonna be camping the rest of the weekend so I'll be out of touch till Sunday but I'll make any and all necessary updates then!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gy3HG-m1jnIURp-tyLXvlvFS3wTtqCHv/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Faceman2000

3 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

I'm gonna be camping the rest of the weekend so I'll be out of touch till Sunday but I'll make any and all necessary updates then!

Same for myself, so I'll play this & get you feedback on Sunday.

On 7/18/2020 at 3:11 AM, Faceman2000 said:

Here you go everyone! Map29 in Starport style!

Okay I just got done playing the map on UV & here are the things that I think need to be addressed.

- Both ammo & health were very tight on this map. There's enough here to kill everything, but there's really no margin for error which takes the fun out of the map. It makes the gameplay slow way down because the player has to be very careful not to make any mistakes.

-I wasn't a fan of the tight platforms on the west side of the map.There's no room to dodge attacks & if you fall off you might as well count it as a death.

-Sector #119 doesn't need to be tagged as secret.

-Line #390 probably should be textured as a door.

-The Plasma Gun secret isn't well marked at all, also it probably shouldn't even be in a secret since it is necessary for beating the cyberdemon at the end of the map.

-The red & silver room with the teleporting Hell Knights didn't really work. Every time I went in there to kill the hell knights I would die, so I was pretty much forced to door camp that area & wait for the hell knights to eventually make there way over to me in order to beat that room.

-The 3 key bar doors were a bit messed up. The player is required to press 2 different sectors for each key color to fully open them, & the lower textures should not be marked as unpegged.

-For the final fight I would remove the Cyberdemon & have a completely different kind of fight. Having a cyber there is a bit too mush of a ripoff of the original level.

4 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! I will implement each of those changes and get it back to you!

Hi there, I also noticed that the exit switch does not work. I pressed on it and it didn't do anything.

19 minutes ago, Lingyan203 said:

Hi there, I also noticed that the exit switch does not work. I pressed on it and it didn't do anything.

Wait serious? Freak. I might’ve thrown an older build up than I meant to. XD

Most of the revisions are in place. Trying to figure out what to do with the teleporting Hell Knight room and what to replace the cyber encounter with.

16 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

Wait serious? Freak. I might’ve thrown an older build up than I meant to. XD

Most of the revisions are in place. Trying to figure out what to do with the teleporting Hell Knight room and what to replace the cyber encounter with.

Yes I tested your map right when you posted and I found the exit switch doesn't do anything.

@Faceman2000I tested the map as well (PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 -complevel 2), and indeed the exit switch is broken.

I also want to say the resources are very tight, and I basically agree with what Jaws said there, and here are a little bit more:

- The secret with 2 Cell Packs can be bumped very easily, so I would suggest putting the Cell Packs a little bit more inside.

- I would say the 3 key bars room is quite messy. I would just give a suggestion, but you can take whatever you think it's right. Originally players is traversing the platforms and may drop into the lava, but here, the players are forced to take the side in order to avoid pain sector damage, so the pain sector being 20% is a little bit harsh IMO. Also, I would suggest using switches to lower bars and release the Barons (or whatever you want to place behind those bars). Right now, the player can open everything except the last set and kill the Barons through the holes, which almost makes the Barons not a threat at all.

10 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

@Faceman2000I tested the map as well (PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 -complevel 2), and indeed the exit switch is broken.

I also want to say the resources are very tight, and I basically agree with what Jaws said there, and here are a little bit more:

- The secret with 2 Cell Packs can be bumped very easily, so I would suggest putting the Cell Packs a little bit more inside.

- I would say the 3 key bars room is quite messy. I would just give a suggestion, but you can take whatever you think it's right. Originally players is traversing the platforms and may drop into the lava, but here, the players are forced to take the side in order to avoid pain sector damage, so the pain sector being 20% is a little bit harsh IMO. Also, I would suggest using switches to lower bars and release the Barons (or whatever you want to place behind those bars). Right now, the player can open everything except the last set and kill the Barons through the holes, which almost makes the Barons not a threat at all.

Thanks for the insights. I did go ahead and lower the damage there last night cuz yeah, it really did make it unfair. I was trying to go for a Sigil-esque limited movement thing, but it really wound up being about getting lucky rather than being good. I also reworked the way those three doors work, but you’re right - reverting it to switches is just a better option. Thanks again for the input! :)

Okay, here we go: round 2! I've made the suggested modifications and tweaked a couple things myself. Plasma Gun is no longer a secret, the teleporting Hell Knight room has been shrunk down and is more similar to the original, the narrow walkways on the west side have been enlarged, and the final battle consists of an Archvile and two Pain Elementals rather than a Cyberdemon (some cover has been added). Health and ammo have been rebalanced and are better distributed throughout the level, and the eastern section has been reworked so it functions better.

Thanks again for all the input, this is definitely a better level as a result.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EEKL8vPFUDqq2UMh1zbKr-4HcD1g4uOz/view?usp=sharing

Edit: Oh yeah, par time is 4:15. Dunno if you're including those or not but it's the fastest I was able to play through the level.