Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

Sector counts

well after playing the 10sectors wad i came up with this question. What level(s) in doom/doom2 have the least sectors, what has the most and are there any with 10 or less?

Also what about the alpha's does anyone know the specs of those levels?

Least sectors in Doom:

E3M8 - 17 sectors
E2M9 - 19 sectors
E2M8 - 27 sectors

Most sectors in Doom:

E2M7 - 323 sectors
E4M7 - 288 sectors
E3M5 - 268 sectors

Least sectors in Doom 2:

MAP32 - 20 sectors
MAP30 - 22 sectors
MAP07 - 29 sectors

Most sectors in Doom 2:

MAP14 - 348 sectors
MAP15 - 301 sectors
MAP17 - 274 sectors

Wow, that's weird. Even though Doom2 was made in a rush and the levels seem to be smaller and have less to do, those statistics say that Doom2 is actually bigger anyway.

Say, what about TNT and Plutonia? I'm sure those have lots of sectors.

Bigger doesnt mean better. Many of the 10sector maps beat the Doom2 maps IMO. All those sectors in Doom 2 were probably just waste and inneficiency. Same for Final Doom, not that I dont still like these games.

Least sectors in Plutonia

MAP07 - 47 sectors
MAP21 - 58 sectors
MAP16 - 105 sectors

Most sectors in Plutonia

MAP28 - 297 sectors
MAP29 - 287 sectors (you'd think there would be a lot more here)
MAP23 - 245 sectors

Least sectors in Evilution

MAP28 - 102 sectors
MAP01 - 134 sectors
MAP24 - 151 sectors

Most sectors in Evilution

MAP19 - 489 sectors
MAP29 - 477 sectors
MAP09 - 439 sectors

Well, as far as the alphas go, the 0.2 alpha only has 1 small level, which is presumably only one sector. For the rest of the alphas...I can't figure out a way to get sector information from them. Yadex supports editing them, but I'm not running Linux.

Where'd you get that information, Ichor? I was thinking of opening DeePsea and looking, but that would have taken me a while. Thanks though.

Okay, what about Alien Vendetta?? =P

Nanami said:

Wow, that's weird. Even though Doom2 was made in a rush and the levels seem to be smaller and have less to do, those statistics say that Doom2 is actually bigger anyway.

Say, what about TNT and Plutonia? I'm sure those have lots of sectors.

More than anything, this has to do with system specs; a 486 vs. a 386.

Alien Vendetta

Least Sectors

MAP32 - 107
MAP07 - 110
MAP02 - 160

Most Sectors

MAP25 - 901
MAP11 - 955
MAP20 - 1842

Ichor said:

E2M7 - 323 sectors

Before looking at the list I could sense this was the biggest DOOM map... it's an early map, they probably got more conservative after making it as they became more aware of the limitations they'd have to deal with when releasing the game. But it may also have to do with the fact that as the design moved on they started to hurry more through the mapping.

Alpha 0.4 sector amounts:

E1M1 - 236
E1M2 - 61
E1M3 - 72
E1M4 - 124
E1M5 - 223
E1M6 - 5
E1M7 - 69
E1M8 - 131
E1M9 - 226
E1M10 - 36
E1M11 - 109

Alpha 0.5 sector amounts:

E1M1 - 48
E1M2 - 208
E1M3 - 134
E1M4 - 123
E1M5 - 194
E1M6 - 155
E1M7 - 128
E1M8 - 131
E1M9 - 222
E1M10 - 113
E1M11 - 324
E1M12 - 34
E1M13 - 194
E2M1 - 9

well seeing that my other post got closed early i had to make a new post.

Anyway, as u guessed, its about sectors. I want to know if there is a current sectors record holder?

Also what tends to be the average amount of sectors in modern wads apposed to older wads?

Also i would like to know how many sectors are in the maps Sincity and sincity 2(look in newstuff) as well as other zdoom maps?

Highest I've found so far is TnT2.wad at 5604.

Modern vs. older wads - it depends on the author, and whether or not they like putting tons of architecture in wads, and whether they build for doom2.exe or a source port.

I tend to find there's more sectors in ZDoom wads than normal wads. Take my last two wads for example (both have 9 maps) - the Heretic wad had sector counts ranging from 400-800, whereas with the ZDoom wad it ranged from 600-1500. And I consider the architecture more fancy in the Heretic wad (in the ZDoom wad it's realistic rather than fancy).

The most in PAR is 1157 for E1M6, quite a lot of the sectors are merged which brings the count down. Theres a hell of a lot of sidedefs in there (certainly slows Deepsea down).

...checks his Hexen maps just for laughs...

Egad, I didn't realize I used so many sectors in all of my maps. The Haunted Castle has 1220 sectors, but the map I'm working on now has nearly 950 sectors already.

Highest in my dir is tnt2, with 5604 sectors!

EDIT: aw, UD beat me to it by one minute!

I think the biggest map I made had 530 sectors, and that was the ITSC beta recently. It probably jumped up 40 sectors when I edited it yesterday tho.

Strange... I just checked tnt2.wad using WadAuthor, but it tells me that there's only 1724 sectors in it. It's still quite a lot though.

Ichor said:

Strange... I just checked tnt2.wad using WadAuthor, but it tells me that there's only 1724 sectors in it. It's still quite a lot though.

I used Jim Flynn's stat program.

TNT2 does not have 5000 sectors, I'm fairly sure. The level, although pretty darned good, has a lot of editing flaws. Lots of unclosed sectors and flipped linedefs and lines on top of one another. The sector counter goes up because he didn't delete any unused sectors (DeePsea does this in the error checker). So while he may have had sectors 1-50 at one time, he may have deleted 10-35, but it still counts them. I had a level I made once that it claimed to have a few thousand sectors, but when I learned how to use DeePsea's error check, it went down to about 500.

If I was at home, I could check the wad myself. Somebody do this for me. =P

Nanami said:

Where'd you get that information, Ichor? I was thinking of opening DeePsea and looking, but that would have taken me a while. Thanks though.

Okay, what about Alien Vendetta?? =P

if you have access to a Mac, Hellmaker automatically displays the number of sectors whenever you open a map.