Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roebloz

What ports do YOU use?

GZDoom is the only source port I need for my mods, Zandronum the only one that people ever thought to make multiplayer-compatible.

Around 2012 and 2014 or '16 I used ZDaemon, but the first two I mentioned are the ones I currently use.

GZDoom for the base games and the occasional mods.

Zandronum and ZDaemon for Multiplayer.

PrBoom+ 8-bit for old or vanilla-textured wads, GlBoom for modern or good-looking wads. Always applying the correct complevel. Sometimes I feel like using Chocolate Doom, but it's not that common lately. GZDoom only if needed by the wad.

Crispy or Chocolate. I'd use the new unity port too, but the mouse lag makes it unplayable for me.

PrB+ (most of the time)

ZDaemon (often, for rocket jump maps)

Eternity (sometimes)

ZDoom281 (rarely)

GZDoom (VERY rarely, preferably never, necessary evil yada yada)

PrBoom+ w/gl renderer 90% of the time on pc. I'll fire up doom retro ocassionally for fun, and GZDoom for any mod that needs it.

On android I use GZDoom with software rendering at 848x480, and doom strict comp settings. I just like the software look. I'd probably use prboom instead, but for some reason it's almost unplayable. I only play there every once in a while, so I don't care if it's not as accurate.

On 7/1/2020 at 7:23 PM, Roebloz said:

Yeah I know, but you can't deny its one of the most popular.

Sure, I can.  I can have any opinion I want until I'm proven wrong.  I seem to remember a poll within the past year where PR/GLBoom+ beat GZDoom in popularity, I'm not gonna go look for it but I'm pretty sure.

As for what I use:

GZDoom when I want to use mods and PRBoom+ when I don't.

48 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

Eternity is my default for playing in, unless another port is specifically required. EE is just comfy.

Yep, same here.

I actually used to use Skulltag as my usual single player port back when I was still active in the MP scene (i.e. back when it was still called Skulltag), but Eternity just hits the spot for me these days. Something about Eternity's mouse control has also always felt particularly nice to me.

On 7/2/2020 at 1:38 PM, Hydra Spectre said:

LZDoom since my laptop is an ancient toaster that can't run GZDoom with hardware rendering.

Also, DZDoom for the PS1 versions and Doom 64.

Also also, I use DOSBox most of the time.

Crispy Doom for vanilla and limit removing.

Eternity for Boom and MBF (sometimes PrBoom+.)

ZDoom 2.8.1 for older wads that use some of those more "advanced" features, but don't explicitly require GZDoom.

GZDoom for the rest.

I'm a bit of a junkie for mods, so GZDoom has ended up as my default. Used Zandronum a couple times for multiplayer, though haven't had a ton of opportunities at that.

GZDoom and Crispy are my defaults. I wish I could use PRBoom and Eternity but I get motion sickness from the mouse movement, even though it says acceleration is off.

On 7/5/2020 at 12:21 AM, Hydra Spectre said:

Also also, I use DOSBox most of the time.

Why dosbox over chocolate?

Crispy for vanilla-only playthroughs and Dehacked stuff, Jay-Z for everything else.

5 hours ago, Hydra Spectre said:

I got it on GOG and I just run the vanilla shortcut.

In that case I'd recommend giving Crispy Doom a shot. It's very vanilla with a few extra options (increased resolution, unlocked framerate etc). You can just extract it to your GOG Doom folder and run it from there.

Chocolate Doom for vanilla WADs (most of the time).

Crispy Doom for limit-removing WADs.

ZDoom for funkier stuff.

Currently testing Woof, maybe my future BOOM/MBF port.

Update: I've officially switched over to Crispy Doom. :-)

Edited by xzotikk

I just realized that my monitor supports Freesync, so I enabled G-Sync and it fixed every "mouse" issue I've had with PrBoom+, though it still stutters and acts goofy if I cap the framerate (uncapped framerate and interpolation are not in my diet), but the PrBoom+ fork with UMAPINFO support is completely flawless in that regard and is my new go-to (Update: It might be SDL2 that fixes it, the 2.5.1.5.test seems to have no issue either). Though Eternity Engine and GZDoom seem to be the only ports that support chapter select for wads like Ancient Aliens and Eviternity, unless I'm missing something (which is likely).

Edited by Lippeth

On 7/4/2020 at 5:49 AM, guitardz said:

Sure, I can.  I can have any opinion I want until I'm proven wrong.  I seem to remember a poll within the past year where PR/GLBoom+ beat GZDoom in popularity, I'm not gonna go look for it but I'm pretty sure.

As for what I use:

GZDoom when I want to use mods and PRBoom+ when I don't.

Screenshot_20200718-005327_Chrome.jpg

3 minutes ago, Valboom said:

Screenshot_20200718-005327_Chrome.jpg

People make these polls here quite often.  They fluctuate pretty heavily depending on who sees them and decides to vote.  My point was there is no real objective way to determine how many people use a particular source port and these polls are not indicative of actual popularity.

GZDoom. Occasionally Chocolate Doom or Crispy Doom, but I usually play GZDoom tweaked to be as vanilla as possible gameplay and visual wise minus the resolution. Higher resolution is very nice. Also, the interface is comfy for me.
I used to use Zandronum as my go to port back when I had a potato laptop because it ran most GZDoom stuff well and ran better on my laptop. But I don't use it anymore.

Chocorenderlimits, prboom (or prboom-plus), zandronum and gzdoom for majority of time. Then other ports I use is Crispy Doom, eternity engine and way more rarely I play with boom 2.02, risen3d, woof (winMBF remake) and zdaemon