Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
netnomad312

Dumb question about flats...

This sounds incredibly dumb, I know. But, how do you get a new flat to show up in the index? I know that new patches can only be displayed by editing the textures (requiring you to have TEXTURE1 and PNAMES), but is there some entry like that for flats?

I have no experience in creating new flats. I've only modified a couple of existing ones. Can anyone help? (I'm using Wintex to do this)

For flats and sprites, you'll have to use DeuSF to merge your wadfile into the main iwad (you can restore it anytime later). Only then will they show up.

I think there may be other ways to get new flats to show up, but DeuSF is by far the easiest way for me.

Look here for how to fit in flats. This will make them appear properly in any engine, even the standard v1.9:

http://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx2.shtml

DEUSF is only necessary if you want to include sprites and for one reason or another you feel using a DEH patch isn't convenient, but for flats the method described on that URL is always useful.

Also, DEUSF has a better feature than modifying the IWAD; instead it can copy the remaining sprites (as for flats there is no need for DEUSF) into the PWAD, since the old versions of doom must read all the sprites from the same file and can't read them from separate ones (unless the DEH method in that URL is used.)

Also, newer engines can take new flats and sprites in the PWAD without workarounds or problems, but it's better to make your WAD v1.9 compatible unless other features or additions make that impossible.

Yes, that is one of the two things the above link explains (the more relevant one in relation to this post.)

So what I'm getting is, I'm just missing FF_START and FF_END, right? If I create those entries in the right places, should that automatically work? I'm going to try it, anyway. Thanks.

If you do that it might work on some engines, but not all of them, as Sphagne said. But if you want it to work on anything, you have to do as it says on that link I gave above where it says Inserting new floor textures. It's simple, just read it and you'll see the slight difference in relation to what Sphagne proposed.

I don't believe DCK has support for external texture wads, and I'm pretty sure if you try and merge them with your level pwad (as you should before you release it) it will overwrite them and delete them.

What some people like to do is create a second doom2 iwad with all their textures merged into it and then putting them in there like that.

What I used to do when I used Waded was either replace some of the doom2 textures or load the map in Wauthor after I was done and retexture it.

Most newer editors (and prolly some older ones) have support for external resource wads now tho.

DCK supports wall texture wads... if you want new flats to show up in the sector edit dialog, you have to merge your flat wad into doom2.wad with deusf and restore it afterward.

deusf -merge textures.wad
dck
deusf -restore

The answer is simple: use DeePsea

AHAHAHA! DeePsea owns you all! But nobody will admit it.

Anyway, DeePsea's helpfile tells you how to add flats to the wad in a way that will work in any port.

Nanami said:

The answer is simple: use DeePsea

Aaahhhmmmm poooor. :P

Besides, I've tried to use the shareware for years now, and I STILL can't get the hang of it.

Hah! I thought it was just me...

Turns out when I made the entry, it was already in the right place. But it still doesn't show up. Also, though, it seems I didn't need it after all... at least not this time. Maybe I'll just replace another existing one like I did before.

Also, for whoever is interested, I fixed all the bugs in my Tower of WAR demo and posted it to 3dgamers.com as "nntwdemo.zip."