Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

The "Ask a Simple DOOM Question" Thread

3 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Edit: Oh, also, I have a question. Does the 2020 re-release of DOOM 64 allow modding on PC?

Yes, although it is finicky! Making custom maps seems to be no problem and custom music seems to mostly work (except stats screen music is weird). Using other custom assets, such and sounds and sprites, can be done sometimes, but sometimes crashes the game.

3 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

Yes, although it is finicky! Making custom maps seems to be no problem and custom music seems to mostly work (except stats screen music is weird). Using other custom assets, such and sounds and sprites, can be done sometimes, but sometimes crashes the game.

Why would u wanna switch out any of the music or assets, DooM 64 is perfect as is

On 7/16/2020 at 6:15 AM, LiT_gam3r said:

Were there any WADs before ORIGWAD, because it was a PWAD, so there could have been some IWADs somewhere, somehow (though I HIGHLY doubt it) or another PWAD that was like secretly hidden that nobody noticed until now. Only a couple of days later, CROSS.WAD was released, so what are the chances that people had created the first WADs alongside each other. the DOOM Wiki's first paragraph says, 

I highlighted perhaps, as it shows that it is not certain that this was the first WAD. Also, perhaps means there is a chance, not a high or low chance, just a chance. I remember hearing somewhere that there might have been a WAD released Jan. 26, 1994. Though, that date might be false.  Have you seen any earlier WADs than the ORIGWAD Pwad?

There is Doom Extra Hard, but its more of a gross hack than a proper WAD.

And here is the thread discussing by, who else, Maes:

Can you fix the scale of the status bar with Vanilla Essence 4:3 resolution so it looks like in Chocolate Doom?

Also, can you have the Revenant death sound from Chocolate Doom?

By the way, by contrasting Chocolate Doom and Vanilla Essence you can tell that 35 fps mode in the latter is too choppy so use Framerate Limiter in Reshade instead.

2020-07-17_095000.jpg

Edited by <<Rewind

On 7/16/2020 at 6:13 AM, LiT_gam3r said:

here's one I've been wondering for a while, now. Who is the most famous person in the DOOM Community (not including members that are or were once part of ID)?

Zero Master for the speed running side of things... that dude/girl is a straight up DooM god and has found ways to activate a lot of the previously “broken” secrets :-D

Jury is still out if he/she is actually human though as have heard rumours he/she is a cyborg from the 31st century just sent back to make us look bad / expand our knowledge of DooM ;-P

Also should shout out Decino too :-) Don’t think he is one of the most well known but his YouTube’s channel is just awesome (does DooM play through and analysis vids) :-D

On 7/13/2020 at 7:26 AM, Archanhell said:

Why does the Cyberdemon have such booty?

I know, right?

3 hours ago, <

Can you fix the scale of the status bar with Vanilla Essence 4:3 resolution so it looks like in Chocolate Doom?

Try scaling the status bar to "3" not "adapt to the screen size" (I don't remember the exact words).

3 hours ago, <

Also, can you have the Revenant death sound from Chocolate Doom?

What do you mean? Source ports don't change any sounds from the game.

Edited by dmslr

There are some statistics in the bottom of the front page:

Most Online

February 15, 2015

Does anyone have an idea why this date is special? Were there any events? Or is it just a random date with the peak of DW's popularity?

6 minutes ago, dmslr said:

Does anyone have an idea why this date is special? Were there any events? Or is it just a random date with the peak of DW's popularity?

instaDoom

Probably not a simple question: Is there a source port that allows me to entirely disable loading and saving of games? Let's say I want to make a super-faithful FPS Contra or something.

3 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

Probably not a simple question: Is there a source port that allows me to entirely disable loading and saving of games? Let's say I want to make a super-faithful FPS Contra or something.

No, but you could always make a bunch of save files and mark them as read-only if you're using Chocolate Doom.

4 hours ago, Jayextee said:

The one thing i instantly remember is ManDoom, which disallows saving and loading and has permadeath.

On 7/16/2020 at 7:12 PM, GarrettChan said:

No, it doesn't increase. Using AA Map18 to explain, there are 2 type of total for PrBoom+:

Smart total (but it's also not that smart) will say K 0/237 at the beginning, the number will only increase when an original monsters is killed. However, if any of these monsters got resurrect, the number won't decrease. Let's say if you are at 50/237, and you killed an Imp and got up to 51. Then if that Imp got resurrected, you're still at 51/237 (you're supposed to be at 50). Later you kill the Imp again, you'll still stay at 51. Therefore, even you're at 237/237, you can only safely say "you killed every original monsters at least once", and you can't guarantee that "every original monsters are dead at the moment".

Not-so-smart total (but it's also not dumb :P) will say K 0 M 237 at the beginning to show you how many monsters are placed. Whenever you kill something, K will increase by 1 and M will decrease by 1. However, the problem is that M shows living monsters, including things spawned by the IoS, so the total of K + M will be beyond 237 at the end of the map. However, when something got resurrected in this case, K will decrease by 1 and M will increase by 1. For non-IoS maps, this is a better way to know whether you Max-ed the map since you must kill resurrected things.

That makes sense. Maybe they should make a special IoS kill count, but I guess it's kind of an edge case. Anyways, thanks for the elaborate answer!

21 minutes ago, auxo said:

That makes sense. Maybe they should make a special IoS kill count, but I guess it's kind of an edge case. Anyways, thanks for the elaborate answer!

Heh, probably when they made Doom 2, they didn't even think of the community can last for this long and speedrunning is still popular at this moment. Also, I feel that at least the mapping community at least consider making every map theoretically UV Max-able. (I'm looking at you, Unholy Realms Map30!)

I could wrong about this, but it seems that on Boom compatibility, the monster spawner won't spawn Arch-vile? If so, it seems it's not that bad since things won't be accidentally resurrected in an unknown place.

On 7/17/2020 at 1:50 PM, dmslr said:

What do you mean? Source ports don't change any sounds from the game.

Well, yes and no. Some add special sound lumps for events such as chat, menus, secrets etc. But the main difference with vanillla/chocolate is that most disable/don't implement the random pitch variations, which sometimes can be extreme enough to make one think of a "different" sound.

FWIW, the vanilla code allows for (theoretically) up to -400/+400%  pitch variations using a sample skip table, but in practice  variations are more contained, in the -/+ 50% range.

What happens if a map has a Map07 Special and an Icon of Sin? I imagine that each new arachnotron causes the tagged sectors to raise again, but what of the Mancubus? Does the door just open the first time all Mancubus are cleared and nothing happens if subsequent Mancubus are spawned and killed? Does the level crash?

On 7/21/2020 at 4:24 AM, Faceman2000 said:

What happens if a map has a Map07 Special and an Icon of Sin? I imagine that each new arachnotron causes the tagged sectors to raise again, but what of the Mancubus? Does the door just open the first time all Mancubus are cleared and nothing happens if subsequent Mancubus are spawned and killed? Does the level crash?

Great question @Faceman2000!

Don’t have an answer for you unfortunately but that could make some really cool levels if it works (like kill the Mancubi to open a door letting the icon see you and start spawning then you have to kill amount of arachnotrons to raise yourself high enough to kill the icon, etc.) :-D

Hopefully someone smarter than me can answer this and will be keeping an eye out for an answer too :-)

Why do most people have SO MANY source ports? I obviously understand having a few, due to different WADs having different featuresets or needing Boom compatibility, or playing strictly vanilla, or whatever other specific things the WAD needs, but I've heard of people having every source port I've ever heard of (and some I haven't lol). Are there enough differences in each individual port to make it worth it?

25 minutes ago, Ant1 said:

Why do most people have SO MANY source ports? 

depends on the person, they may have different reasonings, maybe so they can play more WADs.

14 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

depends on the person, they may have different reasonings, maybe so they can play more WADs.

I can see having more than one, but I just don't understand having every single one.

a bit different from my other post, but in the same vein. I was wondering what the first Megawad was for DOOM. when I searched it up, it just comes up as origwad, and that was not a Megawad. I mean what was the first multi-episodic, or first 32 level WAD made for DOOM/DOOM II? 

Also, sorry for not having too much detail in my post, I haven't been here in a while (a week) so I'm not very descriptive with any of my posts, I'll get back into it, though. 

12 hours ago, Ant1 said:

Why do most people have SO MANY source ports? I obviously understand having a few, due to different WADs having different featuresets or needing Boom compatibility, or playing strictly vanilla, or whatever other specific things the WAD needs, but I've heard of people having every source port I've ever heard of (and some I haven't lol). Are there enough differences in each individual port to make it worth it?

Different source ports have different advantages, and sometimes I want to try something slightly different, at least for the novelty of it. I don't have every source port under the sun myself, but I can explain what I like or find useful about my non-main source ports (my main source port is PrBoom+).

GZDoom is what I'll use for wads or mods that I can't run in PrBoom+. Especially mods, since there are tons of those that won't run in my favored port.

Crispy Doom feels more vanilla-like, and is simpler to use, but allows a higher framerate and resolution than actual vanilla. It's probably more beginner-friendly than PrBoom+.

Chocolate Doom looks and plays just like actual vanilla (doom2.exe) as far as I can tell, but without being a pain in the ass.

Zandronum, ZDaemon, and Odamex are convenient for multiplayer, but I don't have much experience with them or with multiplayer in general.

12 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

a bit different from my other post, but in the same vein. I was wondering what the first Megawad was for DOOM. when I searched it up, it just comes up as origwad, and that was not a Megawad. I mean what was the first multi-episodic, or first 32 level WAD made for DOOM/DOOM II? 

It's likely to be something from this:

https://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/

In the sections for 1994 and 1995, I see two three-episode series (released as individual episodes) for Doom, and a 32-level megawad for Doom 2 called H2H-Xmas. I haven't played any of these tbh. There could also be some obscure megawad that came out even earlier than these, but I don't know what it is.

15 hours ago, Ant1 said:

Archiving, documentation, playtesting, and so on.

A lot of ports are rather source modifications, adding in specific features that aren't elaborate enough to be a new port, but subtle enough that it would not end up in the main port.

14 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

This is quite literally a question that has been asked often enough to search first.

For individual episodes, the Serenity series. For a full on megawad, NJ DOOM.

14 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Also, sorry for not having too much detail in my post, I haven't been here in a while (a week) so I'm not very descriptive with any of my posts, I'll get back into it, though. 

I do not quite understand how a week absence affects your current capability to write posts.

18 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Does Gzdoom stop working on anybody's pc after doing saves?

What exactly caused GZDoom to stop working on your PC after doing saves?

On 7/13/2020 at 3:37 PM, cambreaKer said:

i'm pretty sure i'd get my ass kicked in less than a milisecond

Wow, you must have a very fast provider! 

20 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

Does Gzdoom stop working on anybody's pc after doing saves?

Do you re-open GZDoom like that?

This is intended and happens only with the pirated versions of Doom.