Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Unpopular Doom Opinions

11 minutes ago, ‹rd› said:

lmao at the preview text. Yeah that thread was a mistake too, so I fully endorse starting this one so I wouldn't have the active 'controversial opinions' thread. :)

Actually I didn't know you posted that one. I don't know why, but I feel talking about these "controversial opinions" is not really your thing. Maybe you'll post some replies, but wouldn't have started a thread. :P

Sometimes I like to read these in particular situations, but mostly won't post anything in it.

Then let this be the new thread :)

It's inherent to a subforum named 'Doom General' that topics will be recycled anyway

On 6/14/2020 at 7:35 PM, ‹rd› said:

lmao at the preview text. Yeah that thread was a mistake too, so I fully endorse starting this one so I wouldn't have the active 'controversial opinions' thread. :)

Still not as bad as the edgelord stuff that keeps popping in the "Share a random fact about yourself" thread

E: 1 year later and now I realize this post was also totally not worth making lol

Edited by sluggard

4 hours ago, sluggard said:

Still not as bad as the Edgelord stuff that keeps popping in the "Share a random fact about yourself" thread :)

What are some of those?

Said this before, and I'll say it again. I find the first Memento Mori rather boring. And while I'm at it, I find Sheer Poision very overrated.

TNT: Evilution is how Doom 2 should be.

The Plutonia Experiment is Doom 2 the way Nintendo did.

I  find most of Ultimate Dooms maps forgettable,  with a few exceptions, I just don't find them as enjoyable/memorable to play as Doom 2's.

17 hours ago, THT said:

-Doom2 is fugly as hell

Sacrilege! Hold him down, I'll get the rope.

I actually agree with this one, Doom 2 had some great maps but some of the maps were a mess. I enjoyed it back in the 90's when it came out and the new monster additions were fantastic, but map-wise Ultimate Doom wins out for me. It had the atmosphere and more memorable levels. I suppose it comes down to which one you played first.

3 hours ago, TheLoneliness said:

I find most of Ultimate Dooms maps forgettable,  with a few exceptions, I just don't find them as enjoyable/memorable to play as Doom 2's.

I disagree only slightly. E1 and E4 are great, but I'm very much on the same page with you regarding E2, which is a bit meh and E3 just plain sucks.

Edited by Biodegradable

19 hours ago, THT said:

And MAP02 in Doom2 has the worst music you could ever put in a Doom game short of having the bunny music playing every level. Lounge-jazz, really?

I can only endure Doom 2 when using an alternative soundtrack made out of Doom 1 music and some early PWAD tracks for most levels. Too many of its tracks were utter stinkers.

46 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

I disagree only slightly. E1 and E4 are great, but I'm very much on the same page with you regarding E2, which is a bit meh and E4 just plain sucks.

A bit of a contradiction there. I'm assuming you meant E3 or something?

In my opinion Thy Flesh Consumed was the best episode in Ultimate Doom. I'm the odd man out in that regard as most people rate E1 as the best. But each to their own.

And now if you don't mind I'm going to take up position over here and glare daggers at TheLoneliness for his statement. You better have a very good excuse for this slander (i.e wife just left you and you suffered a mental breakdown. Nothing less will suffice).

Until then, there can be no reconciliation between us.

On 7/18/2020 at 7:21 PM, Graf Zahl said:

I can only endure Doom 2 when using an alternative soundtrack made out of Doom 1 music and some early PWAD tracks for most levels. Too many of its tracks were utter stinkers.

I have the same opinion. Is "Message for the Archive" really made for a Doom level?

On 7/18/2020 at 6:01 PM, Final Verdict said:

Sacrilege! Hold him down, I'll get the rope.

I actually agree with this one, Doom 2 had some great maps but some of the maps were a mess. I enjoyed it back in the 90's when it came out and the new monster additions were fantastic, but map-wise Ultimate Doom wins out for me. It had the atmosphere and more memorable levels. I suppose it comes down to which one you played first.

I agree with this too.

1 minute ago, Final Verdict said:

A bit of a contradiction there. I'm assuming you meant E3 or something?

Yup that was a typo lol

4 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Yup that was a typo lol

No worries, I do it all the time.

Besides, I was mostly just having a laugh with my last post anyway.

20 hours ago, THT said:

-Brutal Doom is how the original should be played in the 21st century.

That's brutal, but it sucks.

Theory: Texture filtering exists because we are now in the future. People who are new to doom probably wouldn't understand why someone would want the game to look pixelated and behave weirdly. Ports like GZDoom should come out on top cuz they have moved on from the "vanilla" ages. 

Another one: Infinite height is only useful when you want to exploit it

3 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

I disagree only slightly. E1 and E4 are great, but I'm very much on the same page with you regarding E2, which is a bit meh and E3 just plain sucks.

I have almost the same opinion and that is: E1>E4>E2>>>>E3.

Asking my favorite Ultimate Doom episode is like asking my favorite Beatle. 
Ok I guess people pick favorites there too but they’re all wrong. 

Doom's E2 is harder than both E1 and E3 on Nightmare.

E3 is the easiest. 

E2 is the hardest.

E1 is between them.

Also is there any Nightmare play without vide glide or whatever it is called for E2M6 on youtube? I strongly believe it damages the game so I am not into it.  Without vide glide, by which I mean playing normal way. Anyone on youtube without vide glide? It feels like writting IDCLIP to me. It damages the game.

Edited by Can't play on Nightmare